Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 35,041 times

Advertisements

I will be using the Richmond train station for a few months to commute back and forth to Fresno. Does anyone know if this is a safe place at 9:30 pm? I will have a ride, but if I have to wait at all, I don't want to be in any danger. I have heard that it is a particularly dangerous area called the Iron Triangle? Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 AM

314 posts, read 933,374 times
I think you will be fine at the station. Now the surrounding areas I dont know.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,445,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California N8tive View Post
I will be using the Richmond train station for a few months to commute back and forth to Fresno. Does anyone know if this is a safe place at 9:30 pm? I will have a ride, but if I have to wait at all, I don't want to be in any danger. I have heard that it is a particularly dangerous area called the Iron Triangle? Anybody know?
I personally would reconsider. If you're just there to transfer between Amtrak and BART really quick and stay near the tracks you'll probably be okay, but after dark there by yourself for any amount of time is asking for trouble in that neighborhood. And I've heard bad things about that station, so please be careful.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,125,789 times
The area around Richmond Bart has gotten better from its Heyday in the 90's, but it is not a place to be hanging around after 6pm.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM

902 posts, read 2,775,730 times
You will be fine at the transit station, but Iron's Triangle is the heart of Richmond's African American community and also the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. Though the worst areas of the triangle are located northwest of there in the areas surrounding pennslyvania avenue and peres elementary school.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:23 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,125,789 times
The iron triangle is more a stigma than a reality. A tell them they are low and they will act low type of thing. Most dangerous part of Richmond is "north richmond".

Old 12-07-2009, 12:45 AM

197 posts, read 665,227 times
It's dangerous but you should be ok. Just don't walk around the area. I've heard from people working at the social security building get robbed walking to BART when it is still daylight out. That building is just a few blocks away. Stay inside of the station until your ride comes and be aware of your surroundings.

A safer option would be to get off at the stop before - El Cerrito Del Norte. This is what most commuters do. The Richmond bound train empties out at El Cerrito Del Norte during commute hours. You might want to get picked up there instead. Yes, it will cost you a BART ticket and it's still not the greatest but it is 1000% better than the Richmond BART station.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 11,893 times
That area/station is definitely "city". If you are a comfortable urbanite - "I can take care of myself" type you will probably be OK late.

If your personna says "Yuppie from the burbs, lost and scared", take a detour or a self-defense class. - The El Cerrito Del Norte is a good suggestion.

Last edited by Gaperina; 12-07-2009 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Good idea above

Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM

902 posts, read 2,775,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
The iron triangle is more a stigma than a reality. A tell them they are low and they will act low type of thing. Most dangerous part of Richmond is "north richmond".
Iron's Triangle is in North Richmond although I am sure some will try to argue that it is central. I have spent a considerable amount of time in the area and know a number of locals and they would all attest to Iron's Triangle being North Richmond. North of the triangle is also North Richmond, but that is an unincorporated area.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 AM

258 posts, read 446,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
You will be fine at the transit station, but Iron's Triangle is the heart of Richmond's African American community and also the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. Though the worst areas of the triangle are located northwest of there in the areas surrounding pennslyvania avenue and peres elementary school.

It is NOT the heart of the AA community. There are also hispanics and Asians that reside there.
How presumtuious and racist of you to insinuate the most dangerous part of the city is where the majority of black people live.
What about the horde of AA's who live in the Richmond Hills above it all..with bay views?

And FYI it is called The Iron Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland