Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,060 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Conyers, Ga. a suburb of Atlanta, for the past six years after moving from the So. California area in 2003. My family moved from Rancho Cucamonga, but I have lived in So. California since 1975. I will be re-locating to San Francisco to accept a job as a healthcare professional at the VA medical Center on Clement St. I have been reading the blogs about what would be the best, affordable and safe areas to live, but everyone has a different opinion, which can be confusing. So, just let me tell you what I am looking for. I need a 2 bedroom place that is about 900+ square ft. for myself, husband and 24 year old son who has high functioning autism. He is interested in trying to find employment (he can do simple tasks). I need to be in an area where there are retail stores. I have a car, but I would like to use public transportation most of the time.

Can anyone tell me about the Pittsburgh/Antioch area? I have seen rents in the $700-800 range and wondered if these areas are in the slums? I have also looked for places in Daly City, Hayward, Pleasant Hills, Dublin, Vallego, Pleasanton, Fremont and Castro Valley. I was also told there are nice and safe areas in parts of Oakland.

I also want to be near transportation that will get me and my son to work within one hour or less. I can afford to pay up to $ 1200 for rent initially; hopefully, if my son and husband find work, I will be able to move up. My husband is a independent truck driver that has his own truck and is looking to pick up work near the ports. Do anyone have ideas or info about getting work near the ships or airport? Thanks everyone in advance for your assistance, I will be moving after Jan. 1st 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:05 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Where will you be working? Please do not move to Pittsburgh or Antioch. Need more information as to where to suggest areas to you.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Default Moving from Atlanta to San Francisco

Thanks for your reply Bayarea-girl. I will be working at the SF Veterans Hospital on Clement St. What's wrong with Pittsburgh? Just curious.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Crime and lack of amenities is what is wrong with Pittsburgh and Antioch. If you have kids also more reason not to put those places on your list. You won't find anything but a 1bd for $700-800 a month in any of the areas you listed.

Oakland and Daly City I would recommend to you due to the proximity and commute to SF, not to mention prices will be a lot lower for rentals. The draw back to Daly City is that it gets cold there and has too much fog for my liking. Oakland has great weather most of the year (90% of the time). But be careful where you rent, Oakland is improving but can be very dangerous/rough in some spots the better parts of Oakland is around the Lake Merrit area, Temescal is transitional, Oakland Hills (might be pricey) and Rockridge areas are places you might want to really check into. Also you might want to check out Alameda/El Sobrante, and Hercules, not sure what the rentals are going for right now but it is closer and or the same commute difference to SF as the other places you listed.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention you should also check out San Leandro.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,900 times
Yeah... the whole Pittsburgh, Antioch & Martinez thing isn't perfected yet, although that seems to be where new housing is going and they're trying to clean it up. Plus, that HWY 4, which is what you'll be driving for everything, is a death trap.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Default Moving From Atlanta to San Francisco

Thanks again bayarea-1 and sms1967 for your responses, they were very helpful. One more question.....How is the economy in terms of finding jobs? My husband is an independent truck driver looking to obtain work near or in the air or sea ports. My son will probably look for work in retail, any suggestions or opinions?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 9,417 times
Hi adam7683. Oakland is BY FAR your best choice. Commuting from Pittsburg to the Richmond District in SF with either a car or with public transit can take up to 2 hours. I've lived in SF, Berkeley, and Oakland, and I like the areas around Lake Merritt (Lakeside, Adams Point, Cleveland Heights, and Downtown South of Broadway). These are attractive neighborhoods with near perfect weather and lots of amenites. Finding a 2 bedroom apartment for under 1200 shouldn't be too hard. It would probably be in one of the many 1920s style buildings around the
lake. Hop on BART at the Lake Merritt Station and you're in downtown SF in 15 minutes. Getting to the VA will take another 45 on the bus.

flora

Old 11-17-2009, 07:22 AM

Jobs are hard to come by in these days and times. I can't really give you advice about retail and trucking jobs. But do your research now. It is easier to find a job here than Atlanta though.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
I would also look into the fare/toll situation. BART could easily cost you $7-8 roundtrip and if you drive the Bay Bridge toll is $4. Most of the areas in your budget range will be a whole different world than the one you are used to in the Atlanta Metro. People tend to commute much further distances in the Bay Area for affordability. Long commutes are a fact of life. People complain about the traffic in the Atlanta Metro, but I think that the Bay Area is much worse. There are a lot more bottlenecks such as bridges and tunnels in the Bay Area that tend to clog up. You will need to balance the cost of rent vs. commute costs and commute time.

I do love the Bay Area. There is so much to do and the scenery is beautiful, but you definately pay for it as compared to Atlanta. I was born and raised in the Bay Area and now live in Midtown, so I do have experience with both areas. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland