Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM

187 posts, read 490,074 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering, why do (good) wine makers only sell wine in large wine bottles. Is it taboo to sell wine by the 1/2 bottle?

Wine doesn't taste the same a day after opened. Using the air pumps and vaccums doesn't help much. I can't afford those expensive nitrogen gadets.

Why don't more wine makers sell the wine by 1/2 bottles, for those of us who can't drink a whole bottle in one sitting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,015,557 times
Good wine will usually taste fine for at least a couple of days after opened as long as it's corked. If it tastes nasty by the next day after opening, then it probably wasn't good wine to begin with.

I'm not sure how the 750ml bottle became the industry standard, but it works fine for most people. I can easily polish off a whole bottle in an evening (I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but I just have a reasonably high tolerance for it). During holiday family get togethers I can easily drink more than a bottle over the course of a few hours. 750ml really isn't that much wine.

I think you just need to enjoy wine more often and build up some resistance and then you'll be able to drink more of it in one sitting without getting drunk or sick!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,773,356 times
Most wine will stay good for at least 3-4 days as long as you keep it somewhere moderately cool and out of the light. Also- these days you'd be surprised at how good some of the cheap stuff is. There was apparently a glut of wine on the market for the past few years and I've had a number of $5 bottles of wine that honestly were every bit as good as a $30 bottle.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
I'm tipsy after a glass and a half, half the time that amount will cause a mild headache. It is not happening that I'll be able to finish off a bottle anytime this lifetime.

OP: I agree with you. I can't finish off a bottle in a reasonable time where it still tastes great. I have re-purposed the wine for cooking or with dessert.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:09 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,015,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Most wine will stay good for at least 3-4 days as long as you keep it somewhere moderately cool and out of the light. Also- these days you'd be surprised at how good some of the cheap stuff is. There was apparently a glut of wine on the market for the past few years and I've had a number of $5 bottles of wine that honestly were every bit as good as a $30 bottle.
This is very true. Trader Joe's is a great place to pick up cheap, good wine. They always have displays of wine that usually range from $5-$7ish that are pretty good. My wife and I are members of Concannon Winery in Livermore and they make an awesome Rose that's only $4 for members and $6 for non-members...it's really, really good.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,882,903 times
Those big bottles are essentially only 4 glasses, but I agree with you completely.
I don't usually like the wine as much after its been opened the next day or a few days later...and I don't drink it often enough to finish the rest and typically just throw it out. Selling half bottles would be perfect!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,244,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
I'm wondering, why do (good) wine makers only sell wine in large wine bottles. Is it taboo to sell wine by the 1/2 bottle?

Wine doesn't taste the same a day after opened. Using the air pumps and vaccums doesn't help much. I can't afford those expensive nitrogen gadets.

Why don't more wine makers sell the wine by 1/2 bottles, for those of us who can't drink a whole bottle in one sitting?
It doesn't make economic sense for most smaller winemakers to bottle wine in smaller bottles (They're called splits by the way). If you've ever helped bottle wine (even in the mobile bottling units) you would have a great appreciation for what is involved.

Next time you open a bottle, invite more friends to share it with!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,040,350 times
I've never had a problem with putting a cork back in the bottle and drinking it the next day or a few days later. If anything wine can taste better if it's been breathing for a while compared to when you first uncork it, especially if it's an old bottle. But after a while it will lose its alcohol and start to lose its pizzazz.

Maybe trying wine with plastic corks would help since you'd avoid a slightly rotten cork making the wine a little off?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,148,919 times
I'm diabetic -- I can't drink two glasses of wine -- a half glass is more than enough for me.....

But there is this....

Half Wit Wines - Wines by the Half Bottle

they only sell splits.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,687,179 times
You can buy a gadget that vacuum seals wine bottles - removing the oxygen from the bottle before recorking it will greatly extend the life of the wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland