Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Bodega Bay, north upto Fort Ross is one of the few places on earth that rivals Big Sur for natural coastal beauty, IMO. Up there, you are also at the mouth of Russian River, which is spectacular in its own right, but the wineries inland from there are some of my favorites in California.

I once picked up my wife after work in Berkeley and we were up near Jenner on the coast for a beautiful sunset dinner in a little over an hour.
It really is hard to beat California! NorCal, especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Bodega Bay, north upto Fort Ross is one of the few places on earth that rivals Big Sur for natural coastal beauty, IMO. Up there, you are also at the mouth of Russian River, which is spectacular in its own right, but the wineries inland from there are some of my favorites in California.

I once picked up my wife after work in Berkeley and we were up near Jenner on the coast for a beautiful sunset dinner in a little over an hour.
Bodega Bay was where The Birds was shot. I think I have driven near the location but I seriously can't remember. I have heard it is still quaint. Like a lot of San Franciscans and Bay Area peeps...I have not been to a lot of places between S.F. and Oregon. I have never been to Alactraz as it was a tourist destination and always seemed like a very depressing place to go. I drove from Oregon to S.F. a few years ago and it was a first. I wasn't crazy about Humboldt County but enjoyed the drive South of it to S.F.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
SoCal has some amazing spots, as well, but NorCal is a lot less populated. I really like the drive from San Luis Obisbo to Santa Barbara and Ventura County. I feel like a fish out of water down there but it's a fun trip.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you been to Hearst Castle and the Cambria area? Really neat drive over there and the estate is a fun tour.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
If you're on that Summit Road drive, do stop into Alice's Restaurant, and then head down the hill to Apple Jack's. Pure mountain bliss .

Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 PM

84 posts, read 79,807 times
As a newbie to the Bay Area, I'm almost overwhelmed by how much there is to see and do around here. My husband and I have been talking about going to Sacramento, Santa Cruz, Napa, etc...not to mention exploring the city and other areas around here. It really is a beautiful corner of the planet.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If you're on that Summit Road drive, do stop into Alice's Restaurant, and then head down the hill to Apple Jack's. Pure mountain bliss .

Alice's Restaurant - Original 1967 Recording - YouTube

Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyFicket View Post
As a newbie to the Bay Area, I'm almost overwhelmed by how much there is to see and do around here. My husband and I have been talking about going to Sacramento, Santa Cruz, Napa, etc...not to mention exploring the city and other areas around here. It really is a beautiful corner of the planet.
Oh, I suppose. But there's even so much MORE to do in NYC!
(Sorry. Inside joke here. )

Old 12-31-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh, I suppose. But there's even so much MORE to do in NYC!
(Sorry. Inside joke here. )
Well, actually, if SF is holding its own, more or less, in competition w/NYC on the "stuff to do" criterion, that speaks quite well of SF. Trust me, Seattle will never be in the running. People on the Seattle forum don't even understand what Bay Area-ites are talking about when we talk about "stuff to do". It's mainly about all the great music events going on every weekend all over the area, some of which are free, and the fab music in the nightclubs, etc., not to mention art events, etc. Seattle doesn't even have that. When the "stuff to do" comparison comes up, they defend Seattle by saying one can take the "duck tours" (a tourist thing), as if that's something locals do for entertainment.

So anyway, if we lose to NYC in the "stuff to do" competition, that's ok, because we're still ahead of everyone else by miles. And how "overwhelmed" do you have to be? Is double-overwhelmed better than just basic "overwhelmed" with choices?

We have better views and beaches. And redwoods. End of story.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
This thread is full to the brim with much of what I hate about Bay Area people. God forbid anyone hate on it. You must be mental if you think anywhere in the country (or even the world) is better than beautiful, intellectual, full of stuff to do San Francisco. If you don't like it in SF, well geez, you must be the most boring person ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland