Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

Renters are a larger percentage of the population here than in most other metro areas of the US. Plus, the middle class are fleeing the area and the state in general. This is not news, it's been a situation developing for the past 25 years.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay090 View Post
Sorry, I'm guessing 90% of the people in the Bay Area do not go to any of these restaurants and don't go to Napa. Where do you think this is? Most people here can't afford it.

Most people here live in crappy neighborhoods.

We just live in third-world conditions for what we pay for. THAT'S why people are FLEEING the Bay Area in alarming numbers.gl
The folks here will continue to live in la-la land no matter how many 3rd world folks move in, rents and house prices go up, taxes and fees go up, schools and roads suck etc. Thats just the nature of the people in this area. Its the same stubborn liberalism and political correctness and never changes or responds to reality, economy or any other stimuli. They've pretty much shut reality out. The value proposition of the Bay Area is just not like it used to be and they refuse to acknowlege any changes.

In short, they're delusional.

Texas is adding 150,000+ people per year! The fastest growing state in the country and it has a 8.2% unemployment rate compared to Californias dismal 12%. California is actually losing net population even as masses of immigrants move in. The value proposition Texas has is clear and people are ofcourse voting with their feet like always. Many of them from California, including the Bay Area-ites (maybe even some wealthy ex-elites thrown in, escaping the high tax burden).

And contrary to what the elites will say, Texas does have wine-tasting, nice scenery etc. Added to that the COL and you have a no-brainer. But don't tell the obvious to the coastal california elites on this sub-forum. They desire to deny and evade reality as always.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
The folks here will continue to live in la-la land no matter how many 3rd world folks move in, rents and house prices go up, taxes and fees go up, schools and roads suck etc. Thats just the nature of the people in this area. Its the same stubborn liberalism and political correctness and never changes or responds to reality, economy or any other stimuli. They've pretty much shut reality out. The value proposition of the Bay Area is just not like it used to be and they refuse to acknowlege any changes.

Texas is adding 150,000+ people per year! The fastest growing state in the country and it has a 8.2% unemployment rate compared to Californias dismal 12%. California is actually losing net population even as masses of immigrants move in. The value proposition Texas has is clear and people are ofcourse voting with their feet like always. Many of them from California, including the Bay Area-ites (maybe even some wealthy ex-elites thrown in, escaping the high tax burden).

And contrary to what the elites will say, Texas does have wine-tasting, nice scenery etc. Added to that the COL and you have a no-brainer. But don't tell the obvious to the coastal california elites on this sub-forum. They desire to deny and evade reality as always.
Oh yeah, the world famous Texas wineries. I forgot! Please give me names. They do have wine-tasting, but the majority of the wines they serve are from France, Italy, and California. How does the quality and the sheer number compare to California?

I do agree that pretty much every state does have nice scenery, I just have a tough time naming a state that has better scenery or the variety that California has. California has the coastline, beaches, mountains, foothills, desert, farmland, lakes, etc...

I actually like Texas. I would have no issue at all living in Dallas or Austin. They are great cities. I just don't think that California is the horrible place that the people in this thread are making it out to be.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I've been to Dallas and it is a great city. It is hard to believe how much house you can buy there. On the other hand, if you want to go to the beach in Dallas, go wine tasting, go to the Sierras, go to a Redwood Forest, go sailing....you are out of luck.

Dallas has great restaurants, the Bay Area has great restaurants, Dallas has great bars, the Bay Area has great bars, Dallas has the George W. Bush library, the Bay Area doesn't want the George W. Bush library! The Bay Area offers so much more than the Dallas area. That's why people want to live there. Most people live in the Bay Area for what's outside their front door. If all you want is a huge house for a great price move to Dallas.
Exactly. Dallas has to be cheaper or else it would be empty. You get what you pay for.

Oh and Montclair, way to stick to the facts and allow that person to make themselves look retarded

Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
Quote:

Sounds like you have been brain washed by some Texans. I was once as well. Moved to Dallas from Colorado, my home. yeah you get big houses cheap! big houses sitting in 100 degree plus heat 5 months out of the year, scenery? where???? All they do in Texas is eat. Pretty obvious when you see the natives. I could go on and on.... but do what you feel is best. Once you get in, it's kinda hard to get out. you'll see.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
I'm really having to bite my tongue here. I do find it amusing that on the one hand, one complains about the Bay Area being liberal. Then says how much they enjoyed Seattle...if I read that correctly. That's most amusing! Seriously, it sounds like someone has no clue about the west coast overall. Do you know how liberal Seattle is? Seattle is a lot like San Francisco and Berkeley, especially how they were 20 years ago. It's the closest to the BA politically so just stop.

You know, I just got back from the BA myself. I'm glad I'm a native. Very proud of it actually. Everything you claim is complete and total BS. I have no interest in Texas what so ever. So guess what? I don't go to the Texas forums and start spouting off a bunch nonsensical crap about it!

Everytime you say something, you are proven wrong when montclair or anyone puts up facts that you cannot argue with. Therefore you go back to the garbage and keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Show us numbers and facts that support your claim the same way montclair did then perhaps...just maybe...there might be someone who may take you a little more seriously.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, the world famous Texas wineries. I forgot! Please give me names.
Google is your friend. How about a simple search for "texas wineries".

Texas is also the 2nd fastest growing winery destination.

Orbitz - News Releases

Quote:
I do agree that pretty much every state does have nice scenery, I just have a tough time naming a state that has better scenery or the variety that California has. California has the coastline, beaches, mountains, foothills, desert, farmland, lakes, etc...
Texas has all of those things. It even has snow. Its snows in San Antonio every year.

Quote:
I just don't think that California is the horrible place that the people in this thread are making it out to be.
I would'nt describe California as "horrible" but it is undoubtably worsening. It is no longer a pro-growth, pro-business atmosphere that brings prosperity and lower prices. Actually it has'nt been been that in recent memory and is continuing to move in the opposite direction.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
CA is just another coastal blue state that just happens to have a large land area, some nice scenery and some diverse biomes. But without the economic factors, it's just another coastal blue state.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
Quote:
Google is your friend. How about a simple search for "texas wineries".

Texas is also the 2nd fastest growing winery destination.

Orbitz - News Releases

Texas has all of those things. It even has snow. Its snows in San Antonio every year.

I would'nt describe California as "horrible" but it is undoubtably worsening. It is no longer a pro-growth, pro-business atmosphere that brings prosperity and lower prices. Actually it has'nt been been that in recent memory and is continuing to move in the opposite direction.
Your right. I looked and was surprised about the wineries in Texas. California still produces around 90% of all the wine in the United States.

I know it snows in Texas. I'm in Atlanta and we will probably get a couple inches this Thursday. You have to admit that there are more people who come to California for the snow that travel to Texas for it's snow.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM

14 posts, read 49,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm really having to bite my tongue here. I do find it amusing that on the one hand, one complains about the Bay Area being liberal. Then says how much they enjoyed Seattle...if I read that correctly. That's most amusing! Seriously, it sounds like someone has no clue about the west coast overall. Do you know how liberal Seattle is? Seattle is a lot like San Francisco and Berkeley, especially how they were 20 years ago. It's the closest to the BA politically so just stop.

You know, I just got back from the BA myself. I'm glad I'm a native. Very proud of it actually. Everything you claim is complete and total BS. I have no interest in Texas what so ever. So guess what? I don't go to the Texas forums and start spouting off a bunch nonsensical crap about it!

Everytime you say something, you are proven wrong when montclair or anyone puts up facts that you cannot argue with. Therefore you go back to the garbage and keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Show us numbers and facts that support your claim the same way montclair did then perhaps...just maybe...there might be someone who may take you a little more seriously.
HAHA. I'm proven with facts? That the overwhelming majority people in the Bay Area CAN NOT afford the Bay Area? Or afford to OWN a home? Do you think MOST people here rent for fun? No, they rent because the vast majority here can not afford to own a home. Are you really disputing that? That people are FLEEING the area in droves to Texas? Please don't tell me you think otherwise!!!!

I'll say it once again. My companies have offices in SF, DC and Dallas. The equivalent of what I do pays $95,000ish in Dallas..but $120,000 in San Francisco.

My colleagues in Dallas are wealthier than me when you look at the whole pictures. They live better lifestyles. First world lifestyles and socialize with normal non-IT weird zombies from the 3rd world. I technically make more, but pay is adjusted for the cost of living. It doesn't make my colleagues in Dallas "losers" (as someone so eloquently put it)...we do the exact same thing. The difference is - I just mistakenly chose to move to this filthy city and deal with dirty homeless people day in day out and they chose America.

Now I understand what people mean when they say the schools here are dismal. People on this forum have such a hard time grasping this simple cost of living/pay inflation fact! I would never have kids here..yikes.

My colleagues in Dallas live in nice homes, drive nice cars, and I'm living in the third world surrounded by nothing with immigrants from India who don't assimilate.

Its hilarious how the loons here think everyone in the Bay lives on the coastline, goes to napa and takes advantage of the scenic parts of the city when most people here are provincial and stay within their comfort zone and have NEVER gone wine tasting in their life. You guys crack me up.

Then I was recommended Oakland but...yikes! Talk about terrible!gl

Last edited by bay090; 01-04-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland