Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
LOL!! You're a riot....

I'm not the one talkin' about it - you are. All I said is that I'm not takin' it seriously without seeing some photos. And you keep wasting time with non-responses.

I think you're out of your element here in this thread anyway. You're much better suited to defending corporate traitors and thieves.

Do you know how to use Google?

Search for "Hawaiian islands trash"

Example Web resource:
Cousteau Finds "Horrifying" Trash on Desert Islands

Floating dump site in Pacific surveyed - World environment- msnbc.com

Click on "Images"
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0
Example images:

Enough proof yet?

Last edited by Mach50; 10-26-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
On the same token maybe it's "paranoia" to suggest that individuals aren't responsible enough to make CHOICES and need to have them made for them..

The point that you missed which we discussed was the one of the burden on the working class and poor to have to purchase bags, while plastic bags are free..

Just a few years back, the Ecos were complaining about paper bags and how many "trees were chopped down" and so the advent of the popularity of plastic bags became prevalent, and now.. suddenly.. plastic bags are a HUGE problem?.. What will happen when it is discovered that the canvas bags are made from material of some indiginous fiber plant? or the MORE likely, that they are made in Chinese sweatshops by 6 year old kids? What if ANOTHER group decides that they don't like something and want to have it banned from stores.. let's say Maple Syrup?..

I find it commendable that people CHOOSE to carry their own bags to the grocery store, but it should be merely that a Choice.. I'm Pro-Choice on that issue!
I'm pretty sure that if you actually read any of my posts, all of your arguments have been refuted already. Plastic bags ARE a huge problem. Where in the world do you think they end up? How do you think they "go away"?

As for the morons that are implying that that gigantic plastic filled trash pile in the ocean isn't real.. I suppose that you haven't actually seen proof of the earth being round either? Oh, you're skeptical?

When actual proof, is laid out for you, the exceptionally dumb still say it's not real since they haven't actually been there. Or it's biased by all the world's top media organizations. I suppose Mt Everest is all a hoax too since you haven't climbed to the top..or perhaps it's just a hill, people say it's bigger than it actually is? Our entire solar system is fake too since you cannot see it? Ugh, obviously, there's no fixing stupid. Sadly and disturbingly, common sense doesn't even prevail.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Do you know how to use Google?

Search for "Hawaiian islands trash"

Example Web resource:
Cousteau Finds "Horrifying" Trash on Desert Islands

Floating dump site in Pacific surveyed - World environment- msnbc.com

Click on "Images"
hawaiian islands trash - Google Images
Example images:

Enough proof yet?
Of course not!

Why are you all wasting time with pictures of trash on beaches. That was never in contention. Pictures of trash on beaches are easy and a dime a dozen.

The contention was/is that there is a pacific garbage patch twice the size of Texas (anyone among you have any idea how big Texas is?) in the middle of the ocean. If true, it should not be at all difficult to produce a photo.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict View Post
The contention was/is that there is a pacific garbage patch twice the size of Texas (anyone among you have any idea how big Texas is?) in the middle of the ocean. If true, it should not be at all difficult to produce a photo.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

And those pictures were also provided.

You have merely chosen to ignore them as "propaganda"

Old 10-26-2009, 12:37 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you actually read any of my posts, all of your arguments have been refuted already. Plastic bags ARE a huge problem. Where in the world do you think they end up? How do you think they "go away"?

As for the morons that are implying that that gigantic plastic filled trash pile in the ocean isn't real.. I suppose that you haven't actually seen proof of the earth being round either? Oh, you're skeptical?

When actual proof, is laid out for you, the exceptionally dumb still say it's not real since they haven't actually been there. Or it's biased by all the world's top media organizations. I suppose Mt Everest is all a hoax too since you haven't climbed to the top..or perhaps it's just a hill, people say it's bigger than it actually is? Our entire solar system is fake too since you cannot see it? Ugh, obviously, there's no fixing stupid. Sadly and disturbingly, common sense doesn't even prevail.
Name calling and childish references to Mt. Everest or the shape of the earth are hardly compelling, clone. The just reveal your gullibility and lack of understanding what this debate is really about.

There is no political/ideological agenda at the foundation of a Mt. Everest or round earth claim. Ya' spose that's why I've seen lots of pictures of both?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Do you have any specific data or statistics to back up your claims? I mean, besides posting articles from websites with a vested interest in having plastic bags banned OR from European newspapers which are irrelevant to U.S. policies..

Wow! It seems obvious based on your posts that there is alot of resentment towards the American public when you dismiss people as being "stupid".. It's called a difference of opinion which we have a right to have (of course until it's banned LOL!).. I don't believe that government should dictate the decisions of people.. That said, YES, I believe that people have a responsibility to protect the enviornment, BUT people should be trusted to make decisions for themselves and NOT forced to by a law, especially over something as petty as PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS!

Al Gore makes a 2 hour powerpoint presentation and all of a sudden, "Everything is in Danger!, Let's Ban Plastic Bags and Dictate people's decisions!".. What did Al Gore do during his 8 years as Vice President of the U.S. to ensure that "Global Warming" was stopped? Also, when Al Gore travels does he drive a VW bus powered by Vegetable oil? Umm.. No, he uses a private jet powered by Saudi Arabian Fuel..

Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Anyone who thinks a plastic bag is free must be mentally deficient. They are part of a store's overhead and so that cost will always be passed on to the consumer. That's simple business.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
It actually depends on where you shop.. Regardless of "who does what" is not the issue, the issue is that MORE jobs will be deemed unnecessary as a result..
No -- the point is that baggers don't just bag -- they will all stay employed, and you will still see them bagging your 20 or 30 hemp bags the Eco Nazi's (Eco-Nazi's -- really? Have to bring Hitler into this?) make you purchase from China.

So you can go yourself.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We get a 5 cent rebate for bringing our own. It certainly isn't a state of city law, just the policy of our stores.

Nita

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No -- the point is that baggers don't just bag -- they will all stay employed, and you will still see them bagging your 20 or 30 hemp bags the Eco Nazi's (Eco-Nazi's -- really? Have to bring Hitler into this?) make you purchase from China.

So you can go yourself.
How do you know that baggers will still be employed? In many stores, they ARE the ones that stock the bags.. Also, many of the canvas bags that are made and marketed in stores 1) aren't made from hemp and 2) if you look at the little "Made in" tab one will see where they are made.. It ain't in the U.S...

And yes, making laws against people based on the notion that the public is too "stupid" to decide for themselves is Nazi-esque as is singling out a group to suit one's own agenda.. , meanwhile the elite in the movement are flying around in Corporate jets emitting tons of Greenhouse gases into the air..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland