Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
It's all about affordibility. Texas is cheap.
It's also because it is much easier to run a business in Texas at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It's also because it is much easier to run a business in Texas at the moment.
maybe but that doesn't mean they want to live there.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
My opinion.
Yep just what I thought...pretty lame

Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
It's all about affordibility. Texas is cheap.The people who can't afford California any longer are escaping to a place where they can afford to live.

Thousands of Texans move to California too, so what?
It is not a stupid state that is low class and cheap like you are trying to make it sound. Get a clue. People are not escaping California just because they can't afford it...many are escaping because the opportunities are not as abundant here as in Texas. Texas will never sink like California...not because it is a less expensive place to live but because the voters won't let it. Texas is not a Union State and you can't get away with milking the system as easily as you can here. These are the two main things that are hurting this state.

Texas is not cheap...it is a normal cost of living. California is an outrageous cost of living.

Last edited by TVC15; 10-30-2010 at 12:05 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Skip Austin, Texas. I'm socially liberally and hated that town. I was shocked and offended by the plethora of pretentious and superficial liberal posers. The pretentiousness and hypocrisy are off the Richter scale there. Not one real liberal lives there. Even the hippies have very conservative ideology.......sure they want to legalize pot and hug trees but when it comes to other liberal issues they will frown upon it with scorn and contempt. The gays are in the closet. And the religious freakazoids are there too, and they are extremely pretentious and two faced beyond human understanding.

If you cannot afford California and you want to escape ultra conservative Waco then move to Dallas, Texas. Try living in Addison, Texas, uptown Dallas, downtown Dallas, and east Dallas. Dallas has the largest arts district in Texas. The Dallas Museum of Art is an enormous and thriving jewel. Crow Asian art collection and Nasher Sculpture Museum are also world class. Dallas has multiple other bohemian art districts that cater to independent artists. The art community is huge in Dallas. Art experts and free spirits usually gather at The MAC, Samuel Lynne Galleries, Dallas Contemporary, Dunn and Brown Contemporary, The Goss/Michael Foundation (featuring singer George Michael's British art collection), The Latino Cultural Center, The Valley House Sculpture Garden, The Madi Geometric art museum, biannual Cottonwood Arts Festival, Richardson Wildflower Music and Arts Festival, and Deep Ellum. Deep Ellum has some of the best nightlife for those who are grungy artists. Lizard Lounge, Excuses Extreme - Club One, Club Viper, and Club Purgatory cater to socially liberal and artistic individuals. The Nightmare, 2826 Arnetic, and The Prophet Bar all cater to rock concerts. If you want an intellectual and humorous night out then try Dallas Shakespeare which is a Shakespeare festival that occurs in the summer and fall every year. It literally lasts several weeks at a time.

Cultural events and parades are free and abundant in Dallas and Addison. Dallas has the largest state fair in the nation. The Dallas World Aquarium is astounding, modern, and high tech. The University of Texas at Dallas is a top notch modern university. They cater to high quality academics and art not football, beer, "free speech zones", big brother informant systems, and political correctness BS like at UT Austin. If you want Hills and diversity then try Cedar Hill, Texas. All of those areas I just mentioned are modern, huge, and progressive as can be for Texas. Cedar Hill is the most conservative but it's not near as terrible, religious, and creepy as Waco.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-30-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
It's all about affordibility. Texas is cheap.The people who can't afford California any longer are escaping to a place where they can afford to live.
Tell me about affordability once you move out of your parents' home.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Tell me about affordability once you move out of your parents' home.
I did it...then suddenly joined the "California is too expensive" crowd . Even better, I did it IN the Bay Area.

Still though, I wouldn't trade it in the world. Now, I know I need to be more realistic when I'm planning out my future if I choose to stay in this state. Unless I want to commute from the IE or Central Valley everyday

Old 10-31-2010, 12:09 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Skip Austin, Texas.... The gays are in the closet. ....
Don't know about the other stuff you typed in as I only was there for a week, but here you lie for sure. I've only been to Austin for a week so far, but I've met more openly gay folks (heck, people at the cash register at a grocery store, and a gal helping me out with road directions - the freeways are really something else in TX in terms of speed, but everybody is polite at least, unlike CA) than here in the East Bay. I mean are you comparing it to the Castro and Tenderloin in SF?

It's true there is an abundance of "find Jesus" stations that I can't stand either, but so there is right here in CA. And in the Bay Area at that.

You are clearly stereotyping, and I'm not even a Texan yet, but can see that that is bull****. (but I don't know about the rest of Texas)

And if Texans/*Austinites especially* are pretentious, then what are we Californians? Oh, brother... don't start me on this.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM

423 posts, read 823,895 times
I wonder how coco's career of a contemporary oil painter is working out in SF.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
If I had to choose between being homeless in California or living in Texas, I'd choose being homeless in California because at least I'd be where I was happy and the weather wouldn't kill me unlike hot humid buggy Texas. I live in heaven. Texas would be hell for me. The gulf is pathetic compared to the mighty beautiful Pacific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland