U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM

18 posts, read 33,221 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Chicago, and will be working in Dublin but really really want to live in the city if at all possible. I know the traffic is terrible, especially crossing the bay bridge but I will be going against traffic and once I am over it it shouldn't be too bad, right? Also, would the bart be a better idea for commuting? If so, what are some good areas to try to live in. Someone native to the area told me soma/southbeach area has no bart and is not the safest place and she recommended noe valley. The two main things would be to live within walking distance to a bart station and to have a reserved parking space (I am willing to pay extra for this). My price range for rent would be nothing more than 1200/month. I am 23yrs old and am very much into the social/nightlife scene so being around that would be a huge plus. Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM

3,703 posts, read 14,073,754 times
$1200/month?? That will get you a studio, off-street parking will be extra. If you must live in SF along the BART line, check out the areas around the Glen Park and Balboa Park BART stations.

Frankly, I think you would be better off living in/near Dublin (a little cheaper) and going to SF at night or on the weekends.

You mentioned SOMA/Southbeach - there is light rail in this area to the BART stations in downtown SF.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM

I am ok with living with 1 or 2 roommates..so $1200/month is completely feasible looking on craigslist and such. Are those areas you mentioned safe? For some reason..the person I talked to who was from san fran kept bringing up how there are lots of areas I wouldn't want to be in for safety reasons..

Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 PM

The places like Glen Park and Noe Valley...how far are they from downtown san francisco where all the nightlife is? Is it a simple cab ride away or is it a bit more to get there? I really want the feel of living in a big city and not a suburb where I have been all my life.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Since you mentioned South Beach/Mission Bay, go for that if you can afford it. The area is reasonably safe and much of everything in the area is new because of redevelopement. Lots to do in the area and there is a light rail that can take you to other parts of downtown SF (and BART stations) or even out to the beach. AT&T Park is in the area if you like Giants baseball. South Beach / Mission Bay

Glen Park is also reasonably safe. Avoid the Tenderloin, Western Addition, Bayview-Hunters Point among other places.

Last edited by humboldtrat; 01-07-2010 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 PM

There are few places to live along the BART line in downtown SF. This area is mostly office buildings, hotels and commercial/retail. So you can skip the area between the Embarcadero station and Civic Center station. BART - Station List. The neighborhoods around the BART station in the western part of the city are reasonably safe to live in.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:00 PM

802 posts, read 2,182,196 times
Given your parameters (living a couple blocks from BART, $1200 budget for rent, safe neighborhood, nightclubs/bar close by), you may need to make some compromises. Assuming that you want to stay close to BART (you don't want to drive to Dublin on a daily basis unless you enjoy sitting in a car for 2+ hours a day), probably the best areas for nightlife are probably around the 16th and the 24th Street stations in the Mission. Of course, the Mission is a bit grittier (and less safe) than the other neighborhoods that you mention, but I would guess that you should not have any issues finding a roommate situation for $1200/month.

Alternatively, if you don't mind taking light rail to BART, you should consider humboldtrat's suggestion to check out South Beach/Mission Bay, which is just a short ride to the Embarcadero BART station. It's a safe area with lot of things to do. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive over there. I would guess that a single parking spot will set up back around $200+/month on average. You would certainly need to find a roommate if you are budgeting $1200 and might even have trouble finding a decent 2BR unit for twice that much.

As for the other BART stops in the City, Glen Park and Balboa Park are both more residential neighborhood and probably quieter than you might want. The Civic Center station is in a crummy neighborhood. The Powell and Montgomery stations are in the Downtown area and are really stops for people commuting to work.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

ok wow thanks a lot guys your info is extremely helpful. When you say 'a short rail to the bart' what do you mean exactly? How long of a travel time is that? Also, how is the financial district area?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,126,649 times
You would also need to factor in the $4 daily bridge toll. If you work 20 days a month that would be an additional $80 plus gas and parking. BART is a great system, but the tickets can really add up. The roundtrip fee between Dublin/Pleasanton to Montgomery Street (SF) in $11.10 per day.

With your budget I would definately live closer to your work and go into the city for fun.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM

They only have daily rates? They dont have any long term discounted passes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>