Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 01:41 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I have a drive for you to really experience the beauty of the Coastal mountains if you haven't already. Drive to San Mateo where you can go towards Half Moon Bay but make a left(going South) on Skyline DRIVE(there is Skyline Blvd in Daly City so don't get confused, not the same thing) and take Skyline Drive all the way to Santa Cruz. Every transplant must do this and then tell me NorCal isn't a piece of heaven.
Isn't that Highway 1? I'm new exploring the area, so forgive me if I'm grossly ignorant. I love the Hwy 1 drive, with the beaches and blue Pacific stretching out on one side, and the farms on the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't that Highway 1? I'm new exploring the area, so forgive me if I'm grossly ignorant. I love the Hwy 1 drive, with the beaches and blue Pacific stretching out on one side, and the farms on the other.
I think she's talking about roads that go up into the mountain ridges down there, not the 1, which stays closer to the coast. There are beautiful redwood forests and microclimates that change within a few hundred yards on those ridges. The hiking is unsurpassed. I've only done it once and have been meaning to go back ever since. Too much to do in the Bay Area, though.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times
Quote:
No, HWY one is along the coast and Skyline Drive is in the mountains. There are points where you can out and hike with amazing trails(about 10 minutes away from San Mateo, in Woodside) and there are vista points to get out where lots of Bikers(as in motorcycle bikers) take breaks. It is my favorite place in CA besides San Francisco. Incredible drive and takes you right to Santa Cruz. Make sure to visit Capitola, too!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I think she's talking about roads that go up into the mountain ridges down there, not the 1, which stays closer to the coast. There are beautiful redwood forests and microclimates that change within a few hundred yards on those ridges. The hiking is unsurpassed. I've only done it once and have been meaning to go back ever since. Too much to do in the Bay Area, though.
Oh, sounds interesting. So many cool little pockets to explore!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Oh, sounds interesting. So many cool little pockets to explore!
Yes. Honestly, NorCal has so much to offer. Just take a day trip and fall in love.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
No, HWY one is along the coast and Skyline Drive is in the mountains. There are points where you can out and hike with amazing trails(about 10 minutes away from San Mateo, in Woodside) and there are vista points to get out where lots of Bikers(as in motorcycle bikers) take breaks. It is my favorite place in CA besides San Francisco. Incredible drive and takes you right to Santa Cruz. Make sure to visit Capitola, too!
Utterly fascinating! A hidden world! I'll definitely check it out! Yeah, I've been to Capitola, but only around downtown/beach. Not impressed. Tricky to avoid the traffic between there and Sta Cruz. Did I miss something?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Yes. Honestly, NorCal has so much to offer. Just take a day trip and fall in love.
Yeah, I want to get out to Fort Ross, north of the Bay. Haven't been there in ages. And I need to check out the redwood forest in Oakland. And I want to see the Trinity Alps, and the Hupa Reservation north of there. The Hupa speak an Athabaskan language, you know, close to Navajo and Apache. And I haven't seen Shasta! Or even Yosemite!!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Utterly fascinating! A hidden world! I'll definitely check it out! Yeah, I've been to Capitola, but only around downtown/beach. Not impressed. Tricky to avoid the traffic between there and Sta Cruz. Did I miss something?
The beaches away from the crowds are very nice and there is an area where you can watch the surfers between Capitola and Santa Cruz. There is a restaurant in Capitola that has a tram that takes you to the restaurant since its on a little hill. I haven't been in close to 13 years, I guess, but I bet it's still there. Go to Capitola in the Winter and hang out with the locals the coffee houses, bars and it feels way different than in the Summer. I used to go in the Summer when I was in my early 20's as S.F. has cold weather in the Summer and I loved the real surfing culture that exists there. I also used to hang with my friends that went to UC Santa Cruz. That was a really long tine ago.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I want to get out to Fort Ross, north of the Bay. Haven't been there in ages. And I need to check out the redwood forest in Oakland. And I want to see the Trinity Alps, and the Hupa Reservation north of there. The Hupa speak an Athabaskan language, you know, close to Navajo and Apache. And I haven't seen Shasta! Or even Yosemite!!
I have only been to Yosemite a few times but it's beauty is still etched in my mind. I really need to take my kids in a few years. Thankfully, Oregon has many beautiful, unspoiled areas that I have yet to experience so we need to get to Crater Lake first!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,373 times
Quote:
Bodega Bay, north upto Fort Ross is one of the few places on earth that rivals Big Sur for natural coastal beauty, IMO. Up there, you are also at the mouth of Russian River, which is spectacular in its own right, but the wineries inland from there are some of my favorites in California.

I once picked up my wife after work in Berkeley and we were up near Jenner on the coast for a beautiful sunset dinner in a little over an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland