Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times

Advertisements

I have been reading through the tourist threads and found tons of very helpful info, thanks!! My dh and I are planning our first visit in just a few weeks and I have a few questions that I did not come across just yet. We are planning to stay in Fisherman's Wharf and use only public transit and lots of walking. Has anyone had particularly good experiences with any of the hotels in that area? The Sheraton and Hyatt both look like good options but if you have some recommendations, I would love to hear them. Also, are there any particular city tour companies you recommend? We have a lot we would like to see on our own but we have found that a trolley ride or bus tour showing us around often gives a good idea of where we want to concentrate some of our time. Any winery tours you enjoy? Lastly, we are there to celebrate our anniversary and are looking for a nice local place to have dinner. A place we can only find in San Francisco.. Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
I know that there is a Marriott hotel in Fisherman's Wharf you may want to check out.

I would check out Rubicon Winery. It used to be called the Niebaum-Coppola Winery. It is owned by Francis Ford Coppola and has a display of many memorabilia from his movies. It even has the desk from the Godfather and a Tucker car from one of his other movies.

Sterling is always fun. You take a little tram up to the winery which is on a hill.

Have fun!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Also, are there any particular city tour companies you recommend? We have a lot we would like to see on our own but we have found that a trolley ride or bus tour showing us around often gives a good idea of where we want to concentrate some of our time. Any winery tours you enjoy?
Check out Gray Line tours for day trips to Napa wineries, Muir Woods or around San Francisco and out to the Golden Gate Bridge. Sightseeing & trolley tours by San Francisco Sightseeing

For first-timers, take a bay cruise (about $20 for 45 minutes) from near Pier 39. Nice views of the GG Bridge, Alcatraz and the SF skyline.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Default This is nice!

I recommend trying this! Napa Valley Wine Train | Unique Napa, California Restaurant and Winery Tours

Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone! I will lok in to all of this.. We appreciate everyones advice!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:25 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
The Marriott on Bay St. is pretty good. I would stick a block or two "inland", personally. You'll probably find that Fisherman's Wharf is the kind of place where you walk through once and you've had enough for a lifetime - parts of it have a bit of a seedy feel (keep your hand on your purse/wallets), homeless bums love to hang out there and bug people, lots of tacky stores selling ridiculous tourist crap, etc. The Marriott puts you on the edge of Fisherman's Wharf, not right in the middle of it. The neighborhoods around the Marriott are fine.

But once you get out of that, seeing other parts of San Francisco is awesome :-) Just avoid the Tenderloin.

I'll offer suggestions on the restaurant as well:

If you're into Italian...
1. Bacco in Noe Valley - they make their own pasta, and they are AWESOME. BACCO Ristorante, San Francisco, CA
2. Incanto is close by in the same area...excellent Italian-inspired cooking. They food are very much focused on local food - they cure their own meats, grow many of their own herbs, and change the menu daily. Their chefs have good pedigrees; one was on Iron Chef a few years ago (not sure if he won or not). Incanto Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar, Noe Valley, San Francisco 415-641-4500
3. Flour+Water in the Mission - this place is making big news with strong reviews even in the NY Times.

French:
1. Chez Spencer in the Mission - excellent food with a great "off the beaten path" romantic feel. When I was there, they also had an excellent jazz piano player. Only downside is that parking is sometimes a pain and the surrounding area is not the nicest in the world to walk through in the evening.

If you're looking to spend A LOT of money...
1. French Laundry in Yountville (Napa area). Only restaurant in the Bay area to earn three Michelin stars. You'd better try to get reservations right now, and you'll be lucky if you do.
2. Gary Danko, which is actually just a street or two away from Fisherman's Wharf.

That's just a very small personal list...there are a ton of excellent restaurants around here... Don't waste your meal times in Fisherman's Wharf.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
I think that you should look into renting a car. The Bay Area has so much to offer. Driving down the coast on Highway One to Monterey and Carmel. If the weather is good, drive over the Golden Gate to Sausalito and eat at Scomas on the water or Tiberon and dinner at Guaymas where you can sit outside with a view of San Francisco.

For photographs, it is hard to beat the Marin Headlands. It is a shot that you have probably seen in postcards or guidebooks of San Francisco. You are looking over the Golden Gate at San Francisco.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
I stayed here a couple of years ago and it was lovely and close to everything in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

San Francisco Boutique Hotel - Best Western Tuscan Inn at Fisherman’s Wharf.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks again everyone.. These links are all great, very helpful!!!
ambient, I checked out the menus on your links and they look great! Really appreciate that for our anniversay dinner..

Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
My experiences in San Francisco is if you ever find a parking place you will not leave it till you leave the town. Ask your hotel if they have available parking, some might but most do not have parking available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland