Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 AM

334 posts, read 1,066,714 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me which bridge is the most dangerous/has the most accidents "per drivers daily" in the bay area? Bay? Golden Gate? Richmond? Dunbarton? or San Mateo? Also, which one is the worst for traffic? Which one is the scariest in poor weather conditions? Fog and rain?

I am thinking about going back to work after a 3 year hiatus having a kid. It is becoming a reality that 2 incomes will enable us to have a better life. Since I worked in the consumer tech. field before my baby, I'm thinking Silicon Valley will be a likely location where I find a job. The caveat is that I will want to live near where I work. Right now we live in Walnut Creek. My husbands office is also in Walnut Creek; however, he is willing to commute, but I'm not so it is likely we would have to relocate to SV/Peninsula or if I work in SF, we'd move to Peninsula or Marin. Whichever has the least traffic. I refuse to do a long commute to get to and from work. Its non-negotiable.

My issue is what my husbands commute would be like from either of these places to WC? Especially in the dangerous, and long lasting rains we get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
The Bay Bridge is by far the scariest of them all. Drivers speed, truckers swerve, there are multiple accidents per day. It's dangerous in any conditions, and besides, all it's going to take is one big earthquake to make the whole big stupid thing crash down for good. It's still not structurally sound from Loma Prieta 20 years ago.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
What the OP describes is a reverse commute. The San Mateo Bridge is a breeze, eastbound, in the AM. As is the Dumbarton (spelled with an "M" in the first syllable, not an "N").

Old 11-03-2009, 10:53 AM

What towns are near the dumbarton bridge similar to Lafayette or Orinda? How long would it take going across those bridges to get to Walnut Creek?

How long does it take to get to SF proper?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
What towns are near the dumbarton bridge similar to Lafayette or Orinda?
I would skip the bridges and look to eastern Fremont, particularly Mission San Jose and Mission Valley.. that way you'll both be close to I-680 for commute purposes. You won't have the small-town feel of the Lamorinda towns, but it makes sense on all other counts - you avoid the worst of the Sunol Grade backup going south, he can get to Walnut Creek in 30 minutes, and you get to live in a beautiful area with great schools, wildlife, and a local economy that is holding up fairly well.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 AM

I dont think I would like living in a place that lacked shopping and dining options like Fremont. I wouldnt be comfortable living that far away from a large variety of restaurants and shopping areas.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batransplant View Post
I dont think I would like living in a place that lacked shopping and dining options like Fremont. I wouldnt be comfortable living that far away from a large variety of restaurants and shopping areas.
What are you talking about? Fremont has places to eat and shop, if you don't want somewhere there, drive to Union City, Hayward Pleasanton[Mall], or Newark[which is the town connected to the east side of the Dumbarton].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland