Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,296 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving from Austin to San Francisco. I will be working in the financial district downtown and she will be going to grad school at Berkeley. I was wondering if there is a location we could live where we would have somewhat equal commute times.

We would love to stick to public transportation but we both have cars if needed. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM

13 posts, read 109,507 times
It's nice of you to want equal commute times, but you won't find it. Berkeley hooks up with San Francisco across the bay bridge on 80 so really once you cross, you are in San Francisco. Berkeley is a really nice area and if you can find 2 people to carpool with across the bridge, it's free. Parking is super expensive in all of downtown, but esspecially the financial district. I lived in San Francisco and worked in the BofA building downtown and that was 10 years ago - parking was like 25 dollars a day or you buy a pass - still expensive, but maybe you can afford it. I lived in the Marina district which I loved - very cute, safe, near the Golden gate bridge, but you can also take Bay street to the freeway (past the piers and ballpark). There is a downtown bus (a few actually) in the am and pm that go direct - no stopping straight to the finanical district). I had roommates there and back then our rent was 3K a month for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath without a dishwasher and 1 parking space (which was huge). They give you a ticket if you park too long or on days for street washing on the street and parking is hard (drive around and around to find an open space and this is residential area). Any other areas besides San Francisco (Pacific Heights and Marina are good, but I heard the Mission has gotten much better too which is close to the 80 freeway entrance, just be careful) or Berkeley aren't going to be great. Forget Oakland which I think has the highest crime rate/murders in all of the bay area. Richmond isn't so hot either. My dad lived in Pinole forever, but it's not that great and a far commute for you. Off hwy 24 you can have your pick of cities - all nice - close for your girlfriend, but you'll sit in traffic the whole way there and back. Even further east past 24 and onto 680 Walnut Creek, San Ramon and Pleasanton are GREAT - but again, commuting by car would take a long time - you can take BART (bay area rapid transit) for most of these areas and I know you want to drive, but it just is really hard - horrible traffic. You can take BART into the city from all of those east bay areas (goes under the bay into the city) right into the financial district and it's great. In fact, when they go on strike, everything is a mess.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smabarak View Post
Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving from Austin to San Francisco. I will be working in the financial district downtown and she will be going to grad school at Berkeley. I was wondering if there is a location we could live where we would have somewhat equal commute times.

We would love to stick to public transportation but we both have cars if needed. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
What types of neighborhoods are you looking to live in? Walkable/urban or suburban/car-oriented? If you're looking for the former, I would highly suggest Rockridge in Oakland. It's located right on a BART station which would give you easy public transportation access to both Berkeley and San Francisco's financial district. Rockridge is a very walkable area with tons of restaurants, bars, and shopping located along College Avenue. Temescal, Uptown, and some of the areas around Lake Merritt would be other good choices, but Rockridge is the most convenient neighborhood in Oakland for both amenities and public transit IMO.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
In a place like Rockridge (not to mention, a number of other places in Oakland, as well as in Albany, El Cerrito, etc) you'd be surrounded by many other commuters to SF, as well as, Cal students.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM

655 posts, read 1,982,942 times
I was going to say---Rockridge is just about equal commute times (a little quicker to Cal, but also only a few stops to downtown SF) and is a great neighborhood. It's expensive, though, so if you need something a bit cheaper, you might try Temescal or other areas in central Oakland. Remember to check the AC Transit (bus) website for Transbay commuter buses---this is the fastest (and arguably most pleasant!) way to get to the Financial District from many parts of Oakland and Berkeley, and the buses on most of the routes are pretty nice (cushy seats, tour-bus style, some with WiFi now).

Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
What types of neighborhoods are you looking to live in? Walkable/urban or suburban/car-oriented? If you're looking for the former, I would highly suggest Rockridge in Oakland. It's located right on a BART station which would give you easy public transportation access to both Berkeley and San Francisco's financial district. Rockridge is a very walkable area with tons of restaurants, bars, and shopping located along College Avenue. Temescal, Uptown, and some of the areas around Lake Merritt would be other good choices, but Rockridge is the most convenient neighborhood in Oakland for both amenities and public transit IMO.

Excellent suggestion!

Rockridge is right up their alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland