Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 26,667 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the commute is (best and worst case scenario) from Foster City to Half Moon Bay?
My husband will be interviewing for a position located in Foster City, and being from Boulder, we are SO used to having open space all around us, that I'm thinking the coast would provide a similar to what we're looking for.
We have kids who will be in 6th & 7th grade, so we're looking for that "small town feel" (isn't everyone??).
Thank you and all suggestions welcome! We're looking to rent before we jump into the housing market, and our budget is about $4500 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
So, you're not asking about a (reverse) Foster City to HMB commute but the other way around.

Just FYI, if you click on edit on your original post and then click "Advanced" you can correct the title of the thread.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
Going over 92 the traffic can really back up. You would be driving over a ridge of mountains. The distance is going to be around 22 miles or so depending where you and work.

I would definately look into it. Half Moon Bay is a beautiful area and the drive is actually quite nice. If you visit the Half Moon Bay area check out Moss Beach Distillery!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Archan is right. Much of Hwy 92 is a 2 lane mountain road (windy in places) that sometimes backs up. Otherwise, I say go for it. Half Moon Bay and the coastal areas get a lot of fog and wind. It's much warmer and sunny inland - around Foster City and the towns along the peninsula.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
92 backs up at times you wouldn't expect.. like right before Halloween and Thanksgiving when everyone is going to get pumpkins, or on any really hot days.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
The Pumpkin Festival in Half Moon Bay is really fun, but your right the traffic to get there is not great.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM

166 posts, read 489,936 times
half moon bay is great, but i'd not overlook foster city itself. hmb was our top choice before moving out that way, but after staying in fc a month in temp housing we chose to live there instead.

LOTS of parks, the bay trail, lagoons throughout the city, a great middle school, much better weather, central to the entire bay area, and has a 'small town' feel also. we loved half moon bay, but never regretted choosing foster city. my ex's girls were the same age as your kids, and that played a big part in our decision.

beyond all that...on a good day with no issues it's about a 30 minute drive from hmb to fc. it is two-lane much of the way though, and i've had it take an hour or so on rare occasions.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 26,667 times
Thank you so much, everyone, for the input. My husband is flying out on Monday to interview, so we'll see what happens.
We've been looking at the entire area and can't get over the housing costs (we're in Boulder, CO now) - so thinking of renting in the $4,000-5,000 range until we learn the area.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,182 times
Leaving HMB at 10:30am, I can arrive in Foster City by 10:50. Same for the return trip around 8 or 9pm. If leaving HMB earlier than 10am, there would be more traffic and the trip could take you more like 45 minutes. Leaving Foster City for Half Moon Bay anywhere between 4:30 and 6:30pm would give you the same time, about 45 minutes.

Starting the first few days of October and going through December until Christmas, hwy 92 to and from Half Moon Bay is horrible, especially on weekends. Right as Pumpkin season ends, x-mas trees begin...both grown right along the highway with poor traffic control in and out of the farms.

Weekend summer days into HMB = horrible. Weekend summer evenings (after sunset) out of HMB = horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland