Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,321 times

Advertisements

Wow. This is very discouraging. I plan on relocating in a few months. I work in mortgage banking and I counsel people who are in foreclosure and are trying to get their loans modified. Perhaps there's work out there for me. If not, could the city use a decent bartender? I have my license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM

32 posts, read 80,267 times
Can anyone on here comment on the job market for nursing? BSN, 3 yrs exp...

Old 02-05-2010, 12:04 AM

334 posts, read 1,064,335 times
Anyone who works in healthcare is always in demand everywhere. Nurses apparently make a lot of money in the bay area. I know one who just bought a 1.2MM house. Both her and her husband work as nurses....but here is the catch, she only works 2 days per week, and he works 3 days p/w 12 hour shifts...combined they work 5 days total, and can afford a 1.2MM house. Her husband must get overtime doing the 12 hour shifts. I cannot see how else they could afford the mortgage on a home in that price range. She is quitting her job soon to have another child, and he is moving to 5 days p/w 8 hour shifts, and can still afford the mortgage so he must make a lot.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 PM

9 posts, read 25,062 times
I don't want to discourage anyone from living where they want to live. Sometimes you have to take a chance and risk it all to end up where you want to be. I speak from experience. With that said, I do need to agree with all the comments stated above. The SF Bay Area / Silicon Valley is not the land of milk and honey it used to be.

Things are bad here....real bad. I'm thinking about leaving here, and this is coming from a guy who chose a bay area apartment over buying a Home in any other location. The great weather and recreational activities are no longer cutting it. If you cant afford to enjoy any of those things, why live here? I have learned a thing or two while living here and that is this, Only 3 types of people live in the bay area:

A) Extremely Well Off
B) Living pay check to pay check
C) Dirt Poor

Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 PM

181 posts, read 686,164 times
California doesn't have very much manufacturing or industry so therefore less jobs.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,617 times
San Francisco is strong, it all depends on what you see. My brother recently had three jobs. I work full-time and am in the process of starting my own business. People love to complain about the economy, jobs, and foreclosures. The reality is most people aren't motivated to work, because they are pathetic and just want a high pay stub with easy repetitive work. When you really want to be of service to San Francisco and America because you have so much to give, jobs and success become easy. Read some Stephen Covey people.

Benice66, California is the leading "manufacturer" of agricultural products in the US, how's that for industry?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,321 times
BrendanC - Thank you for your statement. I spent four days in San Francisco and loved it. I even got a job offer. Granted it's not the most glamourous but hey, it will help supplement my income while I continue to interview. I have three more interviews coming up and I actually plan on relocating next week.

It all boils down to what's most important. If it's money and your background career history isn't in demand in the San Francisco market right now, then I can see leaving. But, if you love San Francisco and are willing to try different things in order to make a living, then I say go for it! I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland