Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times

Advertisements

Really?? Totally off topic but that is very apalling. Taking a stand for one's beliefs is definitely a good thing, but doing it in such a disrespectful way makes me question the person and their beliefs. If they had such faith in their environmentalism or whatever cause they believed in they would not have to deface and disrespect others to prove it. That, and many vehicles have worse or just as bad mileage as Hummers, and I see them all over the bay area, such as Range Rovers, many sports cars, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Another example of how San Franciscans are not soft is an almost militant environmentalism. I saw 2 guys arguing in the street\ profanity because one guy was sitting in a parked Hummer near Union Sq. It wasn't that uncommon for Hummers to have dog poop smeared on the door handles [even in Malibu]. The willingness to take a stand is certainly something the people of San Francisco rarely shy from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:22 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
What, are you jealous? Actually, i know Gentoo can handle himself. I wasn't defending him, more like joining in on a tag-team ass whooping of a pathetic troll.
Fail if you actually believe flaming someone on an internet forum constitutes an "ass whooping" (in your words).

Quote:
If they had such faith in their environmentalism or whatever cause they believed in they would not have to deface and disrespect others to prove it. That, and many vehicles have worse or just as bad mileage as Hummers, and I see them all over the bay area, such as Range Rovers, many sports cars, etc.
Range rovers are everywhere! lol. Dont't see any dog sh*t on their door handles lol.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Really?? Totally off topic but that is very apalling. Taking a stand for one's beliefs is definitely a good thing, but doing it in such a disrespectful way makes me question the person and their beliefs. If they had such faith in their environmentalism or whatever cause they believed in they would not have to deface and disrespect others to prove it. That, and many vehicles have worse or just as bad mileage as Hummers, and I see them all over the bay area, such as Range Rovers, many sports cars, etc.
Eco-terrorists set fire to Hummers in a Pasadena car lot & burned down homes still under construction in San Diego. They are fringe groups.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Fail if you actually believe flaming someone on an internet forum constitutes an "ass whooping" (in your words).
It's an internet "ass-whooping" smart guy. No, i don't believe that killakoolaide is now in the intensive care unit.

the real "fail" here is the logic used by the Bay Area troll brigade.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:03 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
What's appalling is driving around in a gas guzzling, expensive, massive dinosaur of a military vehicle trying to run people down on the freeways to prove what a wealthy, pompous, self absorbed jerk you are. People that drive these are essentially "flipping off" anyone that gives a hoot about the environment.

After living in Ireland and spending a lot of time across Europe (where the air is fresh and clean), you really get a sense at how disgusting vehicles in that realm really are. If you tell someone on this continent that Americans were driving military vehicles on the freeways (or anything of this massive size), they actually think your lying. It's just too unbelievable.

So you could argue that it's more disrespectful to blatantly spit in the face of environmentalism and anyone that cares about road safety. Do I believe in defacing someone's property? No. But when someone makes a conscious choice to disregard any information on the subject they SHOULD feel marginalized. Just like a fool that would throw a lit cigarette out in a National park on a dry, hot day.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,816 times
Talking Why Bay Area People Are Soft

I was looking around and found this: http://www.taxi-library.org

Take a look at how many taxi cab drivers were murdered in California. You will soon be overwhelmed by the number of cab drivers killed in New York. If the softness of our culture is what permits life to continue, however boring it may seem from the outside.... well, I'm okay with that.

I think it's an interesting thing to go to a different place and ask why it isn't like your home town. Consider these examples:

- In Italy: how come you guys take naps in the middle of the day?
- At your girlfriend's mom's house: how come you don't use nutmeg in your pumpkin pie?
- In Iraq: how come you don't have greater women's rights?

The answer: because that's they way they do it. Sure we'd rather have mom's pumpkin/sweet potato pie. Of course we'd like to visit Iraq and soak up its rich history while seeing beautiful uncovered Iraqi women in a more active societal role. And yes, it is inconvenient to try to buy gelato when those Italians are napping.

But that's the way it works. If you're looking for great weather, California is an excellent option. If you want communication that appears more tolerant and ignores PC boundaries, New York still has vacancies. If you want both... well, I hear there's a couple places for rent on K-PAX.

Good luck.

~M

Old 04-20-2010, 01:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post

Range rovers are everywhere! lol. Dont't see any dog sh*t on their door handles lol.
Baydude, you must have a memory that last no more than 25 seconds! Are you seriously talking about others flaming?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
What's appalling is driving around in a gas guzzling, expensive, massive dinosaur of a military vehicle trying to run people down on the freeways to prove what a wealthy, pompous, self absorbed jerk you are. People that drive these are essentially "flipping off" anyone that gives a hoot about the environment.

After living in Ireland and spending a lot of time across Europe (where the air is fresh and clean), you really get a sense at how disgusting vehicles in that realm really are. If you tell someone on this continent that Americans were driving military vehicles on the freeways (or anything of this massive size), they actually think your lying. It's just too unbelievable.

So you could argue that it's more disrespectful to blatantly spit in the face of environmentalism and anyone that cares about road safety. Do I believe in defacing someone's property? No. But when someone makes a conscious choice to disregard any information on the subject they SHOULD feel marginalized. Just like a fool that would throw a lit cigarette out in a National park on a dry, hot day.
Well said indeed!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 AM

4 posts, read 16,251 times
It's amazing how quickly talk about how "unsafe" Oakland is tends to reveal itself to be spoken by people with racist ideas about "too many" poor black people (how many is too many, I wonder?) and whatnot.

Yes, Oakland has crime. I've lived here since 1997 and had a car stolen and broken into a couple of times, and there was an attempted robbery at my old apartment on MacArthur near Grand. But I've never been subjected to any sort of physical violence and even though I live in one of the "good" neighborhoods (Grand Lake) I spend a lot of time all over Oakland, particularly with friends who live in Temescal, West Oakland, and so on. I walk downtown from BART to my place all the time late at night - in 10 years I have never had a threatening or hostile encounter. Maybe I'm just a lucky white liberal, or maybe the kind of crime that Oakland is famous for isn't random and has to do with pre-existing problems in specific communities and neighborhoods.

At this point I'm mixed, because the reputation Oakland has for being such a horrible place keeps it affordable and pleasant, unlike large parts of San Francisco, but it's also enraging to see such racist tripe used to justify these ignorant views of the city.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlAbout(Oak)Town View Post
It's amazing how quickly talk about how "unsafe" Oakland is tends to reveal itself to be spoken by people with racist ideas about "too many" poor black people (how many is too many, I wonder?) and whatnot.

Yes, Oakland has crime. I've lived here since 1997 and had a car stolen and broken into a couple of times, and there was an attempted robbery at my old apartment on MacArthur near Grand. But I've never been subjected to any sort of physical violence and even though I live in one of the "good" neighborhoods (Grand Lake) I spend a lot of time all over Oakland, particularly with friends who live in Temescal, West Oakland, and so on. I walk downtown from BART to my place all the time late at night - in 10 years I have never had a threatening or hostile encounter. Maybe I'm just a lucky white liberal, or maybe the kind of crime that Oakland is famous for isn't random and has to do with pre-existing problems in specific communities and neighborhoods.

At this point I'm mixed, because the reputation Oakland has for being such a horrible place keeps it affordable and pleasant, unlike large parts of San Francisco, but it's also enraging to see such racist tripe used to justify these ignorant views of the city.
Good points. You know when I go to Oakland I stay in that same area you live in (off of Vernon st.) and I walk around, often with camera gear all the time and never have had any sort of bad encounter. That area has always been the same. Most of Oakland is actually like that. The crime is concentrated in specific areas and it can be intense in those areas. However unless you live there, those areas are never anyplace anyone would ever have to visit.

It's interesting you mentioned the racist aspect. While I'm not one to cry racism at every opportunity, it does seem that cities with high black and/or Hispanic populations get the attention to crime more often. Compared to a city like Everett Washington which also has a fairly high crime rate but is mostly white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland