Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 38,738 times

Advertisements

What is the Berkeley area like? I visited and the weather was nice compared to another city I am looking at (Chicago). I am looking at business school at Berkeley, but am trying to choose between that and Chicago. Independent of the schools themselves, I am concerned about two things with Berkeley I was hoping people could give me a better opinion about:

1.) Driving and transportation costs. I like driving, but sitting in traffic all the time and dealing with traffic makes me a bit nervous. I don't mind traffic at the normal times, but is it always busy? Is finding parking a total hassle? In terms of public transportation - it seems Bart is the main thing you can use if you want anything reliable/reasonably easy? I am thinking I might be working in or around the silicon valley area, so would that be a total pain?

2.) What are housing costs like? I did some searching and pretty much took it that if I was going to be going to school in Berkeley part-time that I would want to live in Berkeley? All the Craigslist ads I see are for rental sharing, with only a feel places by yourself. Is that pretty much the way it is? I was hoping to get away with my own studio type place for less than $1000. Is that going to be possible?

Looking in general for people's opinion of the living costs and other thoughts of the San Francisco / Bay area vs. Chicago area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
What is the Berkeley area like? I visited and the weather was nice compared to another city I am looking at (Chicago). I am looking at business school at Berkeley, but am trying to choose between that and Chicago. Independent of the schools themselves, I am concerned about two things with Berkeley I was hoping people could give me a better opinion about:

1.) Driving and transportation costs. I like driving, but sitting in traffic all the time and dealing with traffic makes me a bit nervous. I don't mind traffic at the normal times, but is it always busy? Is finding parking a total hassle? In terms of public transportation - it seems Bart is the main thing you can use if you want anything reliable/reasonably easy? I am thinking I might be working in or around the silicon valley area, so would that be a total pain?

2.) What are housing costs like? I did some searching and pretty much took it that if I was going to be going to school in Berkeley part-time that I would want to live in Berkeley? All the Craigslist ads I see are for rental sharing, with only a feel places by yourself. Is that pretty much the way it is? I was hoping to get away with my own studio type place for less than $1000. Is that going to be possible?

Looking in general for people's opinion of the living costs and other thoughts of the San Francisco / Bay area vs. Chicago area.

Thanks!
Welcome to City-Data forum! I just graduated from UC Berkeley undergrad, but I am still living in the city of Berkeley until June to work and be around friends for a little longer! Haas is one of the best business schools in the country, and from what my friends in the schools have said, one of the more laid back campuses (weird considering that Haas' reputation at the UG level is extremely cut-throat)

To answer your questions

1) In order to have park on the street in Berkeley, you need to get a parking permit from the City of Berkeley. However, this only comes out to be $30/year, as opposed to paying for a parking space in a building (usually $50-$75/month). However, street parking is extremely hard to find, depending on how close you are to campus (closer = harder to find). Most of the graduate students live on the north side of campus, as opposed to the inundated south side of campus. There is also family housing available in Albany, with buses frequently taking students to campus (around 15-20 minute bus ride). As a student, you can ride any AC Transit bus for free, which is a plus (all over Alameda and Contra Costa County).
Bay Area traffic isn't that bad to me, but take into account that I'm from LA, so almost ANYTHING is better. However, if you plan to drive into SF, it costs money to cross the bridge and traffic usually sucks there. Driving to Silicon Valley is usually 1-2 hours, depending on the time of day.
BART is extremely reliable, but its somewhat pricey. Unlike most other PT systems, its priced based on where you go, not a flat rate. Worse still, it doesn't go to Silicon Valley. If you absolutely need to work there, consider living half-way, maybe Hayward or San Leandro.

2) When I was looking for apartments last year, finding something less than $1000 by yourself is extremely difficult, if not impossible in the city of Berkeley. There are some in Oakland that offer that, but you still have to get to school somehow. You would most definitely need a roommate if you want rent to be less than $1000 in Berkeley. Landlords love the fact that many students are living there, making their slummy places more overpriced than it needs to be due to demand. Keep in mind that the Bay Area is also one of the most expensive places to live in the country, so COL is going to be at least 10-20% more than it would be in Chicago. That being said, you will save a lot of money on utilities since you don't have to pay for heating/cooling. Depending on how old you are and how much responsibility you have, this may be extremely tolerable or mind-numbingly debilitating. It's up to you to decide

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. And...

GO BEARS!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:43 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,222 times
Quote:

Interesting, when I was looking for a 2BR last month, I saw a lot of 2BR apartments all over Berkeley ranging from $1,200 - $1,700. The higher prices obviously got you larger places in buildings with fewer units. When I look now, I see a decent number of studio and 1BR apts for $850-$975. Maybe these aren't conveniently located for you? When did you look? Vacancies are on the rise and units are staying vacant longer. So you should have some leverage when deciding on a place.

You can find out when the last person moved out of the apartment by contacting the Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board. Landlords must record all move-outs and move-ins and the associated rents with this agency. If you see an apartment has been vacant for more than a month, you've got some serious leverage on your side.

Also, if you are looking at off times (i.e. after students have started classes, November - February winter months), then you'll be in a much better position. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Rents in Berkeley are most likely going to be higher than rents in Chicago for similar apartments. Plan on at least $900 for a studio, although it may be possible to get something cheaper. It does depend on time of year.

The commute from Berkeley to Silicon Valley would be horrible. I would avoid that like the plague. Plan on it being 1 hour--and that's on a good day. In 'normal' rush hour traffic it would easily be 1.5 hours, maybe 2.

However, if you live in Berkeley and work in Berkeley, Oakland, or San Francisco, it's possible to live without a car entirely. I used to live in Berkeley while working 2 jobs in Berkeley and Oakland, and I did fine without having a car. I also worked with others who also didn't have cars.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
However, if you live in Berkeley and work in Berkeley, Oakland, or San Francisco, it's possible to live without a car entirely. I used to live in Berkeley while working 2 jobs in Berkeley and Oakland, and I did fine without having a car. I also worked with others who also didn't have cars.]
I was born and raised in Berkeley. I did not go to school here however after HS so I can only answer this part of the previous post. It's entirely possible to live here without a car. I say here because I'm in Oakland at the moment.

Overall, I think living in Berkeley is well worth it. It's almost entirely residential. Because of that, there isn't much to do within the city but it's not hard to get to other places at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,698 times
Quote:
1) In order to have park on the street in Berkeley, you need to get a parking permit from the City of Berkeley.
Not all neighborhoods in Berkeley require parking permits. The city web site lists the places where you need to have a permit to park for more than 2 hours in the residential zones.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Chicago-land is great...besides the weather. It is way cheaper in all respects. The cost of living is much less expensive. My sister lived in the Gold Coast (prime downtown location) for under $800 a month in a studio. It is a good way to have an urban experience on the cheap.

As another poster mentioned, Berkeley is really residential. When I was a student, people who didn't live in the city of Berkeley moved to El Cerrito or the Lake Merritt area of Oakland. In retrospect, I think transit from those neighborhoods to campus is minimal. The best bet if you live in Oakland is actually to live on the 51 route (bus). The bus goes to campus, and pretty much anywhere you need to be in Oakland or Berkeley. (This bus route is pretty close to all of the nicer neighborhoods in Oakland as well)

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 PM

128 posts, read 141,508 times
After having lived in Berkeley for 3 years my advice is:

Stay in Chicago.

The first poster has the most reliable advice. Studios/1BR Apartments in any decent apartment complex and neighborhood in Berkeley will run you at least $900 a month...$1000 is average. Some places you will have to pay $75-$100 dollars for a parking space on top of the rent as well. Parking on Shattuck is miserable and is metered everywhere.

Homelessness is out of control, and crime is higher there than people advertise or would like to admit to. Especially in the Ashby Ave. area nearer to San Pablo Ave. side.

I hate it there personally, but you might love it, just realize it will not be cheap, and it's overpriced for the poor quality place it actually is in reality.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Do people ever pay attention to the dates that threads are started around here? I'm sure the OP has made their decision by now.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 15,330 times
What about going to Cal and living in a suburb like Walnut Creek or Vallejo? Would that commute be ridiculous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland