Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM

13 posts, read 32,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camefromwest View Post
You don't need a broker. Just look on craigslist. Consider Fisherman's Wharf. Best area for a newcomer.
Thanks! Fisherman's Wharf seems nice-- is it terribly expensive or touristy when you live there? I would love to be able to hear the sea lions...

Also if anyone else has neighborhood recommendations as well, please let me know! We're partial to the Mission and North Beach, but love the whole city (and can't afford to be too choosy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
We found a place by walking past, then calling the number on the sign; it was also listed on CL. At the time the rental market was tight, and owners definitely had the upper hand. Rents have fallen since then and there are a lot more vacancies, so I think it's an excellent time to be looking for a place.

As far as the job issue, I would guess that a landlord is going to want to want a very hefty deposit upfront if you don't already have work lined up. I doubt good credit would be enough to cut it, given that jobs are tough to find these days. Once (not in SF, and about 10 years ago) we moved somewhere without a job and got an apartment by paying first and last month's rent in addition to a deposit.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM

13 posts, read 32,208 times
Thanks for the information everyone! Your advice will definitely be taken.
Looking forward to being able to actually trust craigslist...

If you have any other advice for relocators we'd love to hear it!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madverb View Post
Thanks! Surprised to hear this worked, I didn't think of that! I think my future domestic partner and I both "describe" pretty well so we may try it if necessary. Question-- were these landlords who you rented from? Or were you joining a roommate situation? (we don't want roommates, just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.)
My 'landlord" is a brand new owner of 2 duplexes that she bought and fully renovated. No roommates! I will not live with a roommate. I was very lucky as the owner is honest and very into keeping her new property nice.

I highly recommend this route of finding exactly what you are looking for. Good luck

Last edited by TVC15; 01-30-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland