Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:34 AM

14 posts, read 84,032 times

Advertisements

Over the last 5-10 years I now have lost a lot of couples friends and even single friends .

The couples left due to housing cost.

Single friends left due to cost of living, going to outside LA where there is cheaper parts.

I don't know many that live alone hardy anyone, most have a roommate or 2 most have just one most of the time unless its a 4 bedroom flat.

I worry living here if I can stay, I got my apt 13 years ago for $685 and 75x1 car parking its 838 sq ft 2 broom 1 normal size one small now they asking for new persons 2200!!!!!!

I pay $905 plus 75x3 for 3 car parking slots getting rid of 2 and keeping 1.If I am pushed out due to cost or rent cost I rather get me a sweet RV and deck it out and not leave.

I read what SF will look in 2020

South of market will be as big as the rest of the skyline on the other side of market thats a sure bet and most are going all blue glass.

A new bay bridge is just about done in USA its either #1 or 2 most used bridge in USA .

Other plans are called for a new transbay2012(they want to have a new grand central station like NYC) to do it its like 6-10 towers of 300ft to 1200FT

Other things that maybe will pass is the other new cruise ships dock in south of market and maybe a treasure island city to finsh off the mini nyc look hoping for 1.2 1.4 million by 2030

Last edited by I love SF; 01-14-2008 at 02:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:35 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by na72 View Post
Thank You Tallysmom. I'll check out the North Carolina board more. I bet Pennsylvania is beautiful!!
It's gorgeous -- but jobs can be scarce. Lower housing costs, but frankly -- I think groceries are about the same price. Heating will be more since you have to heat your home. A/C would be nice to have, but you could get away with not having it, you would need some sort of big ventilation. Homes usually have basements, depending on the age of the home -- finished basements.

Housing stock is heavily Colonial style. Modern is harder to find.

PA is four seasons and fall is superb. A crisp fall day's walk ending up with Brunswick stew, homemade biscuits and apple pie with a wedge of cheese.... heaven! (Oh -- I'm also from "Pennsylvania Dutch" ancestry -- which is German... hence the cheese. I also like scrapple. Don't ask! )

Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 AM

14 posts, read 84,032 times
I been in Pennsylvania many times and its wonderful and has alot of green and wood .I would live out of a main cities areas, alot of wonderfull small towns right out of main city.

Parts of North Carolina rate well and having gone there Its going to have a higher cost of living than say in Pennsylvania.

Of the two I pick N.C

Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
The phony environmental laws in California that keep the housing supply down. It's an artificially inflated market, that's what people don't understand. A whole mess of people would lose a whole lot of money if those laws were amended and made sense and were fair.

Completely correct. This seemingly overlooked aspect of Bay Area and California politics is the single biggest reason why homes cost as much as they do here. In other words, when you give too much control to localized groups- homeowners- they're ALL going to naturally want their home to be the LAST one built on the block. That's why most of the people in my neighborhood are older, established residents who "got in" before they passed these various laws. For them, the advantages have been enormous. They not only got their houses for a small fraction of what they cost now- even with inflation thrown in- , but they also got to enjoy the rising salaries all the way up through to present. Thefore they got it all: cheaper housing, low taxes, and higher wages that allow them to live far more lavish living standards than a younger family that actually makes more, yet can't even afford the smallest, most dilapidated house.

People say things like the Bay Area is so desirable, so progressive, and so on and hence that's why things are so expensive. I call B.S. This is one of the biggest reasons I'm not buying. I refuse to pay for someone's retirement in the form of helping them "cash out" only to have them move to AZ.

The system here has been corrupt and unfair for decades and it will take people realizing this if they want to make a change and bring things back to a level playing field. I'll probably be gone by then because it won't be too much longer that me and my wife will have saved up enough from our Bay Area salaries to simply move somewhere and buy outright and be done with it alltogether. I'm sure people will still be here bickering away, fighting over the little table scrap homes still demanding 700k prices.
so then, where are people from California or more specifically Alameda, California moving to?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:49 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnasnake View Post
so then, where are people from California or more specifically Alameda, California moving to?
Oregon and WA rank extremely high as relocation areas... I also know several that have moved to AZ...

Nevada, specifically, LasVegas was a destination for many until recently.

In the past, it was quite common for Bay Area residents to retire to the Sierra Foothills...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 AM

50 posts, read 146,200 times
Even if somebody paid me I wouldn't move back to the Bay Area. I was the third generation of my family to be born in SF and all of my relatives except for a cousin have moved out because nobody can afford to live there. I'm moving to TN in a month because the whole West Coast, in general, is getting to expesive to live in.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 AM

373 posts, read 1,169,396 times
my how things have changed.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 AM

634 posts, read 1,556,160 times
Default What an incredible story

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrover06 View Post
My wife and I have been thinking about leaving since we moved here in '89. She is a software engineer. I am a software engineer studying to be an attorney. She's from Pennsylvania and I'm from Chicago. We met in PA, worked in MD, VA, DC, north and south NJ, and NY before deciding to see what life was like in the bay area. This was mainly because I loved the ambiance that was SF. Still do. My wife would prefer to live near NY (Montclair, NJ), since she's an easterner at heart. I'm a midwesterner at heart. We bought a house and it has increased substantially in value. Since last year alone it has gone up about 15%..excellent location in a great school district, we lucked out there. Made a lot of money during the dot com boom from investments. We have kids now....so what?

I once thought that working as a software engineer in Rockville, MD was the worst place for a black man to be. High stress due to tight schedule demands, horrible traffic, long lines, bad attitudes, cold weather, open power struggles at work. I imagined that life would be less stressful in sunny CA and that being in silicon valley, I would be able to work on challenging emerging technologies. I have to admit, I was seduced by the beauty of the area. Before moving here however, I interviewed with a company in Mountain View. I saw few asians engineers, no indians, no blacks, no hispanics. Just a bunch of white guys who looked like they spent a lot of time prospecting for gold. One resembled the unibomber. Unfortunately, all were skeptical white engineers, a true good ol boy network working here. Richard Farley was a typical type of guy that I'm talking about. You can read about him here. 2-3 months after my interview, this lunatic went beserk just a few miles from where I interviewed.

Richard Farley: Information from Answers.com

They were in disbelief talking to me, forcing themselves to get past my race so they could ask me intelligent questions. They didn't succeed as I was repeatedly asked mundane questions. Very easy interview for me in terms of technical content. Their concern was whether I would fit in. I read this and didn't pay attention. My lunch was with the hiring manager (a white man from South Carolina) who spent the entire hour trying to find reasons not to hire me. When he came to the lobby where I was sitting alone, he called out my name looking everywhere but where I was sitting. Certainly, I couldn't be the person with those qualifications. He was deflated when I stood up. His final question of the day was "what kind of car do you drive?" I didn't get the job even though I was obviously well-qualified. I should've taken the clue. Absent during my interview were any black engineers. I didn't see any, anywhere. Only white unsophisticated people who were unaccustomed to being around black people and completely uncomfortable with the prospect of working with one as an equal. Silicon valley, huh? Sorry if this sounds like I'm angry, because I'm not. Probably a bit surprised with myself that I didn't trust my instincts back then. So mesmerized was I by the nice weather and the ambiance...what a fool.

Despite being rejected, I vowed to return. I interviewed and was immediately offered a position with this company's MD office, worked over a year, then transferred to the Mountain View office where I worked with these guys who had turned me down before. It wasn't all bad, but the biggest difference between the attitudes towards me here and the MD office was that the people here were skeptical of my abilities. There, they assumed that I was good. Here, they assumed that I wasn't and even if I did well, they still didn't believe it. In essence, behind all the smiling, joking, and pleasant expressions, behind the enormous frivolity and narcissism, were people who were grossly unfair in their evaluation of my worth as a professional and as a man. I was highly disappointed and remain so today.

Sorry to make this rant so long. Feels good to get it out there though. More later....

I had no idea the CA high tech/ progressive types were this bad. I know this is an old post but I am awe struck by this story and this mans honesty. LandRover if you are out there I want to say thank you for telling this very disturbing work place story, especilly since it comes from what I thought was a liberal open minded city and state. What a shock!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 AM

373 posts, read 1,169,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I had no idea the CA high tech/ progressive types were this bad. I know this is an old post but I am awe struck by this story and this mans honesty. LandRover if you are out there I want to say thank you for telling this very disturbing work place story, especilly since it comes from what I thought was a liberal open minded city and state. What a shock!
Welcome to the new Bay Area?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

35 posts, read 196,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
Welcome to the new Bay Area?

Hardly - late '80's (judging from the descriptions of the guys he worked with, including Richard Farley).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland