Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,350,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The rain shadow places get less quantity of rain per storm. But typically, when a storm comes in, they still get lots of clouds and wind.
very true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Not when there is an inversion or any hint of northerly or offshore flow. In those cases, the Sunset is the warmest place in the Bay Area, and Monterey is the warmest place in the general region. When I lived in the Sunset, I spent a lot of time in the East Bay for work. In winter, I'd feel more cold in the East Bay than at home. Between storms, I'd be out in back by the barbeque, basking in the sun and the reflection off the water. It would be reliably in the 60s for highs, often approaching 70, between the storms, in that particular microclimate. And never any frost or even the slightest hint of dank smoky cold inland valley feeling or tule fog.
Kind of sort of. Generally speaking the east bay is warmer overall. However those offshore winds can turn everything upside down. Those are the equivalent of our Santa Ana winds we have down here. When those blow, the coast is warmer than the desert so what you said makes sense when the offshores blow up there. I've experience that warmer coast phenomenon around the bay as well during those conditions.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,709,739 times
gloomy and everyone runs for cover when it rains! LOL pretty fun to watch

Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 PM

424 posts, read 1,378,088 times
Yeah, even though the airfare was a steal, I let it pass since I don't want to shell out hundreds of bucks just to sit in my hotel the whole time if the weather decides not to co-operate.

I will probably look at late spring.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,099,623 times
From what I gather, if you were in the Bay area for, say, a week, you could probably count on a few days of rain and a few days of glorious sunshine. That and it's not like rain renders you unable to leave your room. It wouldn't be as bad as one of those "Noreasters" that hit the Northeast lol.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 AM

30,879 posts, read 36,900,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
And I gather that, as one can do in spring/summer to get a break from the coastal stratus, you could head down to the South Bay and have a good chance of sunny weather in the rain shadow areas (San Jose, PA, Mountain View etc)? Precipiatation averages are 30-40% lower in those areas than the city and the East Bay and considerably lower than Marin and the mountainous areas.
I live in the South Bay. It is drier here in the winter. We get fewer days of rain. But mostly, its the rain intensity---it rains harder on rainy days in San Francisco than it does further south.

Sometimes we will get an overcast day in the South Bay while it rains in San Francisco and Oakland.

Surprisingly the winter sunshine is actually a tiny bit higher on the coast in winter than it is in the Valley. The valley can get Tule fog a day or two each winter while the cost gets sun.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
Thanks for the input. The only reason I was considering it at that time is due to southwest's insane offer on airfare during that time.
It seems like we usually get a warm spell in late January or early February where the temperatures hit the high 60s or low 70s and it's sunny and beautiful for a few days....then it goes back to being chilly and/or nasty. But this obviously can't be counted on.

Coming in late February would improve your chances of getting nice weather as the temperature is more likely to be closer to 60 (low 60s in the South Bay) by then, with a slightly lower chance of rain.....but it's still dicey.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
Also I was reading about the closing of the bay bridge, would that be a problem if I were planning on using the BART as my main source of transport? As for the cold that is relative since I am from the Boise Idaho area, where it is usually between 20-40 Degrees between November and March (although it is a dry cold). I was in Oakland a couple of weeks ago for a business conference when they got between 3-4 inches of rain in one day and that was pretty crazy (especially since the roof and seals of the Hotel leaked).
The only problem might be crowding on BART. But BART is a lifesaver when there are problems with the bridge.

We did get a nasty storm a few weeks ago but were glad to get it because we really need the rain. It's unusual for us to get that much rain in October, though.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I live in the South Bay. It is drier here in the winter. We get fewer days of rain. But mostly, its the rain intensity---it rains harder on rainy days in San Francisco than it does further south.

Sometimes we will get an overcast day in the South Bay while it rains in San Francisco and Oakland.

Surprisingly the winter sunshine is actually a tiny bit higher on the coast in winter than it is in the Valley. The valley can get Tule fog a day or two each winter while the cost gets sun.
This is true. I remember weather forecast there saying stuff like "rain north of San Francisco" or rain north of San Jose and that's pretty much exactly how it happened.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is true. I remember weather forecast there saying stuff like "rain north of San Francisco" or rain north of San Jose and that's pretty much exactly how it happened.
Yes, the number of rainy days north of the Golden Gate increases pretty quickly the further north you go. As you go south, the number of rainy days decreases, but the decrease is more gradual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland