U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 PM

20 posts, read 66,519 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, and then graduated college and moved to the Washington, DC metro area for a job. I have lived here now for a year this month. My boyfriend just got a job offer in Oakland, CA. He is still debating on whether or not to take the job. If he does, it looks like I will be coming to the West Coast!

Although excited, I am also scared, considering I have never been to California before. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look to rent an apartment at? We definitely don't want to live in San Fran because of the cost of rent. We were looking for a reasonable priced ($2,000 or less), nice 2 bedroom apartment/condo/townhouse. A safe neighborhood would definitely be a plus, and also preferably something that would be a decent commute for him to get to work in Oakland. Does anyone have any suggestions for this confused East Coast girl!?

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

Teena
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 PM

So many people have viewed my post but no one is giving any advice? Can anyone help me out, please?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 PM

15,362 posts, read 24,695,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk219 View Post
So many people have viewed my post but no one is giving any advice? Can anyone help me out, please?

Thanks!
Check craigslist and search Oakland. Lots of people will naysay, but parts of Oakland are very nice. Look for Grand Lake, Lake Merritt, Adams Point.

If Oakland is too scary -- and it is for a lot of people -- look to rent in Piedmont, or Berkeley. But In my opinion, Berkeley is is a nightmare to drive in.

San Leandro is okay, but in my opinion, it's going downhill. Hayward is boring. Once again -- my opinion.

A lot of our areas are not so much good neighborhood/bad neighborhood -- it's almost more block to block.

Oh -- and if you choose Oakland, there is a crime map available.

http://gismaps.oaklandnet.com/crimewatch/

Old 05-05-2007, 05:09 PM

3,708 posts, read 14,228,522 times
I agree with the above post. There are some nice areas in Oakland, especially in the eastern hill section of the city. Avoid west Oakland near the bay and freeways. Also check out Hayward, San Leandro, Castro Valley and Alameda. Don't bother looking in Richmond for an apt. - too much crime. You don't want to live too far from where you're going to work - the traffic here is bad and getting worse (and gas is near $3.50/gal here ).

Old 05-05-2007, 06:42 PM

14,004 posts, read 26,016,070 times
Default You'll be Fine Out Here

There is a beautiful and very safe area about 15 miles east of Oakland called Walnut Creek. You will feel very at home there, lots of alternatives for living at or below $2,000 per month. Go to Craigslist, San Francisco, East Bay and look up apts in Walnut Creek, up to $2,000 with 2 BDRMs. You will see you have plenty of choices.

It is also a beautiful area with a large mountain (Mount Diablo) as a backdrop. The shopping is first class, with a large outdoor mall with beautiful fountains and landscaping right in the heart of downtown Walnut Creek (Broadway Plaza) and a very nice large mall a few miles north in Concord (Sun Valley Mall). The local shopping is first rate.

If you are interested, here is the city link:

http://www.ci.walnut-creek.ca.us/

Old 05-05-2007, 06:44 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,311,805 times
If you don't mind a longer commute you can look in Concord, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill. A friend of mine lives in Concord and commutes past Oakland into Alameda everyday. I think he said it takes him about 30-45 minutes. It's pretty nice over there. Also, you may soon be able to buy a house over there as prices are falling some.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was actually looking into Walnut Creek, but I was talking to a recruiter out in San Fran, and he said with me being a Business Analyst, living in Walnut Creek is kind of limiting where I would be able to commute to work at. Because he said a lot of companies are in San Mateo? I live in the D.C. metro area now (Fairfax, VA). My apartment is 13 miles from my work, and it takes me about 40-45 mins to get to work in the morning, so as much as I do not like traffic, I am kind of used to commuting that long now!!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 PM

14,004 posts, read 26,016,070 times
Adding in a factor for San Mateo changes all of the recommendations. Oakland is on the east side of the SF Bay, while San Mateo is in the Peninsula area, south of San Francisco but on the west side of the bay. To put it in DC terms, it would be as if your husband had a job in Silver Spring, MD, and you were going to work out at Centerville VA. Adding in the bridges between the two places, and you can see the difficulties.

Suggest you rent a place on a month to month basis until you figure out where your employment will be.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM

29,998 posts, read 49,945,671 times
Yes, NewtoCA is correct - you do NOT want to commute from the East Bay to San Mateo! Only location that might work is Hayward, but as somebody else mentioned, it's pretty boring (and not very safe) there. If you do end up working in San Mateo, you can find plenty of nice & reasonably-priced apartments there... just avoid the far eastern part of town, especially around the area known as "Shoreview". You can also look in the nearby towns of Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City and Burlingame, which would all be pretty easy commutes.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,583,339 times
I commute every day from the east bay to past San Mateo. It takes me around 45 minutes or less. The trick is to either leave early or car pool. No biggie. I have friend who live in the city, work in the city, and it actually takes them longer to get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland