Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,348 times

Advertisements

My daughter goes to school near Union Square in SF. Right now she is commuting several times a week from Carmel, where she rents with a friend. I am trying to find something for her to rent near school in SF, the driving back and forth is taking quite a toll on her and costing her a ton of money.

Does anyone know of places near there that are for rent that are fairly reasonably priced? Or a place where I can help her look to find a roomate situation?

Thanks so much!
~C~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
She would be best off checking Craigslist for roommate or rental situations. Usually the more resonably priced places right around Union Square are NOT a place you would want your daughter to live alone, (most likely)
she's be better off looking for a roommate situation in other neighborhoods that are then easily accessed by the BART or the Muni within city limits.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times
Union Square is one of the nicest areas in San Francisco (most of it). There are many female students who live on their own in this district. However, it is not a reasonably priced area and the cheapest apts will most likely border the Tenderloin, which is a terrible area for a young single female. I'm assuming she is attending the Art Institute, right? I have a few friends who go there and most commute from the USF, Panhandle, and Inner Richmond areas. I'd recommend looking on craigslist.com for shared apts in San Francisco. In the search box type "student" and hopefully there will be a room available among USF students. The students who go to this school for the most part come from good families. She would be much better off having college room mates rather than random professionals. MUNI #5, #31 and #38 will take her to Union Square (straight shot).

Will she keep her car? Parking in these areas is cheaper than Union Square, but will still cost around $200-$300 per month. She can also visit the USF campus and check to see if there are any fliers for room rentals.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times
Check around the BART Glen Park or Balboa station in the southwest part of the city. It's a short commute on BART to downtown.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Many years ago I rented a studio apt. (on a month to month basis) on Pine Street (a few blocks away from Union Square). It was very convenient at that time as I was able to walk to my job in the Financial District (about 5 blocks away).

Old 10-31-2009, 12:48 AM

Thanks to you all for your input and advice. I really appreciate it!

I like the idea of her looking at USF to see whats available.

I will let her know to do that. I was looking online and found a place called

Avalon@ Cedar Ridge, does anyone know anything about that place?

Thanks again!

~Myst~

Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 AM

I went to craigslist and am finding a few places in lower nob hill, does anyone know if this is a safe part to live in?
Thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteefied View Post
Thanks to you all for your input and advice. I really appreciate it!

I like the idea of her looking at USF to see whats available.

I will let her know to do that. I was looking online and found a place called

Avalon@ Cedar Ridge, does anyone know anything about that place?

Thanks again!

~Myst~
If she wants roomies, USF is definetely one of her better options.

I don't know anyone who lives at Avalon @ Cedar Ridge, but here are some online reviews...keep in mind there are always more negatives because people who enjoy living in their apts usually don't bother writing reviews.

Avalon at Cedar Ridge Apartments - Google Maps

Where is her school located?

Parking can be a pain and costly if you are commuting to downtown SF. I used to pay $15-$20 per day when I worked in Union Square. From Avalon @ Cedar Ridge, you would really need to drive to downtown.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I went to craigslist and am finding a few places in lower nob hill, does anyone know if this is a safe part to live in?
Thanks
It depends where in Lower Nob Hill, but for the most part it's not that great of an area in my opinion. There are many homeless people and prostitutes. It borders a bad part of the Tenderloin. I have never felt in danger in that area, it just isn't pleasant on the eyes. Once again, it depends where in Lower Nob Hill. It's a short bus ride from Union Square though.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 10-31-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 01:17 PM

96 posts, read 309,478 times
Quote:
Thanks
I live in the neighborhood and it is safe and full of students. Plus it's a 5 minute walk to Union Square. Hard to beat imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland