Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,964,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Also, many of the Irish here are professionals and among them many are in high tech. Of course there are also working class folks as well, but it's a different vibe than back East. It's more of a modern day expat community type feeling.

The Gaelic football thing is a pretty big deal - scarily myself and Clongirl probably know some of the same people ... that's all I'll say, I am a stickler for internet privacy.
Yeah, "scarily"! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,917,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSwagger View Post
yea we arent like the east coast in that everyone has to fit in a sort of "mold" ..like hey guys im irish so im going to drink beer and hang out with other irish and do irish things...nah

we intermingle in california ... thats true diversity. if you want ireland go to ireland..

i wouldnt go to Spain and ask "hey guise wheres the best place to grab a hot dog and celebrate american culture? Where do all the americans live?"
Dang man, there's no need to get all huffy-puffy. I realize California is different than the East. I never said I wanted it to be like the East, and I never said I wanted to be in Ireland. All I did was ask for info on the presence of Irish culture in SF. Sorry if that offends you for some reason.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM

46 posts, read 163,650 times
Younger (college age) Irish kids come over to Berkeley in droves during the summer. Where I stayed there were 6 and the house across the street had 18. They usually only stay for 10 weeks or so, but they are there.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM

85 posts, read 202,636 times
Sunset--agreed--my bf's parents are in the Sunset and Irish...they said up until the second half of the 20th century, the realtors and homeowners tried to keep it mainly Irish and guess who all they discriminated against? I was kind of shocked to hear the full story. I guess SF wasn't always butterflies and rainbows...

Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,327,075 times
Well, these days, certainly no red lining. Our former street (an Avenue in the teens) is now over half Chinese, with only a few Irish. Even when we lived there it was highly diverse (maybe even more truly diverse than now) with just about every race and creed.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:55 PM

75 posts, read 301,700 times
Give me a break. The only thing in San Francisco nowadays are Chinese and Gays.
Irish Presence? Yeah, like it's 1850 or something...

Old 09-13-2009, 01:06 AM

39 posts, read 108,833 times
As a native to San Francisco I can tell you the "Sunset" is not the historical Irish district. Irish lived in the Mission for many years and they also lived in an area called Cow Hollow. I know this from reading up on it. And Frank is right. Irish haven't had a strong presence In San Francisco in over 40-50 years. There are irish pubs in the Sunset but those are new Irish moving into San Francisco and setting up "authentic" pubs. You see them all over the Italian area of North beach as well. But people starting mixes races in the 60s and there ya go.. All go bye bye. Hope that doesn't sound rude.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:47 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,964,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank99 View Post
Give me a break. The only thing in San Francisco nowadays are Chinese and Gays.
Irish Presence? Yeah, like it's 1850 or something...

Well just because you haven't met/know any, doesn't mean they're not around. Step into St Gabriel's, St. Anne's or St Thomas More and you'll find plenty of Irish. How do I know? My children used to attend one of the schools and about a third were Irish. I spend every St Stephen's (day after Christmas) with all of my Irish friends.

Sure, they are all in their late 30's/40's/50's/ 60's and beyond (they all bought their houses prior to the housing bubble) but they exist!

The twenty something Irish tend to move on/move back after a few years..perhaps this is why you don't notice? And no, the Sunset isn't historically Irish but this is where most of the families live now (it was affordable for the blue collar worker).

I do know plenty that moved back to Ireland also during Ireland's "Celtic tiger" (1990's) so you won't see SF looking like the 1800's or anything, but there is still a loose community there.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:51 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,283,984 times
I'm part Irish.

Welcome.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,454,657 times
Irish/Mexican here, my fathers family are from Mayo county originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland