Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

We're your on top, everyone wants a piece of you.

That's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 AM

258 posts, read 448,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We're your on top, everyone wants a piece of you.

That's life.

Touche

Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
There are a myriad of reasons why lots of folks (including myself) "bash" (in your words) the Bay Area. Moreover this forum is a place to vent and express our feelings.

For one, some of the most annoying, hypocritical personality types seem to live here and just a alot of different things. It would take a whole thread going over those things.
But it's really such a waste of time/energy.

So you hate San Francisco/it's residents...what do you expect anyone on a message board to do about it? Are you looking for a couple of like minded people to pat you on the back for your observations?

It's always very strange to me that the "bashers", whiners, and complainers (especially the ones that always show up) seem like people that you really wouldn't get to know or befriend in real life..It's creepy and sad to obsess about how much you hate a city...just move and be done with it and live life to your fullest where you think you'll be happiest.

I'll add that most people that found this forum are looking for helpful info on moving to another place...especially the state forums. How are your posts helpful in any way?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
I think that when people live in an area, they will adopt a I'll do it later attitude. Should I go to Napa? No, I'm kind of tired, I'll do it next weekend. That's why a lot of tourists will do many more things while on vacation than the locals will ever do. I think that many of the bashers of San Francisco are surrounded by so many great things but never take advantage of them. The people that are happy in the Bay Area are the ones that get out and enjoy it like they are on vacation.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area and now live across the country. I really miss the simple things like driving up to Lake Tahoe or a drive down Highway One. Many times I would to and from Lake Tahoe in the same day just for the sheer enjoyment and beauty of the drive. I think that the Bay Area has about the most options of things to do of any area in the country. Don't whine about the area, take advantage of it.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
But it's really such a waste of time/energy.

So you hate San Francisco/it's residents...what do you expect anyone on a message board to do about it? Are you looking for a couple of like minded people to pat you on the back for your observations?
Not really. I come on here like everyone else and just state my opinion. I obvious think its the proper use of my own time just as you think posting here is the proper use of your time. Just because you disagree with me does'nt make my comment a "waste of time" lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

I'll add that most people that found this forum are looking for helpful info on moving to another place...especially the state forums. How are your posts helpful in any way?
Helpful in helping other people see the other side of the Bay Area. It helps them to make a more rounded decision.

Most people don't like bad roads, bad schools, high prices, eco freaks etc. so upon hearing that it might cause some folks to cahnge their minds to spare themselves a headache and an empty wallet.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
People on this particular forum tend to be minimum wage workers who never tried hard enough in school
> Maybe they don't like the fact that people like you constantly telling them that you are so much better because you make more money and live in the bay area. Maybe they are also from parts of country where family, society, religion matter more than the constant money-chasing rat race that bay area is. BTW, I like the money-chasing rat race-

Old 01-09-2010, 03:06 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
All the worst posters who give a truly negative face to the online forum are trolls. Sometimes you have to do a little digging to figure out who's trolling and who isn't, but if we'd use the golden standard of not engaging the darn trolls and getting into fights with them, they'd go away. I've never figured out why people don't get it.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
CD 80/20 rule.

80% of the people who take the time to come on this forum and post, have done so because something made them angry.

20% actually say something positive (usually in reactionary mode to the 80%).

Trolls to me are still upset people, they are just demented, confused, bored and angry.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 97,878 times
I think it's funny that those who "bash" the Bay Area feel the "offended" are overly sensitive. That's actually very comical. I was also bemused to read one person say that since the Bay Area folks are not educated that is why we can't take "objective criticism." See, I am educated and the reason I get aggravated with the CONSTANT negative comments is because they often don't come with a balanced argument. I have said before on this thread and I'll say it again.... the Bay Area has its flaws. EVERY region has its flaws. Whether or not those flaws are tolerable to one depends on the individual. Different people like different things. Plain and simple.

It's hard not to think that some of these "trolls" are just bitter, sad types who are having a tough time making it here which is why they come on these boards to throw mud at this area. I'd like not to think that's the reason but it just SEEMS that way. If this applies to you, I suggest logging off city-data, finding more work & then you can save the $ in order to "make it here." And if your dislike of the Bay Area has more to do with personal preference, LEAVE! or stop wasting energy because you're not changing others' minds about the place and it doesn't appear you're making your situation better by bitching (or at least my experience has been that moaning and groaning doesn't solve problems).

If you're educated you know that few things in life are black and white and so the rash generalizations about this area aren't going to be welcome by those of us who see perspective. I don't think anyone on here who "likes" the Bay Area thinks it's perfect and if you do, GOOD FOR YOU! That probably makes you even happier than me. But, for the rest of us, we're not delusional. This area has its problems. We can choose to look past them or we can choose another path.

And for those who feel this board should be used for venting.... find a teenage girl, sit at Starbucks and complain away. Us educated types know that's not what this place is for (at least not w/out some sound arguments).

Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculust View Post
It's hard not to think that some of these "trolls" are just bitter, sad types who are having a tough time making it here which is why they come on these boards to throw mud at this area. I'd like not to think that's the reason but it just SEEMS that way.
Well -- that ISN'T the reason people troll. Yeah -- some people will vent in that manner but in general, people troll because they think it's fun to come in, drop a bomb and watch other people eat their livers in angst about the negativity. Like you're doing right now.

If someone is obviously trolling -- ignore them. If you can't ignore them, PUT THEM ON IGNORE so you can't see their posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland