Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superqtip182 View Post
The snobbiness I notice in SF has nothing to do with money... it has to do with how much better everyone is because they're "Democrats" or "liberals." Not saying I don't agree with some of the liberal agenda, but these jerks take it way too far. I was born in LA and raised by fairly conservative parents (borderline moderate), and I came up here and learned about the "liberal" ways... There are both good and bad you can take from both sides. Unfortunately, people in SF seem to want to show the bad part of liberalism... pretentiousness... attempts to APPEAR compassionate rather than actually BEING compassionate. They're always ready to pull some minority card out of their ass so they can prove how much more "open-minded" they are than you. It's so disgusting. You can't battle hate with hate, and that is something that SF residents have repeatedly failed to learn.
Wake up on the wrong side of the Orange Curtain? Whoa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,884 times
I'm a native and born San Franciscan and I'm glad I moved out just south in the San Mateo County. I can't stand these liberal transplants.

I never really knew how warm it is outside Frisco! I think my body is actually healthier since I'm drinking more water to keep cool *lol*

These snobs need to quit sniffing their own farts.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 AM

94 posts, read 213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Wake up on the wrong side of the Orange Curtain? Whoa!
If you're implying something, you better just say it flat out.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
If you're implying something, you better just say it flat out.
Ok, sure, I'll explain the joke: Just sounds like a political culture clash. Orange County is a proud conservative area while San Francisco is famous for its liberal leanings. Was only a joke. Don't go NRA on me.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM

166 posts, read 489,786 times
Have to cast my vote for Orange County. Many of the folks I've met from there act a bit more pretentious, despite not pulling down the kinda bucks of Bay Area people I know.

Even had a funny episode after moving back to Missouri last summer, which was pretty telling of the difference.

My buddy's sister (who lives in the OC) graced our hamlet for a brief visit. They had a barbecue to honor her presence. I ask, "So where do you live now?" She replied, "Laguna Beach. You've probably never heard of it," and looks away as if that is the end of our chat. So I ask her about the cost of living. "Oh, we pay about $1500 a month.... I know it sounds crazy but my husband makes a lot of money." So I say, "Yeah, the cost of living really is a bit steep. But I got great deal on a house in the Bay Area for only 970K!" "You lived out in CA?" "Sure, for a few years. It was a really nice experience."

She didn't say another word to me the rest of the evening, thankfully. Nobody I met in the Bay Area acted like that during my few years there, and most were 'down home' as folks I'd known back here, whether transplants or 'natives' to NorCal. But it's not like I have an affinity for hanging out with snobs no matter what the locale. I'm sure both places have a fair share of both types. We have 'em in Missouri too.

But Californians in general (especially transplants) seem to act a bit uppity when they visit the Midwest, and maybe that's deserved to a degree--if not then the rents and housing costs would be more relative. But the OC vs. SF...no comparison, better living and attitudes go to NorCal.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 AM

94 posts, read 213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe stixpuck View Post
no comparison, better living and attitudes go to NorCal.
Hell no.

They are equally bad; they're just different. I suppose pretentious snobby is better to you than rich snobby.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe stixpuck View Post
Have to cast my vote for Orange County. Many of the folks I've met from there act a bit more pretentious, despite not pulling down the kinda bucks of Bay Area people I know.

Even had a funny episode after moving back to Missouri last summer, which was pretty telling of the difference.

My buddy's sister (who lives in the OC) graced our hamlet for a brief visit. They had a barbecue to honor her presence. I ask, "So where do you live now?" She replied, "Laguna Beach. You've probably never heard of it," and looks away as if that is the end of our chat. So I ask her about the cost of living. "Oh, we pay about $1500 a month.... I know it sounds crazy but my husband makes a lot of money." So I say, "Yeah, the cost of living really is a bit steep. But I got great deal on a house in the Bay Area for only 970K!" "You lived out in CA?" "Sure, for a few years. It was a really nice experience."

She didn't say another word to me the rest of the evening, thankfully. Nobody I met in the Bay Area acted like that during my few years there, and most were 'down home' as folks I'd known back here, whether transplants or 'natives' to NorCal. But it's not like I have an affinity for hanging out with snobs no matter what the locale. I'm sure both places have a fair share of both types. We have 'em in Missouri too.

But Californians in general (especially transplants) seem to act a bit uppity when they visit the Midwest, and maybe that's deserved to a degree--if not then the rents and housing costs would be more relative. But the OC vs. SF...no comparison, better living and attitudes go to NorCal.
Probably depends on who you talk to or know. I have always found the bay area people more stuck on themselves and this was even in the 60s when we moved from So Ca to No Ca. We still have friends in OC that are as natural as the blue sky. I do think those living in some of the beach areas like Laguna may be a little more affected with themselves but no worse than those living in SFO.

Nita

Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Hell no.

They are equally bad; they're just different. I suppose pretentious snobby is better to you than rich snobby.
Haha, pretty much. There are some annoying a*s people/stereotypes in both parts of the state imo.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Haha, pretty much. There are some annoying a*s people/stereotypes in both parts of the state imo.
San Diego has its fair share too

Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
San Diego has its fair share too
Yep, I am very aware of that, I live in the community of Pacific Beach which attracts a ton of them. When I said "both parts of the state" I was referring to all of Southern CA as well, not just LA/OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland