Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndslp View Post
Hi! I lived in the Monterey area for about 10 years. I just moved away from there a few months ago to finish my education.

For the first couple of years I lived in New Monterey, just a few blocks up from Cannery Row. It was awesome! I could walk down to the bike path, down to Cannery Row to eat or hit up the couple of bars down there. The night life is so-so in Monterey. Most of the more active bars are in downtown on Alvarado Street. Though there are a couple cool places on Cannery Row, like Sly McFlys and Bullwhackers. I really loved the vibe of living in New Monterey. I lived in an apartment, it was 2 bedrooms and we paid $1100 a month. The last time I saw an ad for an apartment there, I think the rent had gone up to $1300, but it was a great place.

When we had our 1st baby, we decided to move to a bigger place, and we decided on this town home in Marina. Bad decision. It was much too far away, and we paid so much in gas driving from Marina to Monterey/PG everyday to do all the things we liked to do, plus, we both worked in PG... To make matters worse, there were some kids that lived next to us that I saw with a gun one day. I think we decided to move out of Marina the next day.

From there we moved to PG. Ahhhh, a little slice of heaven. I swear to you, PG is the BEST place to raise small children. But when it comes to high school and college age kids...eek. There is nothing for them to do there. It's a good town for people who are either retired or have really young kids.

whatever you do...don't move to seaside without scoping out the neighborhood first. there are several streets in Seaside that I would be afraid to walk down even in the day time. But there are also many streets that are amazing and have great views and are a little more upscale.

So, what do I think?

I think you should live in New Monterey, I think you should spend your weekend nights on Alvarado street at Lalapalooza's Martini Bar. Have dinner at the millions and millions of restaurants in Monterey and PG. Especially make sure to check out Hula's, Pepper's, Paradiso, The Red House Cafe, First Awakenings, Tillie Gorts, The Sardine Factory, Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing, The Breakfast Club in Seaside, to name a few. Check out the wharf once, that's all you'll need, you don't want to be hanging out with all the tourist's anyway. Though there is some killer happy hour deals at Domenico's and Abalonetti's, something like $2 margaritas, I think. Don't miss the Tuesday Farmer's Market on Avarado Street, it's where all the cool people hang out. Make sure to hike at Point Lobos every chance you get! Ride your bike down Ocean View Blvd around the point of the peninsula and have lunch at Asilomar Beach. Hike up at Jack's peak, there are some great views from up there! If you have a dog, Del Monte Beach and Asilomar are the place to be. You're only 45 minutes away from Big Sur, so make sure to take advantage!! Also, Carmel Valley is a nice place to escape from the fog. It's only 20 minutes and it will be at least 20 degrees warmer. Garland Ranch is a nice place to walk around out in CV. Yoga at the Yoga Place on Lighthouse in PG, they have Hot Yoga there. Monterey Sports Center is where most people go to work out. They have a big indoor pool, huge cardio room, weight room, and excercise classes. You can pay by the day or buy a pass.

Oh and as far as the hospital is concerned, it's a great hospital. I went to nursing school in Monterey, and I have many friends who are nurses at CHOMP and they LOVE it there. You will be very happy there. Good luck to you!
Great Post! You make me want to move to Monterey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM

131 posts, read 277,825 times
To jenndslp, thanks so much, very great post!!

I have been here a week, and I absolutely love it. I'm already thinking about making this a permanent home for awhile. I drove in through Big Sur and just about flipped!! BEAUTIFUL!!! I haven't really gone out on the town yet, but have jogged or walked everyday along the coast, it's like free therapy! LOL! This is a great place to get healthy and back in shape, the outdoors is definitely food for the soul. Just wanted to update those who've responded to my posts! Thanks alot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland