Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM

44 posts, read 120,436 times

Advertisements

Wanting to relocate from st louis.........(black female)

What are some safe, well mixed (black, white, hispanic) areas of Oakland?

Is Oakland a dangerous city? The media tries to make it look crime ridden?

Jobs? Cost of living? Family entertainment? Night clubs, poetry clubs and comedy clubs?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
Look around - we have a ton of threads about these things around here. Lots of great places to live, eat, work, recreate, etc.

Note that we also have a couple of trolls (non-Oakland residents) who show up on every Oakland thread and do nothing but dump on Oakland, so many threads get sidetracked for a bit until these jokers get bored and go elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post

Jobs? Cost of living? Family entertainment? Night clubs, poetry clubs and comedy clubs?

Thanks!!!
Right now jobs are very very tight. VERY.

I can't think of a comedy club in Oakland, there's two in SF, one in Pleasanton.

Oakland is a mixed bag, like all cities of any size. If you're willing to pay a higher rent, you can be in a nicer safer neighborhood. If you can't afford it, you're going to have to put up with some stuff and be very careful. Keep your street smarts about you. Don't mix with riff-raff...

We've lived in a dicier area for 22 years with very few problems (one home break in -- two car break ins). We have friends that won't come to our home because they are scared of Deep East Oakland.

When we leave our house all doors and windows are closed and locked. When I am home alone all my doors are locked. My windows are fairly inaccessible, and therefore anyone trying anything there would make a lot of noise.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:00 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
I have no answers as far as neighborhoods etc. But a family member of mine just moved to Oakland from Austin and he couldn't stop talking about how nice it is compared to what he was expecting.

But he had a good job waiting for him and a decent amount of cash on hand so.... results may vary.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:29 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I have no answers as far as neighborhoods etc. But a family member of mine just moved to Oakland from Austin and he couldn't stop talking about how nice it is compared to what he was expecting.

But he had a good job waiting for him and a decent amount of cash on hand so.... results may vary.
I love Oakland. I would move back here in a New York Minute if finding a job were not a problem. Oakland feels more like home to me than Austin. A previous poster is correct, jobs are very, VERY tight.

Oakland is a city. It has its problems but it is incredibly welcoming. I've never had any difficulties.

As far as neighborhoods: Piedmont, Rockridge, Montclair (not really Oaklandish to me), Laurel District, Grand Lake/Lakeshore area? The possibilities are really endless.

I lived in East Oakland when I lived here (and am staying with a friend in East Oakland now, right near the Lake) and never felt in danger but you should always remain vigilant. Don't put yourself in precarious situations.

If you are fortune to make your way out here, enjoy yourself! It's one of my favorite places.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,288,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percent View Post

Thanks!!!
Since you're from St. Louis, Oakland will not scare you. Most people from a major city once they visit Oakland realize the fear mongering from the media is highly exaggerated. Oakland is very diverse and nothing like St. Louis in that regard which is mostly Black and White and a few others.

I've been to St. Louis and can tell you, St. Louis crime wise is more dangerous than Oakland and the ghettos out there are more depressed.

Since Oakland is in the middle of a metro you can find pretty much everything comedy related across the bridge in SF or around the Bay, Oakland has several night clubs and SF has many more, so do smaller cities surrounding both cities. Poetry is huge here and you'll find a ton of coffee shops that have poetry nights etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
What City Boy said...

I think your in for a very pleasant surprise.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
City Boy and Montclair are right. Oakland is a very nice city and it will really surprise you just how nice, diverse and beautiful it is.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:53 AM

205 posts, read 589,048 times
Oakland is a wonderful city. Do not believe the media hype, they don't live here and report what they don't know.
The city is culturally diverse, friendly and the topography is beautiful.
Welcome and Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland