Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,294 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to go to school at San Diego State or San Francisco State, and the environment and vibe of the city is really important to me. I'm currently living abroad for a year so I won't get a chance to visit before making my decision, so I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out. I love the beautiful architecture of San Francisco, but I don't like the fact that the campus does not look like much of a campus, but rather a bunch of buildings placed in one area. Besides for doing the virtual tour, I don't know anything else about the school/place. I've heard the people in San Francisco are not the friendliest of the Californians, and that everything is expensive there. Can someone that lives in San Francisco give me some input on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
It's not too far from the beach and is across the street from Lake Merced. So, if you like running, biking, surfing, etc it could be pretty good.

If you like golf it's close to the Lake Merced and Oympic courses.

One oddity (danger?) is it's right next to the Stonestown Mall, and only about 5 minutes from Westlake, so you better have good self control! LOL!

Very convenient to I-280 for heading to the airport / burbs / Santa Cruz Mountains, etc. And yet, there is a Muni Metro stop there as well, for getting around the City without a car.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
Go to San Diego! I went to SF State. It is actually in Daly City, which is just a big fog bank. It is a commuter school. When I went ( a long time ago ) to SF State, the average student age was 27 and there were only 3 dorms. You are quite a ways from the downtown area, definately not walking distance. If I had to do it all over again, I would have definately gone to San Diego State.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySincerely View Post
Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to go to school at San Diego State or San Francisco State, and the environment and vibe of the city is really important to me. I'm currently living abroad for a year so I won't get a chance to visit before making my decision, so I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out. I love the beautiful architecture of San Francisco, but I don't like the fact that the campus does not look like much of a campus, but rather a bunch of buildings placed in one area. Besides for doing the virtual tour, I don't know anything else about the school/place. I've heard the people in San Francisco are not the friendliest of the Californians, and that everything is expensive there. Can someone that lives in San Francisco give me some input on the area?
I attended my first two years of college at USF (University of San Francisco). I had a couple friends who went to SFSU. If you have a choice between SDSU and SFSU, definitely choose SDSU, especially if you want the typical college experience. SFSU is a commuter school with a pretty dead campus. San Francisco is a great city, but SFSU will be a disappointment.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,209 times
The people that have grown up in SF all their life tend to be extremely laid back and nice people. It seems to be that the newer, "yuppies" that have moved from other places are the rude people. I would say you'll have more fun in San Diego, and spend less money.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySincerely View Post
I have to admit, I am a little partial as I went to SDSU. We did live in the bay area for 5 years so know a little about it. Depending on what you are looking for, you might be happier in San Diego. Definately the school will feel more like a college and you will get the college atmosphere more, but living in SAn Francisco offers a little more diversity, if that is what you are seeking. As for the educational experience (actual academia) they are probably equal, depending on your major.

Nita

Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
What can you say about a university whose college town is Parkmerced?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
I don't know if your into sports, but San Francisco State really doesn't have a sports program to mention. I remember it was my last semester and I couldn't find parking, so I had to park in one of the farthest lots. What did I discover...we actually had a football stadium. I had no clue until my last semester. I don't know what type of sports program they have in San Diego, but it couldn't be worse than San Francisco.

Way back when, they only had one little bar on campus to buy drinks. There are no other nearby bars within walking distance. Not that serious students should drink, but who are we kidding!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 AM

199 posts, read 536,617 times
I lived in San Francisco 10 years, but have only visited San Diego over the years.

I would say that San Francisco is a friendly city; although, it could be better. If you do not have a car, no problem in San Francisco; it may be an issue in San Diego. The MUNI system in San Francisco can take you to any part of the city, and it operates all night (on some bus routes). Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) will take you across the bay east into Berkeley, Oakland, Martinez, etc. I'll give you BART's URL. Cal Train is the commuter service to the San Jose area. I spent my first year in San Francisco without a car, I didn't need one. My office was in Berkeley, I took BART to the office. Once I purchased a car, parking became the issue.

As to the cultural mixture you'll find in San Francisco. I speak 8 non-English languages all because of the friends I made in San Francisco. As a teacher, the class announcements sent home were all done in English, Spanish, Arabic, and Mandarin. This was the best side of San Francisco for me. Shopping is adequate near SFSU's campus, the MUNI rail will take you to the Galleria, or Downtown's mall. Bart will take you shopping in San Mateo, it stops at a mall there.

San Diego is friendly enough, and has the San Diego zoo, for which, I'd love to volunteer. Public transport in San Diego is no where near as comprehensive as San Francisco's; only adequate.

I attended SFSU's downtown campus on Market Street and only 2 short courses at the main campus.

Here are the URLs for public transport in San Francisco and San Diego:

San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA, Muni, DPT)

San Francisco Bus and Rail

Bart (SF and surrounding area)

BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit

Cal Train to San Jose

www.caltrain.com/

San Diego Transit Authorities, includes North SD County

Transit.511sd.com

Good luck to you......

Old 12-24-2009, 01:18 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,600 times
SFSU and Cal State East Bay..formerly Cal State Hayward are both schools with
more Older Students...I have to agree with that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland