Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,451,418 times
Reputation: 9059

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay090 View Post
HAHA. I'm proven with facts? That the overwhelming majority people in the Bay Area CAN NOT afford the Bay Area? Or afford to OWN a home? Do you think MOST people here rent for fun? No, they rent because the vast majority here can not afford to own a home. Are you really disputing that? That people are FLEEING the area in droves to Texas? Please don't tell me you think otherwise!!!!

I'll say it once again. My companies have offices in SF, DC and Dallas. The equivalent of what I do pays $95,000ish in Dallas..but $120,000 in San Francisco.

My colleagues in Dallas are wealthier than me when you look at the whole. They live better lifestyles. First world lifestyles. Pay is adjusted for the cost of living here which is why I technically make more but, it doesn't make my colleagues in Dallas "losers"...we do the exact same thing. I just mistakenly chose to move to this filthy city and deal with dirty homeless people day in day out.

Now I understand what people mean when they say the schools here are dismal. People on this forum have such a hard time grasping this simple cost of living/pay inflation fact! I would never have kids here..yikes.

My colleagues in Dallas live in nice homes, drive nice cars, and I'm living in the third world surrounded by nothing with immigrants from India who don't assimilate.

Its hilarious how the loons here think everyone in the Bay lives on the coastline, goes to napa and takes advantage of the scenic parts of the city when most people here are provincial and stay within their comfort zone and have NEVER gone wine tasting in their life. You guys crack me up.

I was recommended Oakland but...yikes! Talk about terrible!gl
Another humorous thing is your timing. You picked the middle of a deep recession to talk about people leaving the Bay Area. Despite this, I know a few people who have moved to the BA and purchased homes. Before you say something like, "that's just a few examples" let me give a preemptive DUH! I don't know everyone in the country lol. Nonetheless if what you are saying is correct then most of the Bay Area today would be like parts of Detroit, completely deserted. I can tell you as I'm sure others will that this is very very much not the case.

 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
 
14 posts, read 49,928 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Another humorous thing is your timing. You picked the middle of a deep recession to talk about people leaving the Bay Area. Despite this, I know a few people who have moved to the BA and purchased homes. Before you say something like, "that's just a few examples" let me give a preemptive DUH! I don't know everyone in the country lol. Nonetheless if what you are saying is correct then most of the Bay Area today would be like parts of Detroit, completely deserted. I can tell you as I'm sure others will that this is very very much not the case.
Detroit?

If you look at the demographic changes and who's moving in and fleeing, it will soon resemble New Delhi.

Not only racially, but the third-world structure. A tiny wealthy class and a majority poor/"middle class" ("middle-class" to them, but to most Americans....third world lifestyle)

the bay is one silicon valley bust away from that. This bankrupt state will worsen it.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,468,383 times
Reputation: 8956
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay090 View Post
Detroit?

If you look at the demographic changes and who's moving in and fleeing, it will soon resemble New Delhi.

Not only racially, but the third-world structure. A tiny wealthy class and a majority poor/"middle class" ("middle-class" to them, but to most Americans....third world lifestyle)

the bay is one silicon valley bust away from that. This bankrupt state will worsen it.

I really am sorry to hear you are so miserable and disgusted with SF! I am a fellow Texan. I grew up in Houston (44 years) but currently live in Dallas(less then 1 year). I am worried to hear you say these things. I am about to relocate there for a job making less then what you make. I found a really nice remodeled duplex to rent in the Peninsula. I wanted to live in Mill Valley but decided to go with lower rent. I know I can enjoy all that SF has to offers. I plan on riding my motorcycle all around Napa and to the Sierras, Redwood Forest and along the coast. I plan on seeing and doing as much as I can see with my free time. There is so much to see and do and experience. I am very surprised to hear that you are so bitter there. Please don't make Texans look bad. Don't hate while you are there...yes it is obviously a sticker shock for you but don't hate and try to predict doom and gloom I am assuming here but I am not sure why you went there without first doing your research and learning about SF and it's cost of living and state income tax. If it is not for you why spew hate. I did not see filth...but those sea lions really smelled . I have been there several times and I see the good, bad, ugly and beautiful. I choose to associate with the good and beautiful places. I hope you find a way to move back to Dallas!

Last edited by TVC15; 01-04-2010 at 10:09 PM..
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,451,418 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay090 View Post
Detroit?

If you look at the demographic changes and who's moving in and fleeing, it will soon resemble New Delhi.

Not only racially, but the third-world structure. A tiny wealthy class and a majority poor/"middle class" ("middle-class" to them, but to most Americans....third world lifestyle)

the bay is one silicon valley bust away from that. This bankrupt state will worsen it.
Wow, you really know nothing at all about the Bay Area do you? Let me see if I understand you correctly; One the one hand, the Bay Area is too expensive to live in. But on the other hand, everyone is living a third world lifestyle??? WTF? LOL I get the feeling that you are simply not able to make it in the BA so, it must be the Bay Area's fault as far as you're concerned. Some of the highest income communities are located in the BA so I cannot understand what you're calling third world? You make the BA sound like Mississippi or something LOL.

Also when I mentioned Detroit, you missed my point entirely, doesn't surprise me but you missed it. What I was referring to was the fact that you said the BA is emptying out. That people are leaving in droves. This can't be. If that were the case, there would be whole neighborhoods with nothing but deserted houses and business. Not just one or two here and there, but entire deserted communities. That is what happened in Detroit. Is this clear now?
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
 
14 posts, read 49,928 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Wow, you really know nothing at all about the Bay Area do you? Let me see if I understand you correctly; One the one hand, the Bay Area is too expensive to live in. But on the other hand, everyone is living a third world lifestyle??? WTF? LOL I get the feeling that you are simply not able to make it in the BA so, it must be the Bay Area's fault as far as you're concerned. Some of the highest income communities are located in the BA so I cannot understand what you're calling third world? You make the BA sound like Mississippi or something LOL.

Also when I mentioned Detroit, you missed my point entirely, doesn't surprise me but you missed it. What I was referring to was the fact that you said the BA is emptying out. That people are leaving in droves. This can't be. If that were the case, there would be whole neighborhoods with nothing but deserted houses and business. Not just one or two here and there, but entire deserted communities. That is what happened in Detroit. Is this clear now?
Bay Area is too expensive for the vast majority of people who live here. High income communities? Mexico City has lots of high income communities too. So?

Not make it? hah, I make more than what most people make in the San Francisco, so no.

Let me make it clear. To those in the middle class, i.e. the vast majority of the people who live here, our standards of living are far below that of the cities people are fleeing here for.

If you are very wealthy, ANYWHERE is inhabitable. Rich people can live great lives anywhere...even Baghdad. It's like Moscow, a few rich and a very large poor population. But truly wealthy people are a very tiny minority of the people who live here. This was never about rich people, this is about the AVERAGE person as in, the majority of people who live here. Read the title of the thread.

The average person here lives lousy compared to other cities in the US. That's why everyone is running for the hills aka places in the south! Many people I know want out too, but this is a very transient city too so most leave quickly regardless.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,451,418 times
Reputation: 9059
Nope wrong again man. My family is quite average and so are all of our friends and they live pretty good lives. Try again lol
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,159,930 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Wow, you really know nothing at all about the Bay Area do you? Let me see if I understand you correctly; One the one hand, the Bay Area is too expensive to live in. But on the other hand, everyone is living a third world lifestyle??? WTF? LOL I get the feeling that you are simply not able to make it in the BA so, it must be the Bay Area's fault as far as you're concerned. Some of the highest income communities are located in the BA so I cannot understand what you're calling third world? You make the BA sound like Mississippi or something LOL.
Its a third world lifestyle because of class stratification, bad roads, bums, un-assimiliated immigrants, bad schools etc. Even normal activities such as driving are cost prohibitive because of high gas prices. Therefore people with his level of income (100k +) might feel a little poorer and like they got the short end of the deal.

What about those facts don't you seem to get lowers the overall quality of living and makes it comparable to the third world? Not saying its actually third world, but the services you are getting for the cost makes it comparable. Just because the bay area has a few wealthy communities and overall higher pay does'nt mean anything. There are wealthy places everywhere and it does'nt mean anything to the average joe trying to make a living whether a place is wealthy or not.
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,159,930 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Nope wrong again man. My family is quite average and so are all of our friends and they live pretty good lives. Try again lol
I call BS. Your just trying to be contrarian for the sake of argument because you are inherently pro-bay area. Besides there's no way to verify your statement so its pointless anecdotal stuff.

Come up with stats that say that the Bay Area is livable and affordable for the vast majority of middle to lower middle class folk (probably impossible, but try).
 
Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,451,418 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I call BS. Your just trying to be contrarian for the sake of argument because you are inherently pro-bay area. Besides there's no way to verify your statement so its pointless anecdotal stuff.

Come up with stats that say that the Bay Area is livable and affordable for the vast majority of middle to lower middle class folk (probably impossible, but try).
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black. Yes I, like the others believe you and bay090 or whatever are the same person. Yes I am pro Bay Area, got a problem with that? Again DUH! If I wasn't pro Bay Area I would not be defending it. Where are the stats to back up all these people leaving the Bay Area? Again if you...oops...I mean one of you (LMAO) put up stats the way stats were put up to prove otherwise, then I will take you...err...you two more seriously.
 
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,159,930 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black. Yes I, like the others believe you and bay090 or whatever are the same person. Yes I am pro Bay Area, got a problem with that? Again DUH! If I wasn't pro Bay Area I would not be defending it. Where are the stats to back up all these people leaving the Bay Area? Again if you...oops...I mean one of you (LMAO) put up stats the way stats were put up to prove otherwise, then I will take you...err...you two more seriously.
LOL The Bay Area more discontents and unhappy campers than you think. I'm not related in any way to that guy. He posted on whatever was on his mind. It so happens to mirror much of what I've been saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top