U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,412 times

Advertisements

Hey - I am a young 30 year old who has lived in cities on the east coast for ten years. Originally from Oakland, I think I may be getting a job in Napa. My family used to spend some time in Calistoga and I do not really think the Napa valley is where I want to be young & eventually be looking for a partner (more older people?).

Is Santa Rosa a bearable commute? Is Rohnert Park better? I will be working off hours and be on my own schedule if that helps. Where would you live if you were not married and wanted to be social? I have enough to buy a small home in Santa Rosa (maybe something under 300 thou). If Santa Rosa or Rohnert Park what neighborhood? Are there any homes in a walkable downtown type environment? Even condos?

Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:13 PM

23 posts, read 158,777 times
If I wasn't married and looking, I'd probably want to be in the city. Rohnert Park is a strictly bedroom town- there's no town center, it's all just residential subdivisions (they're even alphabetized!) and big box stores. Santa Rosa has a town center, and I think there are a few apartments in the area- around 1300-1500 for a 1br.

It's about an hour commute with no traffic, which might be a bit long... any reason you're looking west, instead of to Vallejo, Vacaville or Fairfield?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,412 times
Thanks for replying. I have very negative childhood memories of vacaville/ fairfield and cannot see myself there. Maybe that is an old prejudice of mine....

Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Zod

32 posts, read 67,091 times
Rohnert Park should be renamed Trailer Park. Unbelievable the number of mobile home communities there. And ironic given the proximity to artsy San Francisco and the beautiful natural surroundings.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM

358 posts, read 976,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin callahan View Post
Thanks for replying. I have very negative childhood memories of vacaville/ fairfield and cannot see myself there. Maybe that is an old prejudice of mine....
I wouldn't really consider those places for a young single person to be anyway. If you want social interaction with single people in your age range, you are going to have to look at either Santa Rosa (which doesn't get you much, but its more than anyplace in the Napa Valley) or look to the south at places in the East Bay. The handful of young people in Rohnert Park are primarily students at Sonoma State or very recent graduates. So if you are into college parties, then maybe you'll find it a fun place to live.

There are some young people in the city of Napa, but if you aren't interested in the wine or high-end restaurant industry (or aren't interested in being a winery or chef "groupie"), then you'll feel out of place. The Napa Valley is the Hollywood of the Wine/Restaurant industry.

Have you considered Berkeley or going back to Oakland? Berkeley to Napa is 50 mins without traffic. Its a bit long, but you'll have a world of options for your social life.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,986,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin callahan View Post
Hey - I am a young 30 year old who has lived in cities on the east coast for ten years. Originally from Oakland, I think I may be getting a job in Napa. My family used to spend some time in Calistoga and I do not really think the Napa valley is where I want to be young & eventually be looking for a partner (more older people?).

Is Santa Rosa a bearable commute? Is Rohnert Park better? I will be working off hours and be on my own schedule if that helps. Where would you live if you were not married and wanted to be social? I have enough to buy a small home in Santa Rosa (maybe something under 300 thou). If Santa Rosa or Rohnert Park what neighborhood? Are there any homes in a walkable downtown type environment? Even condos?

Any help would be appreciated.

I think Bennet Valley (in Santa Rosa) might work for you, or in the east part of Santa Rosa proper. Since you could drive during off-commute hours, Highway 12 would get you there in about an hour with a pretty drive. But is an hour a 'bearable commute' for you?

I agree with the other commenters, you probably don't want Rohnert Park.... or Vacaville, Fairfield. (It's too hot over there for quite a few months of the year, for one thing )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland