Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is good to live in?
Pittsburg 14 36.84%
Antioch 15 39.47%
Bay Point 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM

26 posts, read 192,401 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Concord, CA for about 9 years and liked it very much. It is about 1/2 mile from the border of Walnut Creek. Location is very nice, mostly white people, very little crime.

I'm looking for an apartment in either Antioch or Pittsburg or Bay Point.
I saw some nice looking condos in Lakeview Circle in Pittsburg, and they are not very expensive. I'm not sure about the area and neighborhood. We have a little baby, so, we want to live in peaceful and nice area.

Can anyone tell me about these areas, apartments on these streets look nice and cozy, but its just my opinion on the apartment itself. I never been there and don't know how is it outside.

Lakeview Cir, Pittsburg (gated community with security gate, playground)
Dimaggio Ave, Pittsburg

Peppertree Way, Antioch (similar to Lemontree and L St)
Lemontree Way, Antioch
L St, Antioch
Belmont Ln, Antioch
Winding Ln, Antioch
San Jose Dr, Antioch (has playground, gym/exercise facility)
Rainier Ln, Antioch
Winding Ln, Antioch (has playground, gym/exercise facility)
Horizon Ln, Antioch

Tammy Cir, Bay Point

And since I lived in Concord for 9 years I can tell something about these areas:

1. Meadow Ln, Ellis St, Laguna St, Northwood Cir - Not very good area (a lot of criminals and drug addicts live there)
2. Monument Blvd - a little Mexico, if you are not Hispanic, it's going to be hard for you. Low income people live there.
3. Anything above Monument (toward Treat Blvd) is good area
4. Downtown of Concord - definitely not a good place to hang out around evening. Daytime is OK, but I always prefer downtown of Walnut Creek where you can hang out in the evening. Its safe and nice there.
5. Clayton Rd: from Treat Blvd to Concord Downtown is not good area.
from Treat to Ygnacio Valley is OK area. From Ygnacio Valley and up toward Clayton is good area.
6. Port Chicago, Arnold Industrial Way, and all streets around them in a few miles radius are NOT SAFE areas.

Please let me know about Pittsburg, Antioch, and Bay Point. If you know streets above and been there, during day/evening/night, let me know if it is safe to live there.
Is it safe to just take a walk there in the evening. Or go to have a picnic at parks.
Is it safe to leave a car outside w/o warring that someone will break in?
Do I need to install those iron bars on windows and doors?

PS: What is the racial demographic in these areas? I'm Asian, are there a lot of Asian people in these cities?

Thank you very much,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times
I find your post to be a little offensive. But if I have to suggest an area to you I'd go with an area you haven't listed which is Brentwood. Pittsburgh is really trying to change its image and the newer developments are nice and is closer to the Oakland & SF. I'm not a big fan of Antioch to me it is turning into one big ghetto.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 PM

sorry if i offended anyone, i didnt mean that.
and brentwood and oakley are not an options, since they are far than pittsburg, antioch, and bay point.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM

79 posts, read 343,210 times
The only areas I know about are:

No way would I consider these:

Peppertree Way, Antioch (similar to Lemontree and L St)
Lemontree Way, Antioch
L St, Antioch

If I moved to Pittsburgh, I'd consider the Highlands Ranch development or similar.

Out of Antioch, I would recommend the community with Winding Lane. It's a no rental, owner-occupied community, which means that the facilities remain well-kept. I'm looking to buy a condo for my kids, and I'm considering that condo development. Keep in mind, that if you choose to move, you won't be able to rent out the Winding Lane property.

Contrary to perception, the crime rates in Brentwood, Antioch, and Concord are similar. Brentwood might have one-point lower (4/10 with 10 being the worst) personal crime rate than Concord or Antioch, but Brentwood's property crime rate is as high as Pittsburgh's and higher than Concord's. All of East County (except for the Discovery Bay gated communities) seem to be plagued by the similar issues.

I live in Concord. I live in the Crossings. I frequent the Monument area and have never had a problem. I'm also looking at condos there. Those can be turned into a rental if my kids decide to move. The crime has been spreading around a bit. There have been some issues in the condos off of Clayton Valley Road, and I always thought that area was pretty safe. North Concord seems to be having trouble, but they have many nice condo and town home developments. What I'm trying to say is that the crime seems to be less isolated to any particular area(s). We're seeing more of it spreading to the 'nice' neighborhoods. This is not unique to Concord, either. Walnut Creek is having the same problem. My in-laws live in Alamo, and they got an alarm system because crime is creeping into all communities.

If you're open to town homes, there are town homes next to my development. I think it's called Live Oak. It's a nice development. Seems pretty safe to me.

My other suggestion, would be to consider Martinez. I think Martinez is a great community, and there are many nice areas there.

I think you're seeing more crime as a result of the recession, and that should remedy itself when the economy improves and jobs pick up.

Anyway, now is the time to snap up a property. My in-laws have purchased several town homes in North Concord.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 AM

I checked the prices on the Winding Lane, it looks cheap, $80000 for 3bds and 2 bath... is there a reason?
cuz in Lakeview Cir in Pittsburg, for $75000 you can buy only 2 bdr and 1 bath.

I'm looking to spend about that much for hopefully 2 bdr in safe place.
I live in Concord on Treat Blvd on the border of Walnut Creek for 5 years, and never had any problems, neither in my community nor on the streets when I'm going to do some grocery shopping.

PS: Like I said about Clayton Valley Road. Anything from Concord downtown to Treat Blvd on Clayton Rd is not good, from Treat Blvd to Ygnacio Rd is OK, and from Ygnacio Rd to Clayton City is good.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM

126 posts, read 161,437 times
So, White = nice and little crime.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 PM

uptown, i'm not being racist, but it is true.
white people more likely to have a job, and not sitting on walfare whole their lifes.

thats why i prefer and want to live near white/asian people rather than black/latino

Old 02-22-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareaguy925 View Post
I checked the prices on the Winding Lane, it looks cheap, $80000 for 3bds and 2 bath... is there a reason?
cuz in Lakeview Cir in Pittsburg, for $75000 you can buy only 2 bdr and 1 bath.

I'm looking to spend about that much for hopefully 2 bdr in safe place.
I live in Concord on Treat Blvd on the border of Walnut Creek for 5 years, and never had any problems, neither in my community nor on the streets when I'm going to do some grocery shopping.

PS: Like I said about Clayton Valley Road. Anything from Concord downtown to Treat Blvd on Clayton Rd is not good, from Treat Blvd to Ygnacio Rd is OK, and from Ygnacio Rd to Clayton City is good.
Yes, there is a reason: Investors won't buy there because it's owner-occupied only. This means far fewer buyers for these properties than for properties that don't have limits on rental units. The benefit to you is that the occupants on Winding Lane will care for their properties because they own them. Renters are typically transient and don't care for rental properties the same way owners do.

You should go and look at them. I think that you'll find their quite nice. The area outside of that development; however, does have it's fair share of rentals, and it's not going to be as nice as the condo community.

I live in Concord near Limeridge. We've never locked our doors unless we go on vacation, and we've never had a problem with any crime here. The worst I've seen is someone on our street taking recyclables on garbage day.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
white people more likely to have a job, and not sitting on walfare whole their lifes.

thats why i prefer and want to live near white/asian people rather than black/latino
Then stay away from East County. You should only be looking in Lamorinda, Danville, San Ramon, Alamo and Pleasanton. You should be looking at $200K+ to get a place in those areas.

My ex-husband is Latino, and he's never been on welfare. He's always worked and never been involved in a crime. Two of my children are second-generation Mexican-Americans. One is a Navy submariner and a recent veteran. My oldest works. They've never been on welfare either.

Stereotyping people is not very nice. Anyway, your cheapest condo would be in San Ramon. It's $130K for a 1 bedroom and 1 bath.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM

126 posts, read 161,437 times
Quote:

Why do racists always start with "I'm not racist or I'm not being racist" then say something racist right after their ridiculous intro. FYI more whites are on welfare than all other groups combined, especially whites in those area's your questioning. Have fun in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland