Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM

254 posts, read 587,341 times

Advertisements

In another thread, I received a lot of recommendations and would love to hear more about it.

What I am looking for is a dense area walking distance to bars and restaurants. I am 27 single and can tolerate rowdiness as long as it is not to the point of bullets in my window.

Anyone with familiarity with the area, I would love to hear more details especially stuff I should know like approximate rentals for a studio or 1 BR there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Adams Point, Grand Lake, Lakeshore, Merritt are all neighborhoods around Lake Merritt that totally suit you. Big City street smarts apply but its a pretty nice area so you should do fine. Also, away from the lake but not too far is an area called Piedmont Avenue, I think you'd like that too.

Also, you come at a really good time when Downtown entertainment is in the midst of a renaissance of sorts.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
The part of Lake Merritt I'm not so familiar with is around Laney College/International/Foothill, etc on the south end, but in driving through, it looks a bit shady, but my experience is nill aside from driving around there.

My friend lives above Lake Merritt on Orange Street just below 580. This is a wonderful neighborhood - a lot of trees and quiet neighbors - just a few blocks to Whole Foods, but if you're situated closer to Grand, you'll be in better position to walk to dining, and shops.

That whole area is very cool. Close to downtown, close to Piedmont and close to Lake Merritt.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM

32 posts, read 113,110 times
Not many bars though. There are a couple of seedy ones on Lakeshore Ave. Rockridge has a better nightlife and better restaurants

Old 09-19-2009, 09:38 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
The Grand Lake bar scene is actually improving these days (at last!)---Sidebar and Grand Tavern opened earlier this year and both have nice bars; Pizzaiolo is scheduled to open a second location there at some point soon that will also have a bar. Also, if you live on the north end of the lake (the neighborhoods 18Montclair suggested) you're not too far from the Lake Chalet and some great bars on Piedmont Avenue (Cato's, Adesso, Cesar, etc.). Rockridge still has more bars and restaurants overall, but you'll also pay a lot more rent to live there.

Plus, as dive bars go, you really can't beat the Alley on Grand, Oakland's only remaining piano bar!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM

323 posts, read 697,456 times
If you like bars I would avoid the Easy Lounge on Lakeshore. I know someone who recently had a drug placed in his drink by some sleazeball.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis78 View Post
The Grand Lake bar scene is actually improving these days (at last!)---Sidebar and Grand Tavern opened earlier this year and both have nice bars; Pizzaiolo is scheduled to open a second location there at some point soon that will also have a bar. Also, if you live on the north end of the lake (the neighborhoods 18Montclair suggested) you're not too far from the Lake Chalet and some great bars on Piedmont Avenue (Cato's, Adesso, Cesar, etc.). Rockridge still has more bars and restaurants overall, but you'll also pay a lot more rent to live there.

Plus, as dive bars go, you really can't beat the Alley on Grand, Oakland's only remaining piano bar!
What he said . . .

Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Peidmont Ave and Montclair are very pedestrian friendly areas as is Lake Shore and Laurel and Dimond to some degree...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,138 times
I'm 27, and I live in the Cleveland Heights area of Lake Merritt, at the eastern edge of the lake, and it's a very nice, quiet place that's convenient walking distance to Grand Lake shops/bars, and only about a mile from Lake Chalet with its Taco Tuesdays and champagne brunch! I love this end of the lake, but the western part is also nice, and very walkable to downtown/BART. Adam's Point is very nice, especially as you get closer to the lake - the more northern parts butt up against Harrison and are full of cookie-cutter condo buildings. I'm not a huge fan of the southern area of the lake (by Laney) - just don't like the character as much. My place is very affordable (1 bedroom for less than $1100).

Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
When I go to the Bay Area I stay with my mother who lives near lake Merritt. Anywhere around the lake is nice really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland