Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I will be in SF for a few days in November and I'm planning on renting a car for a day. I'm not 100% sure about the route yet but maybe the locals here could give me a few ideas I will be picking up the car around 9:00am in the morning and return it at 9:00 am the next day.

Here's what I have planned so far. (google maps, ignore the part1, part2 split for some reason it wouldn't let me do the thing in one line). Some people told me I should rather go south (santa cruz / monterey) than north because the coastal roads look even nicer.

Roughly 300 miles total which should easily be doable I guess. I will be Starting at SFO, going north over the Golden Gate Bridge and make a stop, then via the Panoramic Hwy to US1 shoreline/coast HWY all the way up north to Elk/US128 with a few stops here and there to take a couple of pics, grab a bite to eat or just to enjoy the view. Then back home via the 101.

What do you guys think? Anything I should not miss along the way, or maybe take a different way home? I'm not in a hurry to get back since I only have to return the car the next day. But I figured by the time it gets dark I have the most scenic part (coastal drive) behind me.

Looking forward to your ideas/comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Can't really go wrong heading either North or South... a lot of visitors also head for Carmel or even Big Sur...

Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM

205 posts, read 589,048 times
You might wanna take The Embarcadero route from San Fran headed north to 101. You will pass Pier 39, Fisherman's wharf, North beach and on to the Marina district. The homes are breathtaking and you will also get a glimpse of The Palace of Fine Arts.

Also, you might want to check out Lombard Street..the crookedest street in the world.

Lombard Street is the most famous "Crookedest Street in the World." It's a sight to behold, especially in the summer when the flowers are in full bloom. Not only is the road crooked, it's also very steep — a 40-degree slope, to be exact. The unique zigzag street is lined with houses and beautifully manicured gardens.

Lombard Street, San Francisco's famous Lombard Street, Crookedest Street in the World, Lombard Street SF Tourist Attraction, Drive down the world's crookedest street in San Francisco, Lombard Street photos, Lombard Street pictures, San Francisco, Cal

Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
300 miles in 24 hours? Doesn't leave much time to enjoy the area.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
Some people told me I should rather go south (santa cruz / monterey) than north because the coastal roads look even nicer.
Personally I prefer the southern route. Get out of the airport and take 101 south to 92 west in San Mateo to Half Moon Bay on the coast, and then take 1 south through Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst's Castle to San Luis Obispo, then get back on 101 north to SF. But the road north is good too.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 PM

55 posts, read 248,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Personally I prefer the southern route. Get out of the airport and take 101 south to 92 west in San Mateo to Half Moon Bay on the coast, and then take 1 south through Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst's Castle to San Luis Obispo, then get back on 101 north to SF. But the road north is good too.
That sounds very nice, but completely un-doable in 1 day. Sf -> Monterey and back would be roughly 300 mi. Going down to Hearst's Castle is way farther, and the ride is slow and windy. US1 doesn't really get scenic until you get to MOnterey and south, so driving south is sub-optimal if you only have the car for 24 hours.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
That sounds very nice, but completely un-doable in 1 day. Sf -> Monterey and back would be roughly 300 mi. Going down to Hearst's Castle is way farther, and the ride is slow and windy. US1 doesn't really get scenic until you get to MOnterey and south, so driving south is sub-optimal if you only have the car for 24 hours.
I had only a day to meet some friends living in San Diego... we decided to meet half way at Hearst Castle...

It was a great trip and nice to see friends and take the tour... it can be done if you don't mind getting an early start and enjoy diving

By the way... the weather from SF to Hearst Castle was absolutely perfect that day!

I suggested to many visitors on a tight schedule to head north to Muir woods and then over to wine country for the afternoon...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It was a great trip and nice to see friends and take the tour... it can be done if you don't mind getting an early start and enjoy diving
Exactly. Also, spending the night in SLO at the Madonna Inn is always an option . . .

Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
your route looks pretty good. i do lot of day trips. The only bad part is the 101 north from marin to 128, it's pretty boring. There are lots of good country roads and towns to cut though on the west side of 101 unless you are pressed for time. If not you might try cutting over to Napa and heading north on rte 29 thru the wine country which will turn into 128. 128 is a beautiful drive and when you get to the coast head north on hwy 1 for few miles and see Mendocino before turning around and heading south on Hwy 1 along the coast.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times
Alright I have updated my route a little bit

Instead of going all the way up north to Elk and then head east to 101 & Santa Rosa I will head east at Stewart's Point, then take 128 thru Calistoga & Napa and finally thru Novato back to San Fran.

Sounds better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland