Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay090 View Post
I don't understand. How do people afford this third world ovepriced region? don't even get me started on the taxes and the bankrupt state.

The VAST majority of people here do not make even $100,000..or enough to afford to buy. Is everyone a renter for life? Am I destined to live in a ghetto neighborhood? (ghetto by normal American non third-world standards?)

Why should a middle-class live in this dump as opposed to Vegas or Houston or Dallas? Why!!!?

Now we see why everyone is fleeing out of this city. Do normal americans even move to bay area? No. American outflow from the bay area into normal regions of the country is much larger than the inflow. Everyone moving is some poor person from the third world. Now we see why the state is bankrupt. What happened to this city I used to love???
Oh come on, the bay area has always been pricey compared to other areas in the state and the country, but many are willing to pay the price.

You are right, the average person can't afford to live in "the city by the bay" but I think you are slightly over-reacting.

People are leaving Ca for other states, mainly because of the economy there. That is sad...Let's hope things return to the days gone by, but I don't think this will happen anytime in the near future...

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually many families do.

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA
Total Families 1,671,412
Families Earning $100,000+ Annually 782,060

46.7% of all families in the SF Bay Area make more than $100K a year.

The idea is to upgrade-not downgrade.

Right. Exceptional Americans move to the Bay Area.

Losers move to the places you mentioned-ick.
Though your stats might be right about the income of people living in the bay area I think the statement about losers is a little over the line, don't you?

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
If you make 120K you should be able to live just fine in the Bay Area. If you are unhappy then you need to re-evaluate your choices. When I lived in the Bay Area I was making the same money, albeit quite a few years ago, I chose to live in a condo in the East Bay. I drove a 5 series BMW and had a 29ft express cruiser docked in Emeryville. I did go to Napa, Monterey, and Lake Tahoe quite a few times.

I could have decided to live in a expensive part of San Francisco in a rented apartment and had no excess money to do other things. It's all about choices.

Don't slam the Bay Area because you make bad decisions. If you chose to live closer to your work just to have a short commute that's your choice.

Take a drive out to Ft. Funston to check out the handgliders - free. Take a drive down Highway One - free. Enjoying the view from the Marin Headlands - bridge toll. Drive up to the top of Mt. Diablo - bridge toll, park fee.

If you add up all the time that you spend on threads slamming the Bay Area, I'll bet you could actually find fun things to do that don't cost a lot of money. It's all up to you!
+1

Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I can't believe someone has that much hatred for one city. Seriously if you are that unhappy then move somewhere else. If you think Dallas is that much better move there. Have fun in Texas! Wineries need grapes to make wine. Grapes come from vineyards, not wineries. How many good vineyards are there in Texas?

Sure SF is expensive but so is most metropolitan cities. You're probably just upset because you can't afford to buy that Range Rover you always dreamed or the large 5 bedroom house on a few acres of land. Who needs that crap anyway? Live within your means and i'm sure you will be happy!
another +1

Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I've been to Dallas and it is a great city. It is hard to believe how much house you can buy there. On the other hand, if you want to go to the beach in Dallas, go wine tasting, go to the Sierras, go to a Redwood Forest, go sailing....you are out of luck.

Dallas has great restaurants, the Bay Area has great restaurants, Dallas has great bars, the Bay Area has great bars, Dallas has the George W. Bush library, the Bay Area doesn't want the George W. Bush library! The Bay Area offers so much more than the Dallas area. That's why people want to live there. Most people live in the Bay Area for what's outside their front door. If all you want is a huge house for a great price move to Dallas.
I take exception to the sailing part, now if you are talking about sailing on the Ocean Blue, yep, that can't be done. I will add, do you have any idea how many people are moving to Texas yearly, and many are from Ca (they are not losers either, like Montclair said. As for the OP, he/she might be a troll, I didn't even think about that. I am more concerned about the attitude of people like Montclair.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
I would imagine that many of the people that are moving out of state are the baby boomers that are retiring. Over the years they have made a lot of money on their homes and are cashing in and moving to less expensive areas. Except for the last few years, homeowners in the Bay Area have made a lot of money on their homes. There are many people that have $150k mortgages living in $800k+ homes because of appreciation. Like many other investments, time and patience pays off.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
By the way, if you take your nice big California dollars and go back to Texas to buy a nice big house, guess what - you're just going to do to Texas what your opportunistic kind already did to California. Unlike you, I don't live here because I'm in the business of raping and pillaging a region and its helpless residents, driving their tax rates insane and then taking the money elsewhere to benefit someone else's economy. I live here because I grew up here. I'm one of the new generation of Californians who has to deal with the crap that every person with a bachelor's degree and dollar signs in their eyes dumped on this state over the past 20 years. You have nothing to blame but your own selfish mentality for the condition this place is in.
I'm really liking the last few post. Where were you guys last night? LOL

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I take exception to the sailing part, now if you are talking about sailing on the Ocean Blue, yep, that can't be done. I will add, do you have any idea how many people are moving to Texas yearly, and many are from Ca (they are not losers either, like Montclair said. As for the OP, he/she might be a troll, I didn't even think about that. I am more concerned about the attitude of people like Montclair.

Nita
Sailing in the Bay is known as one of the best places in the world to sail. The wind comes in around 1 pm or so and it just screams through the Golden Gate. That is why you sometimes see Americas Cup boats practicing in the Bay. There is nothing like sailing with San Francisco in the background or underneath the Golden Gate or the Bay Bridge. I used to belong to a sailing club and have done these things many times. I've never sailed in Texas and I'm sure it has its high points. I was more referring to Dallas as opposed to sailing the Gulf.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I like places like Dallas and Austin. I would definately move there if the right opportunity presents itself. There would be many aspects of the Bay Area that I would miss though.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If I could deal with food that tastes like paper and weather that feels like HELL and natural surroundings that are drab, then perhaps I might also consider moving to such a place.

Then quite bit*hing and get a 2nd job.

I can't wait for you to leave either. There are a few Indian Programmers who would love to take your place.
Food that tastes like paper? I would guess you haven't eaten in too many places in the Dallas or Austin area have you?
Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
compared to other cities it does cost more to live an upscale lifestyle in the bay area.if the OP thought he would be living "le dolce vida" in san francisco on $120,000/yr i am sorry he did not do more research before relocating.

that said the bay area has a lot of things going for it to help ease the sting of the high cost of living.great sailing weather,access to winter sports in tahoe,great restaurants,world class symphony ,plays,ballet,musuems ,very tolerant and diverse.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland