Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,113,835 times

Advertisements

No they don't happen all over the world. Have you ever been all over the world? Name the places you have been.

They don't even happen all over the US.

There seems to be a blatant disrespect for elders here in the US.

I don't think you should allow anyone to slap you and get away with it. It isn't about who is hard, it is about who is CRAZY.

The young people think they can get away with acting like fools but they haven't met some of the crazy OLD people yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Uh, FYI- this was all over all of the local news here a long time ago. We're all familiar with the incident so it's quite pathetic to keep posting this as if you're "on to something" new.

Fights and bad behavior happen--they happen all over the world- big city and small towns--it's not unique or shocking. I don't understand why you're here posting since you're not really contributing anything. You're like a 5 yr old that tells the same fart joke 10 times a day and expects everyone to laugh or be shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,959,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
No they don't happen all over the world. Have you ever been all over the world? Name the places you have been.

I don't think you should allow anyone to slap you and get away with it. It isn't about who is hard, it is about who is CRAZY.

The young people think they can get away with acting like fools but they haven't met some of the crazy OLD people yet.
Lol-- Firstly your post doesn't make any sense. The video isn't about elderly people or disrespectful youth. Those women are probably around the same age.

And since you asked, I actually used to live abroad in Ireland (West Cork, Limerick and Tipperary), and my family just got back from France (Montpelier), Northern Spain and just outside of London where we had a family reunion for the past three and a half weeks. I have been to France three times now (Brittany/Normandy, Paris), Spain twice (Malaga/Grenada), Scotland (Ft William/Oban), Germany (Frankfurt) etc. I could go on, but you get the picture. I've also been to a handful of states as well.

I don't know what point your trying to make here or why it matters where I've been. I've witnessed bad things happening on occasion in several places and this video is no exception. If you pick up an international paper sometime like I do, you'll realize that no place is immune from criminal activity and crazy people.

I don't really know what you mean by blatant disrespect for elders--this doesn't have anything to do with the video.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,452,278 times
Quote:

Are you seriously trying to deny that "Fights and bad behavior" happen everywhere? Have you been anywhere outside of your house?? You've never been in a fight, even as a kid, or known anyone to be in one?

I don't even know where to begin to respond to that. Try looking up some crime stats from whatever source you prefer, and take a look at the "aggravated assault" category. EVERY city in the US that has a population larger than an extended family will have at least SOME kind of assault rate. I don't get how you're trying to deny this. When was the last time you read or watched the news?

Quote:
So now you're in agreement that things happen throughout the US? Not only is your post not making any sense, but who was supposed to be the "elder" of those two women? They didn't seem to be more than maybe 10 years apart at the most, which would pretty much place them in the same generation. But regardless, the black lady was just attempting to bully the Chinese lady and it blew up in her face. This wasn't elder abuse.

Were you maybe thinking of the "Epic Beard Man" incident? I'm confused.

Quote:

And some of the crazy old people should calm down as well b/c some of the youngsters are stupid enough to kill them over nothing. It works both ways. But this part of your post I at least agree with.

What I'm not getting is how this either ties into the bus incident in question, b/c this wasn't really an age-based fight, or how you're saying all this after claiming that not only does this stuff not happen throughout the US all the time, but that it is limited to only the US.

And please, let's not feed the troll by letting arguments ensue following this blatant attempt.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,285,010 times
Quote:

This entire post reads like it was written by 4 different people.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM

16,573 posts, read 27,285,010 times
Quote:
Are you seriously trying to deny that "Fights and bad behavior" happen everywhere? Have you been anywhere outside of your house?? You've never been in a fight, even as a kid, or known anyone to be in one?
That's the home school advantage

Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,452,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

That's the home school advantage
Lol.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM
bn1

127 posts, read 202,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurAmerica View Post
No...Bay Area people aren't soft. These two SF ladies could give any New Yorker a run for the money in the "I don't give a f&*k about you" department.
When people say that Bay Area people seem soft or the Mid-Atlantic seem hard, I don't think they're comparing ghettos neighborhoods, or which area has the most ghettos, or violent crime statistics.

They're probably referring to a general vibe all across class lines. Moreover, I think what they're especially referring to is the competitive environment in the Northeast - whether you're in a city or suburb.

Having lived in both regions - the NYC area and the Bay Area - I have to admit that there is an overall feeling that life is easier in the Bay, and more comfortable. I'm not talking about someone living in a ghetto neighborhood. There is no statistic or anything that can probably "prove" this, but I'm talking about a difference in real life experience that many feel. There is just a feeling that there are less people here that are imposing on your personal space (except for the homeless), trying to sell you something, or pushing the edge of your patience. There is a feeling that you don't have to be so competitive or cutthroat in even the smallest aspects in life here. People here are generally more forgiving to someone who has a lapse of common sense.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,113,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No just one that took too much Codeine. Oops. Loopy. I do thnk that crime happens everywhere but taking a bus in Walnut Creek is a lot safer than SF. AND I do think they are at least 20 years apart in age. The rest I have no idea what I meant.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,509,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
And since you asked, I actually used to live abroad in Ireland (West Cork, Limerick and Tipperary), and my family just got back from France (Montpelier), Northern Spain and just outside of London where we had a family reunion for the past three and a half weeks. I have been to France three times now (Brittany/Normandy, Paris), Spain twice (Malaga/Grenada), Scotland (Ft William/Oban), Germany (Frankfurt) etc. I could go on, but you get the picture. I've also been to a handful of states as well.
LOL! Obama is going to make you the next UN representative for US

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM

21 posts, read 61,022 times
If the OP or anyone still thinks people in the Bay are soft then get out on the street more. I suspect you are probably just going from your work to parties or upscale bars with yuppies.

I have seen some serious beat downs in SF. Granted, the people fighting were probably not from SF, but there is a very hard edge to the city.

That said, yes I do get a more laid back vibe from just about everyone there, in some ways. The Tenderloin is actually a pretty chill place, for a neighborhood full of junkies.

But Oakland has been at times highest in violent crime in the nation I heard.

The weather probably puts people at ease. That and the high rate of pot smoking. Why hustle? It's not like you're going to freeze to death if you lose your home and end up on the streets.

NY on the other hand, with those winters and the harsh influence of the psychogeography, lights a fire under the asses of residents because there has got to be a better world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland