Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 41,861 times

Advertisements

Even the SF suburbs are very expensive...the people who want affordable housing are moving to what is called the "X-urbs". They include the Central Valley and similar locations...Turlock, Brentwood, Tracy, Sacramento, Vacaville. Expect a 1 to 2-hour commute from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 61,515 times
Well if you ride the passenger trains watch out for them being late. There's lots of congestion and freight traffic on the train line so I recommend BART if possible. The only concern is the oil refineries which occasionally has an issue or two.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 PM

19 posts, read 109,120 times
You should look into Oakland (by the Lake or in the Piedmont Avenue area or in Rockridge) or into Berkeley (downtown, Elmwood or North Berkeley).

Oakland and Berkeley are cities and not suburbs so you will be able to get an urban feel without living in SF.

A lot of young people decide to live in the East Bay because the rents are lower than SF, the public transit is good (you can go out in the East Bay or take a 5 to 15 minute BART or Transbay bus ride to SF) and there is plenty of stuff to do in the immediate area (lots of restaurants and cafes, several of bars and clubs and really good farmers’ markets).

I am looking into living in these areas myself and have been pleased with what I have seen. I should let you know that I am 25, single and just moved from Chicago and am excited about my return to the Bay.

I am partial to Rockridge because there is a BART stop, a Safeway and the #51 bus (which goes to Piedmont Ave, North Berkeley and Downtown Berkeley). But it is more expensive than other parts of Oakland and has more young families (a bit of a negative for me).

My sister and her friends (they are single and in their twenties too) currently work, play and live in these areas and LOVE IT.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,321,710 times
Definitely look into Oakland. You'll get the same style of living as much of SF but without the same cost. People think all of Oakland is crime-ridden, for whatever reason.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 AM

718 posts, read 2,684,986 times
oakland isnt that bad if you are in the hills

Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,283,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
oakland isnt that bad if you are in the hills
Are you scared of your own shadow?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,456 times
How is the commute from Hercules to San Pablo/ Oakland/ Berkeley?
Is it with or against the traffic?
Please mention peak and off peak hrs and night travel after 9pm.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland