Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times

Advertisements

Have poor people in their 20's never moved to san francisco? I don't understand.
> Please get real. SF is a city only for rich people. PERIOD. These are poor people in SF that have lived here for long time and already have either subsidized housing or old rent-controlled apartments. Many get govt. assistance. You are a newcomer will have to pony up some cash to get a place to live here. The city and the state makes it very difficult for lower income people to live here with high taxes and anti-business attitudes. If you look beyond the liberal hype, SF is very tough on poor people.

There are tons of poor mexican immigrants here also.
> This is the last thing you should be complaining about if you are moving to CA. Also realize that you can afford a lot of things because poor mexican immigrants work very hard to produce cheap goods and services. Instead of whining you should be actually thanking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:20 PM

37 posts, read 105,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I have a Bachelors degree in computer imaging and advertising.
> There will be lot more job opportunities in Dallas/Houston for you than in SF. The top three industries in SF are tourism related service industry (read low wage), banking/finance, healthcare.

In any case you still haven't answered how Texas sucks and compared to what. I can admit that Waco might be boring but Waco is just a small little town in Texas. Cities of the size of Waco in California, particularly the one away from the coast are even more boring than Waco!
Oh ok sorry, I just think it sucks because of:
1. The Cops - I got pulled over for stopping over the white line at a stop sign and the guy accused me of doing drugs behind a gas station. I have been harrassed more than once by the cops here for doing nothing. They always pull me over for some trivial thing and then accuse me of drinking.

2. The culture- Everything revolves around Walmart and McDonalds and Home Depot. That's all there is here to do. All the architecture here is ugly and department store oriented. Religion and Sports come before education here. Most creativity is looked down upon or flat out ignored. (Aside from Austin which is the one place that I like).

3. The geography - It takes 5 hours to get to the ocean, 5 hours to get out of Texas and everything is flat. Its hotter than hell in the summer.

4. Society here- Sometimes it feels like society here is stuck in the past.

There are things I like about Texas. Nothing I wouldn't miss too much though. I like Davy Crockett and the Alamo

Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post

In any case you still haven't answered how Texas sucks and compared to what. I can admit that Waco might be boring but Waco is just a small little town in Texas. Cities of the size of Waco in California, particularly the one away from the coast are even more boring than Waco!
Truth to that one.
Small towns here are usually a high concentration of cookie cutter housing and very little services/recreational opportunities for residents trying to save a buck.

At least small towns in Texas have a healthy balance of quality houses, businesses and nearby recreational opportunities.

But, before anyone moves anywhere, it's always wise to make sure you have some form of employment waiting for you there by the time you make your move.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
I wouldn't mind if they plopped the RiverWalk in San Antonio somewhere in California. Sacramento RiverWalk has a nice ring to it.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Truth to that one.
Small towns here are usually a high concentration of cookie cutter housing and very little services/recreational opportunities for residents trying to save a buck.

At least small towns in Texas have a healthy balance of quality houses, businesses and nearby recreational opportunities.

But, before anyone moves anywhere, it's always wise to make sure you have some form of employment waiting for you there by the time you make your move.
The whole job thing is a catch-22. You should have a job before you move, but more often than not an employer in another state won't even talk to you until you "get to town".

I'm planning a move to Texas and won't start looking for a job until I get there. But I will have savings to get me by until I get a job.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
1. The Cops - I got pulled over for stopping over the white line at a stop sign and the guy accused me of doing drugs behind a gas station. I have been harrassed more than once by the cops here for doing nothing. They always pull me over for some trivial thing and then accuse me of drinking.
> There can be bad cops everywhere and CA has been historically notorious for over jealous cops abusing their power. FYI, an innocent black guy got shot in BART stop by an over-jealous rent-a-cop type last year and instances of police abuse are common here as well. It is nothing unique about TX.

2. The culture- Everything revolves around Walmart and McDonalds and Home Depot. That's all there is here to do. All the architecture here is ugly and department store oriented. Religion and Sports come before education here. Most creativity is looked down upon or flat out ignored. (Aside from Austin which is the one place that I like).
> This is only true for small towns. You can find everything in Dallas or Houston. Purely in terms of numbers these two cities are way bigger than San Francisco and more ethnically diverse. Creativity is looked down upon only when you are creative with too much of a hipster lifestyle.

3. The geography - It takes 5 hours to get to the ocean, 5 hours to get out of Texas and everything is flat. Its hotter than hell in the summer.
>CA wins this of course but you will pay dearly for those privileges. If you live in TX you will save so much money that you can vacation in CA 4 times a year. FYI, SF can be annoyingly cold and foggy for large parts of the year but this is not true for most of coastal CA.

4. Society here- Sometimes it feels like society here is stuck in the past.
> Again it could be a small town thing but in general I don't agree at all. Texas has a very dynamic and rapidly changing cultural landscape and CA is no different in this regard.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1985 View Post
Why do you assume I don't have much education? I have a Bachelors degree in computer imaging and advertising. I have a savings account too. And it is very likely that I have a higher IQ than you.
then why are you working for almost min wage? And if you have a degree in computer imaging why would you not use your degree? I hate to say this, but something here does not jell... I will leave it at that: most people do not like tough love, you are one. Obviously you wanted people to come here and tell you to come to Ca, you have a notion everything is so awesome. As for IQ I have no idea if yours is high or not, but that makes no difference...Whatever I will drop it, do what you want, don't listen and live with your decisions... you asked if you could handle the move to San Francisco, you obviously did not want to hear the answer. If I have offended you, I have said 3 times now, I am sorry, but I would tell my own daughters the same thing. Thank goodness I never had to. You say you have a very high IQ, you have a double degree and are poor with poor friends;;;do you understand you are talking out of both sides of your mouth..You say everything revolves around sports and religion but you live in Waco, the home of Baylor. I have yet to see a college town that doesn't have a certain amount of interest in education.

Nita

Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
How is smalltown Texas representative of all Texas?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 PM

220 posts, read 411,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I lived in San Antonio for 3 1/2 years and I couldn't wait to get back to California. I'm so happy that we made it back home. I wont go as far as to say that Texas sucks..... but it sure isn't as nice as California.

Now all of you California haters can leave right now...... thanks. Go to Texas.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Plain and simple...it is not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland