U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 PM

9,741 posts, read 17,693,908 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know you probably get all sorts of these posts (I know we do in the Boston forum) so I appreciate the patience.

We booked a sweet deal of a 3 day trip to S.F. next week (Tues, Weds, and Thurs... leaving on Friday). We got a room at Hotel Whitcomb for $55/night via Hotwire (seems like a fair value, no?) and pretty cheap non-stops on Virgin America (about $230pp round trip) so we decided to do it. I'm looking for things to do.

I'm pretty comfortable doing anything. I'm an Urban Planning student with a fascination of architecture, so there are a number of destinations I already have circled to visit. I want to get some good food. Fine dining is wonderful, but is there anywhere to get some authentic ethnic grub (no matter how exotic)? How about good spots for street food unique to San Francisco? I know we won't be there for prime nightlife evenings, but there has to be some stuff going on (particularly on Thursday)?

My girlfriend is a fashion student who was accepted to a school in S.F. Is there anything she should see?

I'd prefer to stay to off the beaten tourist path as much as possible. What do you do for fun (both cheap and... not so cheap)? I appreciate the suggestions. Even if you think that it's "no big deal," I'd love to hear it anyway. I tend to enjoy the little things just as much as more obvious things.

Thanks again!

-lrfox
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 18 days ago)

36,043 posts, read 36,298,328 times
I think the Cable Car Museum (near Chinatown) is an interesting place to visit.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 8,186,599 times
Take a few hours to enjoy the Ferry Building..really great food and vendors to check out. A few blocks away is Yank Sing..one of the best spots for excellent quality dim sum (albeit pricey if you eat like I do).

There's a beautiful walk along the coast near the Cliff House...just off the parking lot, then head to the right ..really worth it and free!

Twin Peaks is always worth a drive. I used to like going out to "Fort Point" right under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a great view, good scenic walk along Fort Mason etc. Golden Gate Park of course is worth seeing..I particularly like hanging out at the Botanical gardens for a picnic..also free.

Oops, I just posted on the same topic about cheap things to do..North Beach..have a cappuccino or go for a beer at "Vesuvio's" or "Specs" then check out the City Lights Bookstore...

Last edited by clongirl; 11-07-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,495,716 times
Try walking around Clement Street in the Inner Richmond. Lots of Chinese food and markets, but plenty of other food options, too. On the other (west) side of Park Presidio switch over to Geary and walk up the street for lots of additional food options and a more visible Russian presence. Turn right (north) and head up 25th Avenue and keep walking until you run into the Seacliff neighborhood, then make your way to China Beach. China Beach has amazing views of Golden Gate Bridge, is usually really quiet, and there's a good chance you'll have a dolphin sighting.

Getting to the Richmond is easy from your hotel; the 38/38L run up Geary, the 31 runs up Balboa (think it picks up on Larkin and Turk in the Tenderloin), and the 1 is a nice ride along California (or Sacramento, in the one-way sections) from Chinatown.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,243,953 times
The Hotel Whitcomb is a great location for staying off the beaten tourist path since there is a Bart and Muni train station in front of the hotel so you can easily go anywhere and avoid the typical tourist spots if desired. The N car will be your most useful train line. It can take you close to Haight Ashbury,Golden Gate Park and Ocean Beach.

Some suggestions:

1)Take the Bart to Berkeley,check out the University of CA and Telegraph Ave.

2)Take the Bart to Oakland(12th St.),walk over to Oakland Chinatown and get Dim Sum at Peony.

3)Take the Bart to 24th and Mission. Walk east on 24th to get to the heart of the Hispanic Mission area. Try the Carne Asada tacos for lunch at Taqueria Guadalajara at 24th and Shotwell.

Also from a previous post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
2)Hotel Whitcomb. This is your most convenient location for accessing public transportation and exploring areas of the city where you might actually live. This is between 8th and 9th on Market. You can access both Bart & the Muni trains from the Civic Center station between 7th & 8th. Key point:when exiting the trains get out at the 8th St. exit,then you will have a very short walk back to the hotel. If you get out at the 7th St. exit you will have an extra long block in a less desirable portion of Market St. to walk. You can ask a station employee which way out to 8th St.

This location is very close to the main library and city hall. It has a lot of people walking around during business hours. It is less than a block from Ananda,a great veg. restaurant. Going south of Market there is not much of interest for tourists. If you walk north on Larkin past Turk you are heading into the center of the Tenderloin. You are a quick hop on the 21 bus to Hayes Valley from here. The best part is the ease of access to the muni trains. Take any K,L or M train to Castro. Continue on any K,L or M to West Portal to explore a very safe middle class neighborhood with restaurants and shops. From West Portal continue on the L train down Taraval through the Parkside area. Stop anywhere between 19th and 30th to explore or grab a bite at a Chinese restaurant. If you ride the L to the end of the line you end up by SF Zoo and the ocean.

You can also take the N car to Cole Valley, also walk north from Cole Valley to explore Haight St. The N car will also take you to Inner Sunset at 9th/Irving and a couple blocks from Golden Gate Park. You can take the J car to explore Noe Valley or stop by Dolores Park and the fabulous Bi-Rite Market on 18th near Dolores.

You can also take any Muni train inbound to the downtown stations of Powell,Montgomery and Embarcadero. The F car also runs up and down Market & to Pier 39 above ground.

This is a great location for accessing public transit,not so great for walking around the neighborhood. It also has easy Bart access. Bart has a destinations guide available at the station listing the many places you can go all over the Bay area on Bart. There is also a great farmers market at the UN Plaza on Wednesdays.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,524,446 times
Rent cycles and then bike round the Presidio and across the Golden Gate Bridge

Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 AM

9,741 posts, read 17,693,908 times
Thanks so much for the replies, everyone. I'm actually saving this to my netbook's desktop and using it as a guide. The information you've all shared is exactly what I'm looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland