Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,996 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm considering transferring from my current school in Kansas to a school out in California. I've been doing to research and my heart is set on the University of San Francisco. Anyone have any information on the school? Oh and I'll be visiting the school in January just to reassure myself that'll be a good "fit" for me. Are there tons on things a University kid like me can do in San Francisco? For those who say that it'll be a culture shock coming from the midwest, I've been to California many times and I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormingWynn View Post
Okay, so I'm considering transferring from my current school in Kansas to a school out in California. I've been doing to research and my heart is set on the University of San Francisco. Anyone have any information on the school? Oh and I'll be visiting the school in January just to reassure myself that'll be a good "fit" for me. Are there tons on things a University kid like me can do in San Francisco? For those who say that it'll be a culture shock coming from the midwest, I've been to California many times and I love it.
And your parents can afford the out of state tuition? If so, yes, come visit, make sure they are accepting students for next year and enjoy yourself. As for a cultural shock, where in Ca have you been? Have you spent much time in San Francisco? It might be a great fit or you might want to consider one of the other schools in California.

Yes, there are plenty of things for kids to do, just come with a lot of money, cause entertainment in SFO will be a little different than in Kansas.

Nita

Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And your parents can afford the out of state tuition? If so, yes, come visit, make sure they are accepting students for next year and enjoy yourself. As for a cultural shock, where in Ca have you been? Have you spent much time in San Francisco? It might be a great fit or you might want to consider one of the other schools in California.

Yes, there are plenty of things for kids to do, just come with a lot of money, cause entertainment in SFO will be a little different than in Kansas.

Nita
Private school. It's a Roman Catholic affiliated school. Yeah, I know it's very expensive. I'll have to check out what kind of financial aid package they give.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Funny Nita, SFO is the airport.

StormingWynn- my former college roommate is from Kansas (we went to school in DC) and she used to work at USF.
It's a cool school and if financial aid is available to you then that'd be GREAT!
Are you in Lawrence now?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormingWynn View Post
I'm a senior in college and I spent my first 2 years at the University of San Francisco. Overall, it's a college you can get a great education. The class sizes were small, so there were a lot of opportunities to ask questions. The college I'm in now has many classes where there are 200 students, so that would not be possible. Exams are also short answer and short essay, which makes it a bit harder for some students, but forces you to understand the material. In the college I'm in now, most exams are 100% multiple choice, most people find them easier, but I don't like them very much because the next day I don't remember anything. Most of the professors have a PHD and seem to know the subject their teaching. However, what I didn't like about USF was the campus atmosphere. It doesn't really have the typical college feel most people think coming out of high school. There is a lack of campus life...most colleges constantly have concerts, an intense rush week, big games, tail gating, campus wide events etc, while USF has some of these, it's on a very small scale compared to most colleges. The location is great, but also comes at a cost. It's near everything, a short bus ride to the beach or downtown, a short walk to Golden Gate Park, Haight, restaurants and bars. However, since it is located in the city, the campus is small and chopped up, parking is a huge problem, there were times I'd just opt to get a parking ticket because I'd be driving for 30 minutes in circles. You are required as a Freshman to live on campus, make sure you don't try to get out of it. It's a great way to meet people. USF has a lot of "clicks", so your Freshman year is the time to form your tight friendships without having to join a club or frat. Basically, USF has a great education if you put in the effort, but lacks in social life (compared to other colleges). I wasn't on financial aid, which is the main reason I transfered colleges. USF continued increasing tuition and I had problems with their adminstration staff and my advisor. One would tell me to do one thing and then the other said, no you can't do that...and I'm thinking the whole time...I'M PAYING $55,000 FOR THIS. If you have any other questions send me a direct message. I'm visiting my GF in San Francisco, so I'm not sure how often I'll be checking these forums until I get back to Florida. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Funny Nita, SFO is the airport.

StormingWynn- my former college roommate is from Kansas (we went to school in DC) and she used to work at USF.
It's a cool school and if financial aid is available to you then that'd be GREAT!
Are you in Lawrence now?
No, actually I'm from the Kansas City area. Lawrence is like 30 minutes away or so. That's pretty awesome. Well I hope it works out and I get a somewhat decent financial aid package. I think I will considering my parents EFC is around $1000/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'm a senior in college and I spent my first 2 years at the University of San Francisco. Overall, it's a college you can get a great education. The class sizes were small, so there were a lot of opportunities to ask questions. The college I'm in now has many classes where there are 200 students, so that would not be possible. Exams are also short answer and short essay, which makes it a bit harder for some students, but forces you to understand the material. In the college I'm in now, most exams are 100% multiple choice, most people find them easier, but I don't like them very much because the next day I don't remember anything. Most of the professors have a PHD and seem to know the subject their teaching. However, what I didn't like about USF was the campus atmosphere. It doesn't really have the typical college feel most people think coming out of high school. There is a lack of campus life...most colleges constantly have concerts, an intense rush week, big games, tail gating, campus wide events etc, while USF has some of these, it's on a very small scale compared to most colleges. The location is great, but also comes at a cost. It's near everything, a short bus ride to the beach or downtown, a short walk to Golden Gate Park, Haight, restaurants and bars. However, since it is located in the city, the campus is small and chopped up, parking is a huge problem, there were times I'd just opt to get a parking ticket because I'd be driving for 30 minutes in circles. You are required as a Freshman to live on campus, make sure you don't try to get out of it. It's a great way to meet people. USF has a lot of "clicks", so your Freshman year is the time to form your tight friendships without having to join a club or frat. Basically, USF has a great education if you put in the effort, but lacks in social life (compared to other colleges). I wasn't on financial aid, which is the main reason I transfered colleges. USF continued increasing tuition and I had problems with their adminstration staff and my advisor. One would tell me to do one thing and then the other said, no you can't do that...and I'm thinking the whole time...I'M PAYING $55,000 FOR THIS. If you have any other questions send me a direct message. I'm visiting my GF in San Francisco, so I'm not sure how often I'll be checking these forums until I get back to Florida. Good luck!
I'm not into the whole, college games, etc, sort of things. I hardly ever went to games in HS and in fact I hated sitting there hearing other people scream. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland