Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times

Advertisements

I am moving to SF area for school- finishing a doctorate so I will be both busy and broke.
Commute time is a concern as well as what neighborhoods, schools etc are safe...I am a single mom with one child in elementary school.
My options are minimal considering...but I would still hope to enjoy some diversity, space (not in SF metro) and maybe spend less than half my time in traffic. It would be great to use public transportation-
We also really like to take Kung Fu, African dance, Capoeira...etc

Any suggestions for a place that could be a reasonable community for a few years?

Thanx for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Well, all three places you've listed are in the "SF Metro."

But based on your likely lifestyle, schools, and, the key "It would be great to use public transportation" your only real choice is Albany.

Fairfax - you are going to either have to do the GG Bridge or take a ferry to get into the City.

Oakland - schools are not so great.

BTW - Albany is a great place, in general. If I had to move back to the East Bay it would be high on my list. To get into the City either take El Cerrito Plaza BART or the bus.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM

655 posts, read 1,983,525 times
Are you commuting to San Francisco, or somewhere else? If it's to SF, I'd take Fairfax off the list (except *maybe* if your commute is very near the GG Bridge).

I'd look in Albany near El Cerrito Plaza BART station; that's probably the best bang for the buck. There's a lot of rental housing and a lot of smaller homes and condos, which would be fine for a family of two. (Albany is only affordable---relatively!---because it's built out and the houses tend to be small bungalows.) You're close enough to Oakland and Berkeley to get to things like capoeira fairly easily. It's not the world's most diverse city, but definitely moreso than Fairfax (which is 90%+ white).

The challenge with Oakland is that the areas with good schools have relatively little rental housing available, and the homes are typically bigger (good schools = higher income neighborhoods = higher rents and large more expensive homes). They also tend to be less transit-accessible, except for the Transbay bus to the Financial District. Rockridge is the exception (BART station + great elementary schools) but rents are pretty high there.

The other place that comes to mind is Alameda, which could be worth considering depending on where you're commuting to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland