Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
What's appalling is driving around in a gas guzzling, expensive, massive dinosaur of a military vehicle trying to run people down on the freeways to prove what a wealthy, pompous, self absorbed jerk you are. People that drive these are essentially "flipping off" anyone that gives a hoot about the environment.

After living in Ireland and spending a lot of time across Europe (where the air is fresh and clean), you really get a sense at how disgusting vehicles in that realm really are. If you tell someone on this continent that Americans were driving military vehicles on the freeways (or anything of this massive size), they actually think your lying. It's just too unbelievable.
This is the USA not Ireland or Europe and out here people still have the freedom to choose! And yes American consumers have more money to spend then almost anyone else in the world and it is conspicuous consumption by Americans that drives the global economic growth.

The biggest reason for traffic related pollution in SF is slow, stop and go traffic and lack of freeways and lack of good subway system. How about modernizing the old victorians with some insulation and energy efficient design? Also how much fuel do you think environmental phonies in SF waste because of their lifestyle choices like long distance weekend trips to Tahoe/Napa and all the other outdoor attractions? They don't take the public transit to Tahoe, do they? This is classic example of typical SF style holier than thou attitude! These jokers actually believe that driving their Prius 500 miles for optional life-style choices is saving the environment but someone carrying their family in a SUV for 20 miles out of necessity is destroying the environment? Its pointless to focus your energy on irrelevant small little things like somebody driving a hummer. The solution to environmental problems are economically viable technologies but not regulating peoples behavior through big govt intervention. This phony environmentalism in CA is extremely irritating.

Oh BTW! Thanks for sharing your deep knowledge of Europe. Maybe you could move there to get some fresh air and spare us the lecture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
This is the USA not Ireland or Europe and out here people still have the freedom to choose! And yes American consumers have more money to spend then almost anyone else in the world and it is conspicuous consumption by Americans that drives the global economic growth.

The biggest reason for traffic related pollution in SF is slow, stop and go traffic and lack of freeways and lack of good subway system. How about modernizing the old victorians with some insulation and energy efficient design? Also how much fuel do you think environmental phonies in SF waste because of their lifestyle choices like long distance weekend trips to Tahoe/Napa and all the other outdoor attractions? They don't take the public transit to Tahoe, do they? This is classic example of typical SF style holier than thou attitude! These jokers actually believe that driving their Prius 500 miles for optional life-style choices is saving the environment but someone carrying their family in a SUV for 20 miles out of necessity is destroying the environment? Its pointless to focus your energy on irrelevant small little things like somebody driving a hummer. The solution to environmental problems are economically viable technologies but not regulating peoples behavior through big govt intervention. This phony environmentalism in CA is extremely irritating.

Oh BTW! Thanks for sharing your deep knowledge of Europe. Maybe you could move there to get some fresh air and spare us the lecture!
Just curious why someone from Dallas spends so much time in the California forum? How come Californians are in no way obsessed with Texas? You guys always seem to have an ax to grind & spew your hate on people who have no connection to you.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Just curious why someone from Dallas spends so much time in the California forum? How come Californians are in no way obsessed with Texas? You guys always seem to have an ax to grind & spew your hate on people who have no connection to you.
a) I live in SF not Dallas
b) Californians are so obsessed with TX that they are moving there in droves

FYI, giving an opinion is not hate! Stop exaggerating...

Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:

Just because a person can do something doesn't mean they should do it.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Just because a person can do something doesn't mean they should do it.
Unfortunately that applies equally to someone driving a hummer and someone driving long distances regularly just for recreation. Both have the option not to damage the environment! Of course you will choose one over the other because of the cultural biases you have but there is no right or wrong here..You have step in others shoes and see things from their viewpoint!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:

Why do you claim to live in California when you & we know that is not true! You list a Dallas zip code on your personal info. This is what puzzles me. Impostors who evidently have nothing else to do but rag on a city and state that is over 1000 miles away. Is life so boring?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:

You are a total troll! I just read thru 2 pages of your responses to a variety of threads. All are extremely negative about San Francisco where you now claim to live when, in-fact you live in Dallas instead. What is your problem? How can you be so obsessed over attacking a city you have nothing to do with? You live in Texas. Please focus your energy on your own city. I've seen everything now!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Unfortunately that applies equally to someone driving a hummer and someone driving long distances regularly just for recreation. Both have the option not to damage the environment! Of course you will choose one over the other because of the cultural biases you have but there is no right or wrong here..You have step in others shoes and see things from their viewpoint!
That makes little sense. People who drive Hummers are also driving those same distances to do the same things.

Are you aware of why it's important to protect the environment are are you one of those who thinks nothings is wrong at all?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM

10 posts, read 77,756 times
I am not from the bay area, but everywhere i have been I found people are pretty much the same, same instincts, the same basic needs, wants and desires. How they go about fulfilling those needs, pursuing those wants and desires, expressing those instincts make all the difference. I think this is good who wants a room or a world made up of all the same people doing the same thing , saying the same things , coming up with the same ideas, making the same decisions. On paper you might say well no clashes , no war, more peace. But i say no glory, no growth, no beauty, no fun. This will never happen anyway cause in the same room people will always find something different to separate themselves from other people. Look at identical twins , they are alike but yet fight to have their own identity. If its human instinct, then we were created to be different, to oppose that would be going against your own nature. So live and let live, but don't, and i mean don't, you ever "step on my blue suede shoes", cause if you do, we will be fighting.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 PM

10 posts, read 13,043 times
Default Soft ?

I wouldn't say that the Bay Areans are soft. However I will say that they definitely lack a deeper sense of humour that NYC and the east coast people have. I would go as far and say NEw England really is more like the UK in it's sensibilities and the people are more keyed into sarcasm and self improvement. The Bay Area is a landing ground for Asians and hence has a very different mode of thinking. The Asians are humble and self analytical in a different way. Not soft, just different.

I still find this area very difficult. I will say that the Bay Areans DON'T work as hard as the East Coasters. I have worked in many Tech companies and the attitude towards the work place here is that it's also a social venue. Lot's of wasted time in socializing opposed to actual heads-down working. There is way more dead-wood in these companies than I've ever seen in both Europe and the East Coast. Lazy ? Unproductive ? Probably not. Definitely inefficient (10 hour day = 5 hours of work!). The only cases where this is not true is Start-ups. Very different mode of operation there. I love start-ups!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland