Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times

Advertisements

Okay this is my second month in the city and I am very confused! Why does everything close so early here? The city is completely dead at 9 PM! There is no traffic on the streets, not a single pedestrian anywhere once it gets dark (except the loonies and homeless). Am I missing something or is there any neighborhood in the city where restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores etc are open after 10? This quiet, non-energetic lifestyle is completely driving me nuts! It feels almost like a wilderness camping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:56 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,532 times
These are some of my favorite restaurants that stay open late:

Osha Thai (Geary and Leavensworth)

Vietnam (Broadway and Columbus)

Naan N Curry (8th and Irving)

There's also many lounges and clubs that stay open late, I never found SF boring until after 2 am.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 AM

258 posts, read 448,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
These are some of my favorite restaurants that stay open late:

Osha Thai (Geary and Leavensworth)

Vietnam (Broadway and Columbus)

Naan N Curry (8th and Irving)

There's also many lounges and clubs that stay open late, I never found SF boring until after 2 am.

Me either. Mostly everything is open late-late.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 AM

258 posts, read 448,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Okay this is my second month in the city and I am very confused! Why does everything close so early here? The city is completely dead at 9 PM! There is no traffic on the streets, not a single pedestrian anywhere once it gets dark (except the loonies and homeless). Am I missing something or is there any neighborhood in the city where restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores etc are open after 10? This quiet, non-energetic lifestyle is completely driving me nuts! It feels almost like a wilderness camping experience.

Sorry, but I just have to ask -- Are you in San Francisco? Or in the suburbs of the city?
SF is anything but boring. I used to work at UCSF and I got off at 10:00 pm. There was plenty of traffic and lots of people meandering about.
You sure you got the right forum??

Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,810 times
Yes I live in the city, in the inner sunset area. I am not talking about bars per se, which are open late everywhere. The grocery stores and I don't mean Safeway, the local ones are open typically from 7AM-6PM. How are you supposed to shop there because thats the working hours for most people! Many restaurants in inner sunset close at 9 and those that stay open are usually empty by 9! None of the bars in this area serve food. So after 10 PM your eating options are really limited. Most cities in the US has fast food chains that are open late or 24/7. SF doesn't have those chains and the local stores don't fill the gap. So my quesiton is are the other neighborhoods different? Because given the high number of restaurants I thought inner sunset is supposed to be a pretty lively area.

Haight street has lots of restaurants and bars. I walked there on a weekday around 9 PM and it pretty much I was the only regular person on the street. The place wasn't lively at all! There is no party scene going there really.

I found some places in TL or mission are open late. But those are not exactly the area where people walk at night. If you can't find parking close to where you are going, you are pretty much putting up your life and property in jeopardy.

So what is the option at night?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
I found North Beach to pretty lively at night. Columbus Ave in particular.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,997 times
I'm pretty sure the Sunset (inner or outer) is most defintitely NOT one of SF's livelier areas. I'd check out the Marina and North Beach and maybe SOMA for lively but safer areas.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:46 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
The Sunset is basically North Daly City. Go east, my child.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
(automaton voice) Must ... get ... up ... every ... day ... at ... dawn ... to ... go jogging / do yoga / etc! (/automaton voice).

Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
This quiet, non-energetic lifestyle is completely driving me nuts! It feels almost like a wilderness camping experience.
Welcome to SF!

Quote:
So after 10 PM your eating options are really limited. Most cities in the US has fast food chains that are open late or 24/7. SF doesn't have those chains and the local stores don't fill the gap.
So what is the option at night?
Try the Taco Bell/KFC at Mission & Silver for quick 10pm dining. They are open until 11 and have a safe parking lot with a security guard. From Inner Sunset it is a very fast drive down O'Shaughnessy at night. The way back is a little confusing if you are not familiar with the one way streets like Rousseau St. The key here is easy and safe parking,there are much better restaurants mostly without guaranteed parking.

Taco Bell / KFC - Excelsior - San Francisco, CA

Driving Directions from 7th Ave & Irving St to 4285 Mission St
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland