Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Life long San Franciscan here.

I feel being smug takes restraint, and I take it as a virtue. I don’t' brag about SF at all. I usually keep my mouth shut and let the others, usually transplants, go on and on about how great it is.
I am confident in what San Francisco has to offer, and usually offer slight criticism. - That's the typical San Franciscan. Perhaps this rubs people the wrong way.

Snobbery is pretty disgusting though. The NYC/DC regions take the cake on that one.
I think your living in the Bay Area of the early 90's..It was a lot better energy back then..I think what d-iron is saying is very real..SF does have some real funky attitudes with the people sometime. Kinda selfish, no common courtesy even just to help somebody out for a second..I see that first hand all the time in SF. I just got back from the East Coast, and people there were way more friendlier, more upbeat, and over all down to earth..For real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:21 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
I have never once found people to be more upbeat or down to earth back east and I am a transplant from back east. I've always found people back east to be totally more neurotic and obsessed with 'old money' and 'blue blood'. Have you actually ever interacted with New Yorkers? A lot of them think NYC is the center of the universe. I mean I have literally heard people say this.

Most wealthy californians I have dealt with are simply too tacky (new money) or free spirited (ie a live and let live attitude)to be classified as 'snobs'.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM

313 posts, read 676,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I have never once found people to be more upbeat or down to earth back east and I am a transplant from back east. I've always found people back east to be totally more neurotic and obsessed with 'old money' and 'blue blood'. Have you actually ever interacted with New Yorkers? A lot of them think NYC is the center of the universe. I mean I have literally heard people say this.

Most wealthy californians I have dealt with are simply too tacky (new money) or free spirited (ie a live and let live attitude)to be classified as 'snobs'.
Do you consider Chicago more down to earth than SF?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Do you consider Chicago more down to earth than SF?
In some cases. There are defiantly a lot less broke wanna be's trying to play the part. But at the same time there is a larger emphasis on how old your money is, not how much you have. You have to remember Chicago was well established with wealthy industrialists while California for all extensive purposes was still giant cattle ranch. Older money out that way.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
Quote:
In some cases. There are defiantly a lot less broke wanna be's trying to play the part. But at the same time there is a larger emphasis on how old your money is, not how much you have. You have to remember Chicago was well established with wealthy industrialists while California for all extensive purposes was still giant cattle ranch. Older money out that way.
Are the broke wanna be's more or less transplants that arent' really from around here, yes or no?

Natives I find are for the most part extremely well grounded. Just as grounded as Chicagoans.

You are right though, East coasters are very concerned, even neurotic, about how "old" your money is. West coast money is relatively new, so we don't have that snobbery associated with it for the most part.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 AM

94 posts, read 213,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Are the broke wanna be's more or less transplants that arent' really from around here, yes or no?

Natives I find are for the most part extremely well grounded. Just as grounded as Chicagoans.

You are right though, East coasters are very concerned, even neurotic, about how "old" your money is. West coast money is relatively new, so we don't have that snobbery associated with it for the most part.
But see, the people in SF have a smugness about them because they think they're better than everyone else for being more socially aware. I could agree that this snobbery in a way is better because it is about helping people and treating people equally, or at least that's the IDEA behind it. What the smug people in SF need to learn is to not be snobs themselves so that they can help other snobs not be such snobs. You can't end snobbery with snobbery.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
I have been speaking/writing about your everyday folk not your $200,000 or over crowd I think your referring to.

When comparing the average SF personality to the average Chicago personality is like comparing apples to oranges. Look for example at where the Hippie movement started out (summer of love) as opposed to the 1968 Chicago police riots. What about Liberal SF politics (almost passing legislation giving acupuncture to inmates!) to the criminal element forever associated with Chicago politics (latest governors scandal). SF is White collar and Chicago blue, simple as that.

If you like it here that's fine it is a easy(er) place to live, but I stand by my convictions.

Last edited by d-iron; 09-10-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
I have been speaking/writing about your everyday folk not your $200,000 or over crowd I think your referring to.

When comparing the average SF personality to the average Chicago personality is like comparing apples to oranges. Look for example at where the Hippie movement started out (summer of love) as opposed to the 1968 Chicago police riots. What about Liberal SF politics (almost passing legislation giving acupuncture to inmates!) to the criminal element forever associated with Chicago politics (latest governors scandal). SF is White collar and Chicago blue, simple as that.

If you like it here that's fine it is a easy(er) place to live, but I stand by my convictions.
if you think SF has been immune to corruption than you're definitely wrong. SF had riots too, such as the 1966 Hunters Point riot, in which there were shootouts with police and the national guard.

Why do people love to try and make things black and white? "SF is white collar." "Chicago is blue collar." Is there no such thing as a shade of grey?

And as for the summer of love, you do realize that most of those hippies were...transplants. Also trying to use hippies as proof of SF being "white collar" makes no sense... because the city was very blue collar in those days.

Finally there is no such thing as a "insert city here" personality. Personalities are a very individual thing, that may be influenced somewhat by the prevalent views where you live...but it's not going to be completely shaped by them. I have a feeling i'd be basically the same as I am now, if i were from Chicago, with the exception that I'd know a whole lot about Chicago, instead of SF.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
if you think SF has been immune to corruption than you're definitely wrong. SF had riots too, such as the 1966 Hunters Point riot, in which there were shootouts with police and the national guard.

Why do people love to try and make things black and white? "SF is white collar." "Chicago is blue collar." Is there no such thing as a shade of grey?

And as for the summer of love, you do realize that most of those hippies were...transplants. Also trying to use hippies as proof of SF being "white collar" makes no sense... because the city was very blue collar in those days.

Finally there is no such thing as a "insert city here" personality. Personalities are a very individual thing, that may be influenced somewhat by the prevalent views where you live...but it's not going to be completely shaped by them. I have a feeling i'd be basically the same as I am now, if i were from Chicago, with the exception that I'd know a whole lot about Chicago, instead of SF.
You don't think cities have distinct characteristics?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM

94 posts, read 213,643 times
Quote:
You don't think cities have distinct characteristics?
I think all he's trying to say is that not everyone in every major city fits into some extreme stereotype and that most people are pretty moderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland