Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,095 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I will be relocating from San Diego to SF north bay area.
I am a surgeon and will be working in Santa Rosa (east side). My wife and I are in our late 30's, we don't have any kids, so schools are not important.

We would like to live in a nice, "affluent" area, with a real garden (at least 1/3 to 1/2 acre...or more), mature trees and vegetation...no track housing socal style.

Our budget to rent: max $4000
Our budget to buy: max $1.3 million
Commute:somewhere in the middle, probably closer to SF because we will go against traffic (going north)

We like outdoor stuff like MTBiking, road cycling, hiking and indoor stuff like, dining out in SF etc..

Thanks

Fabe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 PM

86 posts, read 245,515 times
You could consider Penngrove or parts of Petaluma or Sebastapol if you want nice areas with some land around a house south of Santa Rosa. If you look in Santa Rosa, the hills around Fountaingrove and Mark West Springs areas have larger lots. At least you have a realistic budget for the area. Many people from the east, midwest, and south expect large properties for much less than they go for here.

In Marin County, a bit of a drive to Santa Rosa, 30-40 minutes but you would have a reverse commute, Novato has some nice non-tract areas with larger lots in the Atherton Ave. area east of 101. All of Marin and Sonoma counties are close to wonderful open space areas for hiking, going to the beach, or enjoying the wine country. Lots of country roads in the undeveloped parts off the 101 corridor for biking.

San Francisco is reachable by Golden Gate Transit or driving in from time to time for dinner and cultural events is doable. Get a FasTrak pass for the bridge toll and you will be all set.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,054,163 times
Glen Ellen. You'll get a lot more than 1/2 acre, and it meets all your other requirements. It's part of the wine country, but still close to Santa Rosa.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
I agree with the suggestions, but they are not between Santa Rosa and the GG bridge.

I will add one thing, to the OP, if you are going to buy, schools are important, someday you will want to sell and schools can be the decider for many people. If you are renting that is different.

Nita

Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 PM

106 posts, read 579,773 times
Trouble is, if you are literally "between" SF and Santa Rosa, then you are located on HWY 101, always subject to traffic congestion (even both ways, in Sonoma County, it's not just "south to the city" anymore.) They just finished adding a lane, but it won't help much.

I think anything south of Petaluma will be too far a commute, and even then it won't be quick, having to schlepp from 101 (west side of Santa Rosa) to your work on the east side. And the HWY 101 corridor is doomed to get more crowded, and it's drudgey; a spirit-sapping freeway drive--you did not move to "rural" Northern California just to drive on "southern California-lite freeways", did you!

My suggestion--lean in favor of staying closer to work than closer to the city. You have a good budget, so if you buy a bit of land in a beautiful area, you'll find you won't want to go to the city that often anyway.

In which case, Glen Ellen is an excellent suggestion--close to Sonoma town, but Glen Ellen has homes with large lots/acreage/tucked into hillsides. And the town is not at all "tract like" or McMansion in feeling. Sebastopol area is a good choice too, but scout the commute, you are traveling west-east across a populated area. Any places north of Santa Rosa can be nice, but then you are really getting far away from SF.

Enjoy the search!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,050,353 times
I know this thread is old, but just want to mention for future interested people-Sonoma and Marin county seriously have perhaps BETTER food ch oices than SFO. I lived in the city for a few years and while it is great and fun, I would hands down rather live in sonoma county and drive to the city.
But between Sonoma City, Healdsburg, Sebastopol and even Santa Rosa now, along with Geyserville, Calistoga, St. Helena, etc. in Napa, as well as Napa city itself, I could eat for months and not grow bored or tired. And the setting and vibe are often far more charming and pleasant than SFO. For things like thai, any asian, really, of course you want to go to the city from time to time (generally speaking)...but beyond that Marin also has soo many fantastic options-mill valley has a reknowned burger joint, homemade gelato, best icecream i've eaten is in sebastopol, etc.

So, fear not, people who enjoy good food need not panic if they live north of the golden gate bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland