Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 AM

7 posts, read 32,957 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family has an opportunity in the next year or so to move to the Bary area. I have read many of the posts here on Alameda, and I am really interested. It seems to fit the atmosphere we want, and has decent schools and a good commute situation.

My question is cost. For where it is (on the water) and what it offers (cool vibe, good schools, etc.) why do I find so many 2BD apartments and homes on craigslist that are well under $2000/month? I could say because of the economy, but so many areas in the region are still very expensive. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

jasonellis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM

328 posts, read 306,702 times
It's cheaper because they are older and less modern apartments. But it's not "cheap". You won't find many new, modern apartments for rent in Alameda.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, I intended the word "cheap" in the context of cost. I did not intend it to mean it in the context of quality. If it was taken that way, it wasn't my intent, and I apologize.

That does help answer my question, in regards to cost.... that the lack of more modern apartments may be why it is not as expensive. Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

jasonellis

Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
If you are finding it cheaper than you'd expect, then I think you are very lucky to be getting a great deal in such a great town.

I don't necessarily know the reason as to why-maybe its the economy?

But I prefer Alameda to most of the Bay Area cities whose home prices top $1 Million.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Alameda is a really great town. Good for living and enough commercial business to prevent you having to go across the Estuary if you don't want to.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,876 times
i'm curious about rush hour traffic in the tunnel and on the bridge.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Some people don't like the weather and others love it...

Housing stock does tend to be older... I still see some plexes in converted Victorians that have ceiling heights of less than 7 feet... wouldn't work today, but they are Grandfathered...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Can you (or anyone) give more details on the weather? I would assume it is about the same as San Francisco.... cool and foggy. Is that right?

I know there are lots of micro-climates in the region, so I am not positive that Alameda is like that, and would love to hear from those in the know.

jasonellis

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonellis View Post
Can you (or anyone) give more details on the weather? I would assume it is about the same as San Francisco.... cool and foggy. Is that right?

I know there are lots of micro-climates in the region, so I am not positive that Alameda is like that, and would love to hear from those in the know.

jasonellis

Very mild... almost never scorching even when the East Bay Hills and Inland are.

Not as cool as SF...

I had friends living there... they moved to Walnut Creek for the warm Summer Evenings... they never used the pool in their complex in Alameda and use it all Summer in Walnut Creek.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 PM

308 posts, read 467,235 times
Alameda weather is very similar to Oakland's weather. It's typically a few degrees warmer than SF each day in the fog influenced summer months. The fog breaks a couple hours sooner and comes in a couple hours later than SF. In the summer its typically in the 70's. Occasionally we'll get heat waves that last 2-3 days when the marine layer is pushed out. Then we could climb into the 90's as would SF. Like SF and Oakland, in the winter Alameda is somewhat protected by the bay so the low temps are moderated.

Last August our temperature records were:
Maximum temperature = 99.0 °F on day 28 at time 13:57
Minimum temperature = 54.2 °F on day 15 at time 06:55
This local site has daily history of Alameda weather:
Daily Report

It's not like the east coast with hot summer days and warm nights. You would want to look at the Southbay or far Eastbay for something close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland