Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM

20 posts, read 79,041 times

Advertisements

This is probably the most ridiculous thread you'll read on this forum, but here goes. My 21-month old loves cars, trucks, etc. I see that there's a monster truck event at the Oakland Coliseum on Feb 27th (http://www.coliseum.com/events/show.php?id=1257456354) - I'm thinking of surprising him (and the wife)!

I'm a transplant in the the Bay Area and I've never been to the Coliseum before. Given that February's pretty cold, dark and wet - do the moms/dads among you think it would be too harsh for a toddler? Of course, we can wrap him well up but if you it'll be bitterly cold, I'd rule out going. Are there any family-friendly sections that are perhaps covered/heated?

I don't suppose any of you have ever been to one of these events? Doors open @ 5pm but the event isn't supposed to start until 7pm. 8pm's our son's usual bedtime - I think an hour will be plenty for him, but do they have any performances at all from 5pm->7pm?

Also,the coliseum doesn't look very big (compared to other stadia I've been to). I'm guessing that seat choice won't be that big of a deal - that the trucks will be perfectly viewable from the worst/furthest-back seat in the house. Would anyone care to disagree?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Just bundle up... and you will be fine.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 AM

415 posts, read 1,779,582 times
Invest in two pairs of earmuffs, for yourself and your child. Not only will they keep you a bit warmer, they will protect you and your child's hearing. I expect the sound level at a monster truck show to be well in excess of 100 dBA, which can damage hearing permanently.

Drew Brees' son wore a pair of earmuffs at the stadium, and it was the right thing to do:

Drew Brees, Son Baylen Celebrate Super Bowl Win (PHOTOS)

You might have noticed Brett Favre wearing purple earplugs as well during his postseason game.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Turns out I was wrong: the sound level at a monster truck show will not be 100 dBA, but 122 dBA! And be careful about carbon monoxide poisoning as well:

Maryland: Monster Jam a high-decibel derby

Carbon Monoxide and Noise Exposure at a Monster Truck and Motocross Show - Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene

There is no safe time period for exposure to a sound level of 122 dBA. You should not be exposed to that sound level for any period of time, ever, for any reason.

My recommendation is to wear earplugs or earmuffs (or both) or don't go at all.

I don't know what to tell you about the carbon monoxide.

edit: get a pair of earmuffs for the wife as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 PM

I hope the OP went to the event had a good time and did not forget to bundle up and more importantly still, wear earplugs!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM

79 posts, read 343,347 times
There are people around the nation that take their kids out in temperatures below freezing. Look at the East Coast! I'm your toddler will be fine with some layers and jacket, hat that covers baby's ears, and knit mittens.

When my older kids were small, they attended pre-k with the kids of a mom who was originally from Michigan. When some parents commented that it was too cold to send the kids out to play for like 10-15 minutes, our Michigan mom cracked up and implied that we were being silly.

Go and have a good time.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
its always cold at night in nor cal

Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM

902 posts, read 2,788,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
its always cold at night in nor cal
No it's not, during the summer there are plenty of nights that require you to wear no more than a t-shirt.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
No it's not, during the summer there are plenty of nights that require you to wear no more than a t-shirt.
Hells yeah! And I seriously cannot wait. This rain is bumming me out.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post

Uh I don't know how many times you have been to the collusium, but I've been to a enough A's v Giants games and have had to snuggle up under a blanket with my wife enough times to know that it is not un common in the middle of july for people to be donning sweat shirts and beanies. It just not really that warm at night all the time , especially in that part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland