Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 PM

328 posts, read 306,620 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of spots open late night. North Beach, Tenderloin (Some Good hole in the wall spots), China Town etc... Not sure how you can have this problem in a city well known for food spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times
The OP sounds like a hater to me, just trying to make SF seem bad when in all reality SF is opposite of the way they are describing it.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
The OP sounds like a hater to me, just trying to make SF seem bad when in all reality SF is opposite of the way they are describing it.
I agree. SF's street life is livelier than probably 90% of major American cities (only NYC, Chicago, and Miami have more active street scenes IMO). SF may not be Manhattan, but it is by no means a dead zone. There are always plenty of people out walking the streets (and I'm not just talking about homeless).

Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Definitely, and so is the person who responded with the KFC/Taco Bell suggestion across town. That one comes to this forum to bash SF habitually but only strikes every month or so. Its pathetic really.

I'd offer suggestions to the OP but I already sense an agenda here so I'm not even going to waste my time. How are we supposed to respond rationally to such ludicrous claims? Andronicos - A GROCERY STORE IN THE INNER SUNSET - is open til 11PM, not 6. If this poster had actually tried to find stuff as they've described they would have noticed this. Not to mention Crepevine is open til 11pm most nights and 12am fri and saturday, as well as Pascuales Pizza being open til 12am every night.....I'm just going to stop there since there's no point in responding to anyone who describes SF's neighborhoods as not having a single normal person walking the streets after dark. Dark is at 530pm these days. The heart of the Inner Sunset is around 7th-9th/Irving. So this person is either confused about their geography, blind, or lying. Normal people are out and about all around SF EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. If someone can't see that then there's something wrong with them, not the City.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
NOPA on Divisadero at Grove, is always open later since many line cooks, restaurant staff, chefs etc. go there to eat dinner and hang when they get off work at their restaurants.
Lively bar/restaurant. By no means McDonald's but if you are really into MickeyD's there's one right on Stanyan at Haight, surely you noticed it when you walked over from the Inner Sunset?!
Also, Lower Haight is always busier than upper Haight.
You are right about inner Sunset though, it's pretty sleepy after 10 or so.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I agree. SF's street life is livelier than probably 90% of major American cities (only NYC, Chicago, and Miami have more active street scenes IMO). SF may not be Manhattan, but it is by no means a dead zone. There are always plenty of people out walking the streets (and I'm not just talking about homeless).
How can you not put L.A. in there?? Wayyy more going on in LA than SF.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
How can you not put L.A. in there?? Wayyy more going on in LA than SF.
I was talking specifically in terms of vibrant street life, where people are out walking around from one place to another, since the OP had claimed that in San Francisco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
There is no traffic on the streets, not a single pedestrian anywhere once it gets dark
LA may have more stuff going on overall, but there's much more life on the sidewalks of SF than those of LA. There's really no equivalent to Union Square in LA IMO. You really can't deny that San Francisco has much more of a walking culture than Los Angeles.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
there's something wrong with them, not the City.
Boy the same thing can be said for soooo many other posters on C-D.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
but there's much more life on the sidewalks of SF than those of LA.
> I agree with your statement very 'literally'. There are more people 'living' in the sidewalks of SF than virtually any other city on planet-

Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
That one comes to this forum to bash SF habitually but only strikes every month or so. Its pathetic really.
> Where do you see bashing in here? I am talking simply in terms of convenience of living! Most cities in US have (or at least in Texas where I am from) many restaurants and pretty much all convenience stores like 711 and some grocery stores are open 24/7 and people actually use them.I just said that this does not happen in SF and it is a factually correct statement.

Every SF tourist website claims Haight street to be one of the lively streets with lots of bars/restuarants etc. , which I don't deny. But have you ever walked there after 9 at night? It is dead and scary! Have you seen the streets of SOMA (at least towards mission) after work hours? They are completely dark and empty! Have you ever been to this so called up and coming Mission bayarea ?? That area is dead all day and night!

So I don't know what your definition of lively is! But compared to other major cities, SF does feel sleepy. Well maybe union sqaure and some tourist areas are different, but as a resident you don't go there regularly, do you? Have you ever been to Hollywood or Santa Monica in LA and see how lively those areas are. It's in a completely different league...You can compare to other places only when you get out of the bubble and maybe you should!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland