Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM

55 posts, read 233,716 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I and our 2 babies live in Largo, FL. I am a So. Cal. girl but my husband is from Pinellas County. We have been here a year and I really miss my family and all the beauty of Cali, but we are not moving back anytime soon, unless I could convince him
I am not from the North Cali area but I used to love visiting. However I am pretty ignorant as far as living there and also any area besides the touristy areas, Santa Cruz, S.F., etc. Also my husband isn't really into So.Cal. but he does really like No. Cal.
So I turn to all your wisdong in hopes of getting some insight and info on how realistic it would be to move to Northern Cal.
Hoping to get ideas on areas that would be good for our family to live?
Places that are close to a big city but are not a big city.
Here is some information on our family.
My husband does computer work of all kind, web design, repairs, marketing, laptop repair, and just about everything you can do with a computer. He also does handyman work. He doesn't even have to look for work, it just comes to him,word of mouth. On top of all this he is planning on testing and get his EMT. license so that he can get into Firefighting. He was a firefighter in the Air Force when he was 19. Anyways I say all this to point out that thankfully even in these tough times we seem to be doing ok becuase my husband can and is willing to do everything. This is the short version.
The last bit of info on us that is of importance is that our 21 month old son has Down syndrome. He is an amazing little boy, he has taught us sooooo much and lights up our lives. So wherever we live there has to be good services for special needs.
So in saying ALL that, if anyone actually read this entire post, what are your opinions on living in any part of Northern or even Central California for that matter.
Oh also if there is any chance to a big piece of land to grow our own fruit and veggies, etc. and just raise our kids while also growing in our faith with God. We want to eventually serve God and help people however we can. I know I didn't need to add all that, but there it is.
OK anyone still reading? I know I sound like a dreamer. I actually would consider anywhere on the west coast even another state. All my family is in California, I miss them.
ONe thing we wouldn't want is to live in a desert area. I lived in Palmdale, got tired of that!
Thank you so much and God Bless!!!!! Gotta cut this short babies crying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Read the threads, don't do it!!!!

I don't care how much work comes to your hubby, being established is different than being in new to an area where there are thousands that do exactly what he does. As for the EMT same story, do you have any idea how many have studied to be EMTs, have passed the tests and are waiting?

Why don't you google some cities in No Ca and see if they are hiring EMTs and what will be involved? That would be a start. Maybe there is something out there for him.

Good luck

Nita

Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeska30 View Post
Hi! My husband and I and our 2 babies live in Largo, FL. I am a So. Cal. girl but my husband is from Pinellas County. We have been here a year and I really miss my family and all the beauty of Cali, but we are not moving back anytime soon, unless I could convince him
I am not from the North Cali area but I used to love visiting. However I am pretty ignorant as far as living there and also any area besides the touristy areas, Santa Cruz, S.F., etc. Also my husband isn't really into So.Cal. but he does really like No. Cal.
So I turn to all your wisdong in hopes of getting some insight and info on how realistic it would be to move to Northern Cal.
Hoping to get ideas on areas that would be good for our family to live?
Places that are close to a big city but are not a big city.
Here is some information on our family.
My husband does computer work of all kind, web design, repairs, marketing, laptop repair, and just about everything you can do with a computer. He also does handyman work. He doesn't even have to look for work, it just comes to him,word of mouth. On top of all this he is planning on testing and get his EMT. license so that he can get into Firefighting. He was a firefighter in the Air Force when he was 19. Anyways I say all this to point out that thankfully even in these tough times we seem to be doing ok becuase my husband can and is willing to do everything. This is the short version.
The last bit of info on us that is of importance is that our 21 month old son has Down syndrome. He is an amazing little boy, he has taught us sooooo much and lights up our lives. So wherever we live there has to be good services for special needs.
So in saying ALL that, if anyone actually read this entire post, what are your opinions on living in any part of Northern or even Central California for that matter.
Oh also if there is any chance to a big piece of land to grow our own fruit and veggies, etc. and just raise our kids while also growing in our faith with God. We want to eventually serve God and help people however we can. I know I didn't need to add all that, but there it is.
OK anyone still reading? I know I sound like a dreamer. I actually would consider anywhere on the west coast even another state. All my family is in California, I miss them.
ONe thing we wouldn't want is to live in a desert area. I lived in Palmdale, got tired of that!
Thank you so much and God Bless!!!!! Gotta cut this short babies crying!
I'm terribly sorry that you are not here because with all of its problems, Cali is still California - the BEST place to live in the entire U.S. (OK, I am officially prejudiced towards my State

My grandma on one side of the family lived in FL and there were these cockroaches that FLY! Do you have those?

For what you want to do, (have a garden, strong Christian beliefs) at present I would rec the Central Valley since there are foreclosures all over and you may be able to pick up something you like. Try redfin.com, zillow.com, google maps. Also for land, unitedcountry.com

I used to live in Palmdale, and I know how you feel about that place, however there are foreclosures everywhere in the AV, especially Palmdale around the AV Mall area.

That stated, employment is really really rough in Cali right now and will be for the foreseeable future. Being an EMT is good, however, many public entities all over the State are cutting services waaaay back due to loss of tax revenues through the county Assessor's Offices.

Can your husband be a nurse? There are openings for RNs, so much so that a few hospitals (like the one in Lompoc) have hired nurses from the Philipines.

In order to move across the country, I would venture to guess you would need about $15k to come back. We recently moved back here to Cali from another State and it cost us about $10k which includes costs for a moving truck, first month's rent and a security deposit, meals out and a hotel for 6 days. My husband's company paid an additional $12k for an Atlas Moving Van.

If you have to stay in FL, there is a church in Jenson Beach that has a ministry called The Enable Ministry where families that have special needs children are served at no cost.

First Baptist Jensen Beach

Otherwise, here in Cali, Irvine has an outstanding special needs program for children. I'm sorry, but I don't know what the Central Valley has to offer regarding this issue.

~Cali-girl

Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))Thanks Cali-girl, you are a sweetheart! See this is another thing. People are always ragging on Californians, saying they are snobs, rude, etc. So not true, unfortunately because it is such a sought after place to live most people there are not even from Cali, and alot of these people are giving Cali a bad reputation. OK so you prove that point. I will drop that now.
I am happy for you that you got to go back home. Maybe one day we will be back.
Sadly my husband is not that crazy about it. He thinks it is to dry and brown and crazy. Whatever! California is so huge there is every kind of geography, landscape, people, etc.
Thank you for the advice on where to consider calling home. Jensen Beach sounds really cool and that church is wonderful, I followed the link to their site. I wish we had one like that here in Largo. Who knows maybe that is our mission to start one!
Well I appreciate all your help. I have to go for now. I have been trying to type this for hours but the babies keep interrupting me and needing me.
God Bless You!!
Jessika

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeska30 View Post
((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))Thanks Cali-girl, you are a sweetheart! See this is another thing. People are always ragging on Californians, saying they are snobs, rude, etc. So not true, unfortunately because it is such a sought after place to live most people there are not even from Cali, and alot of these people are giving Cali a bad reputation. OK so you prove that point. I will drop that now.
I am happy for you that you got to go back home. Maybe one day we will be back.
Sadly my husband is not that crazy about it. He thinks it is to dry and brown and crazy. Whatever! California is so huge there is every kind of geography, landscape, people, etc.
Thank you for the advice on where to consider calling home. Jensen Beach sounds really cool and that church is wonderful, I followed the link to their site. I wish we had one like that here in Largo. Who knows maybe that is our mission to start one!
Well I appreciate all your help. I have to go for now. I have been trying to type this for hours but the babies keep interrupting me and needing me.
God Bless You!!
Jessika
{{{{{Hugs back!}}}}} No worries! Your babies need babyin' -

And you're right, the nicest folks are here in Cali - lots of people come from other States, are rude, how shall I say....quite intolerant and sour. Sad thing is when they lay claim to being a *real* Californian. Thank you for recognizing this problem and making this distinction

Take care

~Cali-girl

Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 AM

205 posts, read 589,128 times
Once you leave Cali.. you will definitely miss it.
I have relatives in AZ, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Montana who are dying to get back!

No matter where you may roam..there's no place like home.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:00 AM

Oh so true Yvetta, oh so true! The only place that I have lived that I didn't really miss cali much was Hawaii! OF course that is an island paradise, and I only lived there 2 years, so I didn't get the chance to experience island fever.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 AM

260 posts, read 768,492 times
My sister is trying to get into a nursing program in N.Cal. and everything is impacted. I guess everyone is rethinking their new career.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
Once you leave Cali.. you will definitely miss it.
I have relatives in AZ, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and Montana who are dying to get back!

No matter where you may roam..there's no place like home.
this certainly isn't a true statement. I know people who have left for Texas, NM, AZ. here and Ok that would not go back unless there was something really strong pulling them back. We have other friends that would go back in a second. In fact 2 couples we know in Texas are split, the wives want to move to Ca and the husbands won't budge.

It is time people realize, one state is great for one person, another for others. There is no one right place to live.

Nita

Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is time people realize, one state is great for one person, another for others. There is no one right place to live.

Nita
Thats not true at all. I'm in my 40's, lived in 6 (yes, six) states, coast to coast. Plus 10 or so cities. I'm moved with my parents, by myself, with my husband, and our whole family. We would be back in SD in a second if there was steady work there, despite, the possibility of both Mexico and California failing as states. We were happy there as a family. It was and is a great place to live, maybe not for you but definitely for us. And we have the experience of living all over the USA to use as a barometer.

I haven't lived there in over 2 years but not a day goes by that I don't think back to my not so rushed, easy-going, day-to-day life there, plus friends, family, church, the chaparral, the mountains, the beach and even the Pancho Villas supermercado I used to hit once a week for tamales.
The problem is we can't find jobs there. I'm not 20, I am not going to work at waitress PT and share a single home with 15 other people. Good jobs, like RN's are priced out as there are immigrants from places like the Philippines, who will work dirt cheap. I'm not picking on them as much as I am pointing out that there are no sustainable or growth jobs for adults who have or plan on starting families.

I would say, if you can stay there, do everything you can to remain. But if you have moved out, it is extremely hard to get back. So be prepared to say goodbye for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland