Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,423,156 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am relocating to SF and I am in the process of mapping out a few places to live. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good or bad location?

636 Russia @ Athens (excelsior / outer mission)

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,828,275 times
For most people moving to SF, who have fantasies of living in the iconic city of movies, etc, this would probably be a 'bad location.' It's far out of the city center, populated mostly be locals and it has some city problems. The outer mission is also a great area for some people. Depends on what you're into. If you're just looking for a cheaper house with parking try the outer sunset, like 35th and taraval and thereabouts.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Default Thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
For most people moving to SF, who have fantasies of living in the iconic city of movies, etc, this would probably be a 'bad location.' It's far out of the city center, populated mostly be locals and it has some city problems. The outer mission is also a great area for some people. Depends on what you're into. If you're just looking for a cheaper house with parking try the outer sunset, like 35th and taraval and thereabouts.
I am not moving there for the iconic city of movies etc, I will be working downtown on Masonic Ave. I have a motorcycle and my own washer and dryer. I need a garage and hookups and I can't find anything near what I am looking for. I prefer to live in mill valley or in the peninsula. I really could care less about living downtown...actually prefer not to. I just don't want a long and horrible commute. I think my motorcycle will come in handy if I do choose to have to use the GG Bridge. I have been looking for weeks and very disappointed in what limited living options SF has to offer someone that needs a garage and washer and dryer hookups. Also that would like to have an updated modern kitchen!

I really appreciate the response. I have lived all of my life in the big city of Houston, TX so I am very big city street smart. I just prefer to live where there is beautiful nature and not too far away from my job.

Last edited by TVC15; 12-07-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,104,876 times
Excelsior is a concrete jungle with no greenery. You would hate it. The nearby Crocker Amazon Park is a magnet for drug dealers and addicts from the projects.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,969,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Hi everyone. I am relocating to SF and I am in the process of mapping out a few places to live. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good or bad location?

636 Russia @ Athens (excelsior / outer mission)

Thanks in advance
I'll just say that I personally wouldn't feel relaxed or comfortable (as a woman) walking through the neighborhood at night. It might be different for a certain type of man that wouldn't be intimidated by a group of "not so nice looking" people looking to take advantage of someone that's alone, walking home.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,995,079 times
Not to be a total stickler, but well, I am. Masonic Ave. is not downtown, not by a long shot....geographically it's roughly the center but not downtown...
I don't like the outer Mission area, but I have friends who do, I just feel like it's too far removed from everything.
Laundry in the building isn't good enough eh?
It is hard to find units with washer/dryer hookups in them, that's for sure, but they do exist...I would aim for the Richmond or Sunset neighborhoods where the the possibilities are better for w/d as part of a small WW2 house/flat.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Not to be a total stickler, but well, I am. Masonic Ave. is not downtown, not by a long shot....geographically it's roughly the center but not downtown...
I don't like the outer Mission area, but I have friends who do, I just feel like it's too far removed from everything.
Laundry in the building isn't good enough eh?
It is hard to find units with washer/dryer hookups in them, that's for sure, but they do exist...I would aim for the Richmond or Sunset neighborhoods where the the possibilities are better for w/d as part of a small WW2 house/flat.
I stand corrected...no it is not downtown but it is not a long shot from downtown either. Correct when you own your very own really nice front loader washer and dryer stepping back to the days of having to go out and use shared washers and dryers is not good enough. I will find my place...I just have to look really long and hard but I will find it. I plan on taking temporay housing so I can start my job and take my time to find exactly what I am looking for.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 PM

What I meant by Masonic being a long shot from downtown is that it's pretty much my old 'hood between masonic and divisadero and to me it is a neighborhood not a big building wasteland of offices and the like, like the actual downtown...
Since you've got a motorcycle, are you the kind of rider who finds splitting lanes useful or nuts? Because if you could really live anywhere as long as you can split lanes to get there...but really though, why
the outer Mission?
Where do you live now?

Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Nuts!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Since you've got a motorcycle, are you the kind of rider who finds splitting lanes useful or nuts? Because if you could really live anywhere as long as you can split lanes to get there...but really though, why
the outer Mission?
Where do you live now?
I think it's nuts but under the right circumstances I could see myself doing that (actually I have done that) but I will not make it a habit!

What do you mean by why the outer Mission?

I am currently in Dallas, TX

Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 PM

Well, outer Mission is not the first area that comes to mind for someone looking for a more nature inspired environment. Outer Mission is out of the way of the typical large scale city downtown feel but it's not in the mellow wooded enclave, that's what I mean.
Have you looked into the Twin Peaks or Diamond Heights neighborhoods? They are a bit closer to Masonic for convenience but they are much more wooded less urban/concrete and asphalt feeling, you may have some better luck there.

Oh, and splitting lanes is nuts but in fact legal in Ca....and now I have Bowie's TVC15 song stuck in my head!

Last edited by bellalunatic; 12-07-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland