Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 PM

55 posts, read 171,165 times

Advertisements

hEY WHATS UP GUYS,
sIMPLY I'M A AN AFRICAN AMERICAN STUDENT AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, LATELY I'VE BEEN FEELING ANGRY AND ALMOST SAD, MIXED WITH DEPRESS,LOL ABOUT BEING A MINORITY AND LIBERAL PERSON IN COLUMBUS, OHIO, SO I'VE PRETTY MUCH MADE A DESICION AND I THINK I WANT TO MOVE TO SF AFTER I GRADUATE, I UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S EXPENSIVE, BUT I FEEL I HAVE ONE LIFE TO LIVE AND I DON'T WANT TO BE IN OHIO/MIDWEST SOMETHING JUST TELLS ME THIS IS THE RIGHT DESCISION, SO I WAS WONDERING DO ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE OR EXPERINCE WITH THE SAME DILLEMMA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 12:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
To be honest, I'm not sure if moving to the Bay Area is going to change things that much. I live here and grew up in the South. It is almost as segregated here as it was there. There are Black neighborhoods ( West Oakland) and White Oakland ( Piedmont, Oakland Hills). There is a general feeling that things are more open minded here, but I still see some of the same things happening from a socioeconomics standpoint, meaning that minorities seem to still be at a economic disadvantage. That isn't to say that minorities don't succeed here, but I think that can be said for just about anywhere.

I'd consider Atlanta or some other city where the racial composition is more equal. I think Atlanta is 50/50 at this point. That and it doesn't cost as much. Last time I looked Atlanta was the youngest city in the US, so it might be a better opportunity for a young person like yourself.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Default YO silver box

I've Donae A Alot Research ' I'm Greatfull Fo Rthe Advice, But I Went To Atlanta, And It Anice City, But It Highly Segergated There, Even Though It More Of My People I Like To See Diversity, And Also Research Says Areas With Less Black People Are More Diverse, I Know, I Was Suprise Too, But I Saw The Research And It Was True...

Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
Telll you another city that might be interesting is Memphis, TN. My Aunt lives there. She's white but the neighborhood is very mixed. White, Black, Filipino, Asian, and so on. Seems like they all get along pretty well.They look out for each other. It is kind of an artistic community though. There are crime problems elsewhere. I guess what I'm getting at is that many cities have pockets where like-minded people live because they appreciate the idea of living with many cultural groups. It is more interesting that way. I've lived in a lot of cities and every single one of them had parts of town where it was more liberal or open minded. You just have to look for them.

I would say that SF just happens to have more communities like this.But the thing is that neighborhoods like this are almost always a lot more expensive. That isn't entirely the case in other cities. You're right that this is one reason some people come here. But there's bad parts of town too where if you're white/black/whatever, you don't go. But that's true in most places. The single biggest thing with the Bay Area is the cost of living. That to me is almost as depressing. You might want to consider that.

It doesn't hurt to try though. Maybe come out and rent for a few months and see how you like it. You're young so you have the flexibility.
Anyhow, best of luck to you.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:44 PM

Thanx bro, I think i mite do that....

Old 07-13-2007, 11:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Get ready for "open-minded intellectuals" to crack on you for being from Ohio.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Get ready for "open-minded intellectuals" to crack on you for being from Ohio.

i was expecting lots of those but i'm so different from ohio people i was born in west coast of africa so i understand the way sun culture mindset ppl think, they wouldnt notice , am ready though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland