Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,004,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It is very easy to live minimally in the Bay. If you are single and cannot make it by on 120k a year then you are overspending IMO. I know entire families 2adults/3kids who live on less than that here ..yes they are very happy going to the beach in December . They rent a house, kids in public schools (no not a 10 OMG), and cars are paid off... totally doable.

No it is not high class luxury living, but the average person doesn't really NEED luxury.

The "average person" in the Bay is a little different though, first off they probably rent, they more than likely buy groceries and cook vs going out for Sushi every night (like NYC). They probably enjoy the outdoors, which are basically free or low cost. They probably don't have a 3000sq ft house to heat/cool and maintain.

If buying a house is a such a big deal for you, then yes you will have to save a lot or move inland it is just a fact of life. However, to rent on 120k you should be able to live anywhere IMO.
This would be my family.. only we have 4 kids!

No car payments, no designer wear..luxury anything, we do eat out maybe once a week, kids in public schools, AND we own a home now (after yes, moving inland for a while and sold at the peak). It's called being smart and investing wisely and not racking up debt (and also a lot of luck). We know that accumulating stuff doesn't make people happy.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

631 posts, read 1,577,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I do agree that pretty much every state does have nice scenery, I just have a tough time naming a state that has better scenery or the variety that California has. California has the coastline, beaches, mountains, foothills, desert, farmland, lakes, etc...
How about Colorado? Minus the coastline/beaches Colorado has everything you listed and more. More being less pollution, less overcrowded cities, less deterioration of natural scenery, less population...the list goes on.

Or perhaps Maine, Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington State and Oregon?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,453,774 times
Quote:
I would imagine that many of the people that are moving out of state are the baby boomers that are retiring. Over the years they have made a lot of money on their homes and are cashing in and moving to less expensive areas. Except for the last few years, homeowners in the Bay Area have made a lot of money on their homes. There are many people that have $150k mortgages living in $800k+ homes because of appreciation. Like many other investments, time and patience pays off.
Actually, most of them are native born, middle income people with kids. Therefore, we're generally talking people born after the early 1960s. Not Boomers.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,453,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Food that tastes like paper? I would guess you haven't eaten in too many places in the Dallas or Austin area have you?
Nita
While admittedly, some of the small to medium sized cities in the "Great Flyover" may not have Nepalese or Indonesian restaurants, the larger cities are fairly replete with most types of ethnic food. When you up the ante to places like Dallas, Houston or Atlanta, pretty much anything you can find here also exists there.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
One great thing about Texas is the pride that Texans have in their home state. Don't fault Californians when they take some pride in their home state!
Pride is one thing, false pride and arrogance is quite another. I was born and raised in Ca, I think there are still a lot of positive things about the state but this goes for every state. Texas has a lot to offer, not for me, but for many, so does the east coast and beleive it or not NWA as well.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
How about Colorado? Minus the coastline/beaches Colorado has everything you listed and more. More being less pollution, less overcrowded cities, less deterioration of natural scenery, less population...the list goes on.

Or perhaps Maine, Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington State and Oregon?
Yep, there are a lot of state that are truely beautiful. One is Penn which most do not even think about. AR is another state of beauty, that is why it is called the natural state. I do love the wonders of Ca, but I also see the wonders in many states.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
While admittedly, some of the small to medium sized cities in the "Great Flyover" may not have Nepalese or Indonesian restaurants, the larger cities are fairly replete with most types of ethnic food. When you up the ante to places like Dallas, Houston or Atlanta, pretty much anything you can find here also exists there.
oh, I agree with you, I was questioning Montclairs comment about food in Texas tasting like paper. We lived in Dallas for 13 years (or in the burbs) our daughter is still there. If one wants to spend the bucks every type of food is available and it is as good as anywhere in the world. We have been lucky enough to travel out of the country many times as well as cruising about 30 times. Though we do not eat out often, we do like quality and many places other than the bay area offer qualtity dining.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,410,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pride is one thing, false pride and arrogance is quite another. I was born and raised in Ca, I think there are still a lot of positive things about the state but this goes for every state. Texas has a lot to offer, not for me, but for many, so does the east coast and beleive it or not NWA as well.

Nita
I lived in Boston for a few years and now I live in Atlanta. What's so great about this country is that we are so rich in our lands. I've been able to travel all over this country and I'm amazed at how great it is.

I really think that I could be happy if I lived just about anywhere, but you can't make Texas into California or California into Texas. You have to enjoy where you are for what it is and make the most out of it.

I was born and raised in California and miss it a lot. If I just sit around Atlanta and complain that it's not California, I would just be cheating myself. Atlanta is a great place!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,410,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post

I've been able to spend time in each of these states and they are all beautiful! Colorado is a stunning state. I've even had a couple beers at the top of Pikes Peak. The altitude really can make two beers feel like a whole six pack!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,253,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I've been to the 3rd world (Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Mexico) and ummm, now you're the one doing the exaggerating.

It's true the 3rd World has much worse slums than we have in the US (especially in Brazil). That said, middle & upper middle class people from any 3rd World country would most definitely not be willing to live in East Oakland.
You're acting like Oakland is purgatory or something. If my gay elementary school teacher friend could handle East Oakland back when it was even worse than it is now, than i think your average 3rd world slum dweller will have no problem. East Oakland encompasses some pretty nice areas as well as the bad, and no bad areas in the Bay (or most of the US for that matter) will compare to your average 3rd world slum anyways (in terms of appearance and amenities the US is much better mostly than any 3rd world slum...in terms of crime, i'd say there are plenty of mexican, south american, central american, and african slums that are much worse than anything in the US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland